Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frogcat

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Well I just found a problem with 10.5.6.

After upgrading I've been having errors and exceptions concerning my graphics card. The funny thing is sometimes they do nothing, but i get the error messages in my console as the NVDA(OpenGL) errors anyways.

Otherwise, I've noticed some things as well when I am connected to my 20" Dell LCD.

(1) When waking up my display from sleep (just display not HDD), my laptop display flashes, goes black, flashes and then stabilizes.

(2) Earlier this morning, I was connected to my monitor while running front row. After about an hour, my computer locked up. I forced shut-down my laptop and started it up again to find that in my console it was related to the NVDA(OpenGL) errors I've been having. This issue did not reproduce itself after I tried 3 more times.

The next thing I did was archive and install because I refused to accept a hardware issue and turn it back into Apple. This ended up fixing my first issue completely.

To make sure my mind was not playing tricks I thoroughly tested them by trying to reproduce the 2 problems before. No problems. I then uploaded 10.5.6 again to be more thorough. And yes, the issues showed up again.

I want to know if anyone else has similar issues. I hate to downgrade to 10.5.5, but if it means i might get lock down anytime in the future then i might have to.

(unrelated to these issues... it takes my computer 10 seconds to sleep, where the sleep-light actually starts blinking, so is this a bad thing or does it just mean I have a lot of files in my HDD?)

Thank You All

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
(unrelated to these issues... it takes my computer 10 seconds to sleep, where the sleep-light actually starts blinking, so is this a bad thing or does it just mean I have a lot of files in my HDD?)

The default sleep mode in Leopard is safe sleep. That means that the entire contents of memory are dumped to your hard drive before the computer is allowed to sleep. This can take a while, sometimes 5-10 seconds is fairly typical.

I disabled safe sleep to make the computer avoid the hard drive step and the Macbook sleeps almost instantly. If you lose power while it's sleeping, the disadvantage is you'll have to reboot when you get power again so any open documents etc will be lost.

To make your computer sleep fast, enter this in a terminal:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

To undo the change and put it back to default behavior, type this instead:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.