Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RudeDog1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
Im going to make this as short and sweet as possible to avoid any confusion.

I have 2 broken ipods (both 5th gen).
ipod 1 bad connector where you plug in the charger
ipod 2 no audio

I figured I could combine the 2 broken ipods and make 1 working ipod. I switched the logic board with the working charge connector over to the the ipod with the good headphone jack (im assuming thats what the problem with that one is)

I plug in the wall charger and get a unhappy mac with the apple.com/supoort/ipod url underneath, I figured it was probably just a loose connection when i was putting it back together so I took apart the wires and secured them all again. Plugged it in and got another sad mac and apple url.

So i thought it might have been the drive, swapped out drive and still same result. Then i figured ok i guess the logic board went bad in process, so i fix the charger connector on the first ipod and plug everything back in, get the sad mac with url again.

Does anyone know where I might be going wrong with this? Ive noticed the wire in the corner next to the charger doesnt go in all the way but it still seems to secure. If anybody has any ideas I greatly appreciate them.

RD1~~! TIA!

cmooreou

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Ive noticed the wire in the corner next to the charger doesnt go in all the way but it still seems to secure.

u mean the battery cable? if that were the problem you would not get a reaction from the ipod at all. remember that the hard drive has two connections, one to the cable, and one from the cable to the logic board, check to make sure both are secured.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.