PDA

View Full Version : Mice upping the ante in the Cat vs Mice wars

AppleMatt
Dec 19, 2008, 04:18 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7792475.stm

Mice suspected in deadly cat fire

Mice may be responsible for a blaze that killed nearly 100 cats at an animal shelter near the Canadian city of Toronto, officials say. The fire at the humane society shelter in Oshawa also killed three dogs and some rats that were up for adoption. An initial report from the fire marshal says mice or rats chewing through electrical wires in the ceiling are likely to have sparked the blaze. Offers of help have been pouring in from animal lovers across Canada.

"It's unfortunate and ironic that mice caused the fire that killed the cats," Toronto Humane Society spokesman Ian McConachie told the BBC News website. "Unfortunately, the mice probably perished in the fire as well," he added. The $250,000 (137,000) fire is still under investigation by the Ontario Fire Marshal's office. Mr McConachie said it would be some days before a final report would be released. In all, only nine dogs, two cats and one rat were rescued in Wednesday's early morning blaze. They are being housed in a nearby municipal shelter, while volunteers rebuild the burnt-down shelter for the Humane Society of Durham Region.

AppleMatt

Dec 19, 2008, 04:56 PM
Heh. How sad but ironic at the same time!

bradl
Dec 19, 2008, 05:02 PM
Darwin Award.

BL.

Vivid.Inferno
Dec 19, 2008, 11:53 PM
Darwin Award.

BL.

to bad they only go to stupid people.

It's a real tragedy that all those poor cats died. I hope it was mice. If it turns out to be arson then there is one sick SOB out there.

Counterfit
Dec 20, 2008, 12:04 AM
Jerry 100 - Tom ?

Or should that be Itchy and Scratchy? :(

LeahM
Dec 20, 2008, 01:11 AM
Thats so sad, all I can think of is the panic that the poor animals went through as everything was burning around them.. I suppose I let my mind wander a little too far.

Henri Gaudier
Dec 20, 2008, 07:19 AM
Thats so sad, all I can think of is the panic that the poor animals went through as everything was burning around them.. I suppose I let my mind wander a little too far.

No not at all. Empathy is a wonderful, if painful thing but it does help you to become a better, more compassionate person.

Scepticalscribe
Dec 20, 2008, 02:00 PM
Darwin Award.

BL.

Well, yes, perhaps. Wonderfully ironical, given the more usual relationships between cats and mice, but rather tragic for the poor burnt cats.

Cheers

dmw007
Dec 20, 2008, 02:35 PM
While it is unfortunate that the cats & dogs died in the blaze, the irony is rather amusing. :D :o

Raid
Dec 20, 2008, 10:16 PM
I never thought of it that way. :o It's pretty sad though, only a handful of animals made it out alive. :(

SMDrew
Dec 21, 2008, 07:53 PM
That's pretty sad. Hopefully it's not the same one that housed Blueberry, the bunny with a wheelchair :(

SmurfBoxMasta
Jan 4, 2009, 09:20 AM
:eek: