Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeonX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Well, most of you have read about lines and flickering, these issues appear on 9C9A screen by Chi Mei. One poster claimed to have another screen in another forum, I wonder if there is anyone else and if there might be a silent shift to better screens? So if you got another screen, post here.

Please do not post here, if you want to let us know that you have 9C9A and it's flawless. I know there are happy people out there.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well, most of you have read about lines and flickering, these issues appear on 9C9A screen by Chi Mei. One poster claimed to have another screen in another forum, I wonder if there is anyone else and if there might be a silent shift to better screens? So if you got another screen, post here.

Please do not post here, if you want to let us know that you have 9C9A and it's flawless. I know there are happy people out there.

I didn't "claim" I showed absolute proof via a screen shot. :rolleyes:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Not trying to be cool, just trying to get this dude to understand there's another panel out there. No lines here as far as I can see. And no, I'm not taking a pic of anything. Rest assured, I don't drop $1800 on a machine and then proceed to talk myself into it being perfect. :)

Here's my panel info (finally found that ***** terminal command I was looking for):
Model: 00009C90
AU Optronics
B133EW03 V2

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
Not trying to be cool, just trying to get this dude to understand there's another panel out there. No lines here as far as I can see. And no, I'm not taking a pic of anything. Rest assured, I don't drop $1800 on a machine and then proceed to talk myself into it being perfect. :)

Here's my panel info (finally found that ***** terminal command I was looking for):
Model: 00009C90
AU Optronics
B133EW03 V2

I think it's cool you have a different panel :)Not that you were trying to be cool :)

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Hmm. That's interesting. My week 45 comes back as:

Manufacturer: 610
Model: 9C9A
AU Optronics
B133EW03 V0

So... my 9C9A is AU Optronics, not ChiMei. V0 vs V2?

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Regarding the #B133EW03: There appears to be the same panel, in v.1, v.2, and v.3; iFixit's teardown shows a v.1, adding to the 9c9a v.0 and jessica's 9c90 v.2

3KHYMU2dCOnChZLa.large

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
AUO is cheaaaaaaaaaaaaap.

Jess, you are so lucky and yes you are COOL :D I am glad that I did not give you my MBA cuz you would be cursed then :rolleyes:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Hmm. That's interesting. My week 45 comes back as:

Manufacturer: 610
Model: 9C9A
AU Optronics
B133EW03 V0

So... my 9C9A is AU Optronics, not ChiMei. V0 vs V2?

Lenox I believe was the one touting the idea that my panel as well as the 9C9A were ChiMei. To be honest, I had presumed mine was an AU based on the fact that the MacBooks with AU panels were actually better, not as great as my MB Air AU panel, but better all the same. That said, it would seem to me that thus far the MB Air Rev B HDD models all have AU panels, superior panels to the MacBooks as well as coming in 1st and 2nd versions.

AU panels, at least my panel, was under $300 to buy on a couple of sites when googled. So yeah, they're "cheap" and if something were to happen I'd probably just replace myself if AppleCare didn't cover it. :)

Now I bought mine on Monday last the second someone said theirs was on a truck. I would presume that Apple took whatever they had to take and ship it out to those who ordered online clearing out their backlog. Some may have gone to the stores, but I would imagine the online orders were basically filled first. Does that mean those who ordered online have the AU v1 panel and I just so happened to get a v2? I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has bought theirs in-store in the last 5 days and what panel they have.

In order to check your panel open terminal and past this command:
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

AUO is cheaaaaaaaaaaaaap.

Jess, you are so lucky and yes you are COOL :D I am glad that I did not give you my MBA cuz you would be cursed then :rolleyes:

Honestly, I wouldn't have felt cursed but I am glad that I just went to the shop and got it. I don't know what problems you're having, but I'm very happy with mine.

LeonX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Lenox I believe was the one touting the idea that my panel as well as the 9C9A were ChiMei.

Yes, mea culpa, but I did get it from another forum where somebody performed the same check as you did. Obviously that was just wrong. Anyway, I am glad that at least there are diffrent panels out there. I will check my brandnew MBA that is waiting to be picked up for a refund on Monday. This one is a week 48 - so now the question is: Did the change the panel for the entire line or was Jessica just an exception. Panel IDs, please, guys!

LeonX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
week 44
and this is what i got for the terminal command
P .00 6
B133EW03 V 0
Color LCD

Mine is the same as jessica's

That's weird. The screen type is just the same as the one above thats marked as 9C9A. I always thought a diffrent screen identifier represents a diffrent model...

And in another thread (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/615988/) you claimed to have a "9C9A" screen, so you still get the same result as Jessica with a "9C90"? Is the identifier worthless then?

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
That's weird. The screen type is just the same as the one above thats marked as 9C9A. I always thought a diffrent screen identifier represents a diffrent model...

And in another thread (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/615988/) you claimed to have a "9C9A" screen, so you still get the same result as Jessica with a "9C90"? Is the identifier worthless then?

The other macbook is mine.This is my son's, Not sure if it works but that is the screen.

Justit ...you are unable to read?

here is mine But the strange part to me is, when I use the terminal command on MINE, it shows the same as my son's????

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    55 KB · Views: 58

LeonX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
The other macbook is mine.This is my son's, Not sure if it works but that is the screen.

Justit ...you are unable to read?

No, he was actually right. In another thread you said you have a "9C9A", here you said yours is the same as Jessica's. Well this is kind of interesting since it matters what panel type is the non-defective one IF its a screen issue what I strongly believe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.