Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I did some digging around and found a tool called ResMerger (in /Developer/Tools) that looks really useful for a task I'm trying to do. Unfortunately, it doesn't fix ID conflicts - instead, it just reports that there were resources with the same ID. What I'd like to do is automatically reassign the resource IDs across the various files before running ResMerger on them, but I haven't the foggiest idea how to do this. I suppose I could write a little command-line Carbon tool that does the job... I'm rather new to Mac OS X programming in general, at least with Xcode. I'm a Java developer, so all this Carbon/Cocoa stuff is new to me.

Also, I don't care about most of the resources - only one type of resource interests me. If I need to run this again with a different resource type, I have no qualms about finding the type in the code and changing it.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
If this is for an existing project you're probably better off writing your own tool to do this. If this is a new project, I'd stop using resource files completely. There are much better alternatives now such as nibs, images, strings files, etc.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
If this is for an existing project you're probably better off writing your own tool to do this. If this is a new project, I'd stop using resource files completely. There are much better alternatives now such as nibs, images, strings files, etc.
Yes, this I understand. I'm not writing a program that uses old-style resources. Instead, what I'm doing is the exact opposite - collating old-style resources so they can be mass-converted to the modern format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.