Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

embalmess

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Hello, I need to convert a home movie AVI file, is there a way to do this so I can put it in iTunes? (convert to Quicktime?)

Thanks!

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
Download HandBrake 0.9.3 (latest version). Not only can it rip/convert DVDs, it now can convert just about any file via the ffmpeg project. I'm currently using it to convert Katt Williams, "It's Pimpin', Pimpin'" (.avi file) to a H.264 .mp4 file right now. My fans sure are spinnin'!

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
I love me some VisualHub. I found that it was smaller and easier to work with than Handbrake was. It's probably a matter of personal preference, but I much prefer the simplicity of VisualHub to Handbrake. Also, the icon is way cooler.:D

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Another vote for Visualhub here. It can take nearly any format and convert it. It's the VLC of conversion apps.

embalmess

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
I have handbrake (love it, love the drink, love the pineapple!!) but it doesn't seem to "find" the AVI file that I dragged out right onto my desktop from iPhoto. Now, I have successfully converted movies into iTunes for my iPod, so what am I doing wrong?? Can someone give me the play by play?

Thanks! DumDum

p.s. It says "Source: No Valid Title Found"

embalmess

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
PeterM.. I downloaded visualhub, I gotta pay for it after trial run, but I did convert my AVI to an MP4 and it still won't work in iMovie *sigh* :eek:

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
I appreciate your open mind and willingness to give it a shot. I am sorry it didn't work out. Hopefully someone here will be able to help you get it on track.

embalmess

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
**sigh** It says I need QuickTime PRO and gotta buy it. I did just like you said, and my "show movie properties" was light gray but I could still click on it, says I need to upgrade. Sheesh, am I going to be able to figure this out?

jdsam

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2007
Hanover, NH ... for now
What movie file properties does HB not support? For example I have an .avi that I would like to convert to .mp4 but it doesn't seem to work in HB. The file properties in QT say video track= DivX 5.0 and audio track=MPEG Layer 3. Is there a reason that shouldn't work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.