Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kas23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I know there is not a simple answer to this, or maybe no answer at all, but I think we may be able to have a reasonable discussion about this.

Now, I think majority of the native apps (Safari, phone, SMS, phone, Google Maps, etc.) are great. Of course they could use some tweaking and polishing, but the Calendar and Notes apps are just horrid and take up too much space. What was Apple thinking when they placed these apps on the phone?

I have been looking into other apps like RTM, OmniFocus, and Todo and these apps are excellent. They are very well thought out and it appears like their developers actually put time into them. These apps embarrass the regular calendar app. Why didn't Apple put the same effort in? It seems like they just threw it on for the sake of it.

The same can be said for the native Notes app. It does absolutely nothing and just takes up space. Then you look at other notes apps like Evernote and Younote and you wonder why Apple didn't give the effort. It's not like Apple isn't creative and couldn't think of good useful features.

Do you really think Apple just passed the buck to the developers to give them a chance? Is it a money thing? Let the developers come up with something so we can get a 30% cut instead of nothing?

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I completely disagree.

Something like Omnifocus is complete overkill for 95% of users. But it serves a niche. Calendar is a very good app IMO and Notes does what it does so that anybody can pick it up. If you require a more complex note taking app then there are plenty available. Apple shouldnt try to be all things for all people.

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
I think the iPhone calendar is alright. Could use some improvements (which app doesn't). Like allowing more features like ical. As for notes. The only complain i have for it is syncing. If it can do a mobileme sync, that would be excellent.

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
I think the iPhone calendar is alright. Could use some improvements (which app doesn't). Like allowing more features like ical. As for notes. The only complain i have for it is syncing. If it can do a mobileme sync, that would be excellent.

Ya....notes should have more functionality.

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
I picked up notepad because it provided some basic functions I think should be part of the base notes app. It allows syncing and note creation on the desktop (mac anyway). It as allows grouping notes into folders as well as simple security. Not overly fancy or complex for a new user, just pricey for something that should be part of the basic app set.

kas23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I completely disagree.

Something like Omnifocus is complete overkill for 95% of users. But it serves a niche. Calendar is a very good app IMO and Notes does what it does so that anybody can pick it up. If you require a more complex note taking app then there are plenty available. Apple shouldnt try to be all things for all people.

So, I assume you have not used, downloaded, or have any GTD or note taking apps on you iPhone, right? If you have, then you obviously have seen a deficiency in these native apps. If not, you really should try them out. You'll see a world of difference. I never ever thought these kind of apps would be useful for my personal needs until I tried using them.

Apple does not have to be all things for all people, but they should at least let us delete their apps - they're taking up too much real estate.

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
The Calendar app needs some back-up/restore feature. Before the 2.1 iPhone update, my iPhone was constantly crashing, and sometimes restoring as a new iPhone was the only thing that worked in getting it running smoothly again. I got tired of re-entering all my appointments, and was quite thrilled when SaiSuke came out (back-up at and restore from Gcal).

I agree that Apple should allow us to delete the native apps. I never use the calendar, the notes, and the stock apps.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
I really do like iCal but Notes is useless IMO because you can't sync/share them. All the other apps are simple and efficient!

ChrisN

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
So, I assume you have not used, downloaded, or have any GTD or note taking apps on you iPhone, right? If you have, then you obviously have seen a deficiency in these native apps. If not, you really should try them out. You'll see a world of difference. I never ever thought these kind of apps would be useful for my personal needs until I tried using them.

Apple does not have to be all things for all people, but they should at least let us delete their apps - they're taking up too much real estate.

Actually, I have about 8 apps, including OmniFocus, Evernote, Things, Zenbe, RTM and ToDo. I'm something of a GTD nerd and sadly have more apps to GTD than things on my actual GTD list. However, for a lot of people Notes is just fine as a note taking app.

I agree that we should be able to delete default apps.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
iCal is excellent if you use iCal for OS X and/or Outlook. It's even better if you use MobileMe. For me, iCal is the most important app on my phone, because I have multiple, sometimes many, events scheduled on a daily basis and I am constantly adding new events every day. So, I think it depends on what you are trying to use it for. It is useless as a 'to do' app, but then again, it isn't designed to be one.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Personally I think notes is perfect for me. Scribble a little note for myself to remind me something. I can't think what other functionality I would use it for...

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Week view would be lovely, I use Calendar as it is though, find it very handy as my memory is diminishing quickly.

Notes is good for simple shopping lists, DVDs to watch, little tidbits of info etc etc.

I don't think either of the apps are bad, let alone useless, they serve a purpose, and they do it quite well.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
I know there is not a simple answer to this, or maybe no answer at all, but I think we may be able to have a reasonable discussion about this.

Now, I think majority of the native apps (Safari, phone, SMS, phone, Google Maps, etc.) are great. Of course they could use some tweaking and polishing, but the Calendar and Notes apps are just horrid and take up too much space. What was Apple thinking when they placed these apps on the phone?

I have been looking into other apps like RTM, OmniFocus, and Todo and these apps are excellent. They are very well thought out and it appears like their developers actually put time into them. These apps embarrass the regular calendar app. Why didn't Apple put the same effort in? It seems like they just threw it on for the sake of it.

The same can be said for the native Notes app. It does absolutely nothing and just takes up space. Then you look at other notes apps like Evernote and Younote and you wonder why Apple didn't give the effort. It's not like Apple isn't creative and couldn't think of good useful features.

Do you really think Apple just passed the buck to the developers to give them a chance? Is it a money thing? Let the developers come up with something so we can get a 30% cut instead of nothing?

they don't need to spend time on them because they serve the basic purpose and are offered to all users
there are plenty of app store apps to replace them if a person needs them
what apple does need to do is allow you to delete/hide them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.