Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nachtxeule

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
I used to update my drivers for my graphics card on windows on a monthly basis, here however... I don't know what's going on?

care to explain :confused:

nachtxeule

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
We don't get updates. That's that. Really should have put this in the appropriate forum, too.

k there boss.

lol forums...

whisper: there is a life outside the internets

now since i know you are a moderator ;], perhaps you should learn how to post properly and tell me why there isn't updates... since i asked for the reasoning...

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Since there's a lot less demand for it, drivers aren't updated at the same rate - not sure how it works on the windows side of things, though I imagine Nvidia and Ati are exclusively responsible for driver maintenance and push out updates regularly to give a "value added" proposition for their products. For Mac versions, Apple writes all the drivers for Nvidia cards (and manufactures them too, or at least puts Nvidia's parts together) and collaborates with Ati on their drivers. So the drivers are only updated when there's a specific need or OS update regularly scheduled - when Apple feels like it. Apple's never paid a whole lot of attention to GPUs, though I have hopes that this will change with their OpenCL initiative and the movement towards GPGPU computing.

nachtxeule

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
thank you strudel,

isn't snow leopard going to be better for opengl?

i just don't get apple sometimes... if you get the gamer crowd, you sell lots of computers... or..... am i not understanding something here? ;\

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
Graphics card drivers will show up in Apple Software Update. Sometimes they're by themselves but usually they're hidden in bigger updates. For instance, 10.5.6 had updated drivers for ATI cards in the aluminum iMacs.

PS-If you're running Boot Camp, update the drivers just like you used to: manually downloading from the manufacturer's site.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Tallest Skill is not a moderator, and he does have a point - this is the Mac Pro forum, not the MacBook forum. ;)

But to answer your question, updates on the OS X side of things are often rare to nonexistent as far as NVIDIA and ATI go. They do happen, yes, but they're not weekly/monthly events like they are on the Windows side of life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.