Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maccam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Wisconsin
Hello all!

Before you start looking at this, I thought I’d tell you this is mostly a rant.
(I had some thinking time during my time-out :eek:)

Okay, so can any of you tell me why Apple can’t make a laptop like these?
(I hope Steve Job sees this before he dies :p)

MacNano

10” LED display (1024x768)
1.2ghz
1gb ram
120gb HD
intel graphics (GMA 950 64mb Vram)
1 usb port
1 firewire port
One mini display port
Audio in/out
Card slot

BlueTooth 2.0
Airport Wireless N

Battery life: 5 hours

Mac OS 10.5 leopard + iLife 08’

Size: 10”x7.5”x 1”
Weight: 2.75 pounds

$699

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MacNano maybe MacNanoPro?

1.6ghz
2gb ram
160gb HD
Intel graphics (x1300 144mb Vram)
1 usb port
1 firewire port
One mini display port
Audio in/out
Card slot

BlueTooth 2.0
Airport Wireless N

Weight: 2.99 pounds

$899

There’s no excuse, MSI wind has one comparable to those and Psystar is going to have one comparable. Apple can dump the MacBook Air and go with these! Any thoughts?

[Rant over]
maccam

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
They may do in time, Apple tend to be very slow/cautious in new ventures.

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
Is there much demand for systems like that though? In the PC world there are lots of manufacturers filling in all the niches. Apple need to produce devices with a large enough potential market to cover the time and money spent developing it.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
I wouldn't count on this, It's really not apple's game. They don't want to offer cheap computers with slow hardware. You have to remember the Netbooks generally run non-fully featured Operating systems. Leopard wasn't designed for this. Also You mentioned iLife, that also has some hefty requirements. In order for apple to do this you would need to chop things out. If you haven't noticed already apple doesn't like sacrifice.

Nor only that but steve even said they aren't interested in this. I wouldn't be holding my breath if i were you.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
we would all love to see something like this.

however. i find that apple holds the beauty and design of their computers just as high as they do their performance. They must create or incorporate something others have yet to. I dont think with todays technology apple can create an ultraportable, ultrabeautiful, pro, or even well equipped note(net)book they will match the design of their current line up.

thick, slow and hot are not apples favorite words.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Comments in bold.
Hello all!

Before you start looking at this, I thought I’d tell you this is mostly a rant.
(I had some thinking time during my time-out :eek:)

Okay, so can any of you tell me why Apple can’t make a laptop like these?
(I hope Steve Job sees this before he dies :p)You're a huge jerk. What's so funny about the possibility of anybody being sick?

MacNano

10” LED display (1024x768) Watch previous keynotes. SJ made it clear people want a reasonably sized screen to work on (i.e. 13")
1.2ghz Again, SJ made it clear he doesn't want a computer that is underpowered.
1gb ram No.
120gb HD
1 usb port
1 firewire port If the new MacBook doesn't have it why would a 10" tiny version of one have this?
One mini display port
Audio in/out
Card slot

BlueTooth 2.0
Airport Wireless N

$699 Apple doesn't need to compete in this pricing market. And with the way SJ recently described Netbooks doesn't look like there will be one any time soon...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MacNano maybe MacNanoPro? What a bad name.

1.6ghz
2gb ram
160gb HD
Intel graphics (x1300 144mb Vram)
1 usb port
1 firewire port
One mini display port
Audio in/out
Card slot

BlueTooth 2.0
Airport Wireless N

Weight: 2.99 pounds

$899

There’s no excuse, MSI wind has one comparable to those and Psystar is going to have one comparable. Apple can dump the MacBook Air and go with these! Any thoughts? Why don't you go buy an "MSI wind" then? Or wait for Psystar?

[Rant over]
maccam

jfull15

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
MacNano

1.2ghz
1gb ram
120gb HD
1 usb port
1 firewire port
One mini display port
Audio in/out
Card slot

BlueTooth 2.0
Airport Wireless N

$699

I could see Apple Doing a smaller Macbook Air like 10" or 11". However, Apple is not going to be sparing with ports. For starters, no current mac has a card slot. The ports you would get would be: 1 USB, Headphone, & MiniDisplay Port. Bluetooth, Airport, OSX, and iLife are givens. I seriously doubt they would get the price down to $699, it would probably end up at $899 if they really wanted to compete with the netbook market. I'd say $999.

There’s no excuse, MSI wind has one comparable to those and Psystar is going to have one comparable. Apple can dump the MacBook Air and go with these! Any thoughts?

[Rant over]
maccam

Apple doesn't want to compete with the MSI Wind or Psystar. That's not Apple's worry. They will not dump the macbook air for this product, but possibly evolve the Air into a product like this.

At times I'm all up for an Apple netbook, and other times I think there's a snowball's chance in hell. You buy netbooks because they are cheap and do what you need hem to do. Apple is notorious for never making products like this. It would be nice to have an OSX netbook - or just a beautiful Apple-style netbook - but I really don't think it will happen.

maccam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Wisconsin
Comments in bold.

Whoa!

Sorry I offended you, maybe you don't understand just how important a REAL ultra-portable means to me.

My point about Steve was that I wanted him to see this and MAKE it before he dies, I fear that any other CEO will fail (except maybe Phill Schiller).

And your point about the screen, well guess what, he never asked me!

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Whoa!

Sorry I offended you, maybe you don't understand just how important a REAL ultra-portable means to me.

My point about Steve was that I wanted him to see this and MAKE it before he dies, I fear that any other CEO will fail (except maybe Phill Schiller).

And your point about the screen, well guess what, he never asked me!

You haven't offended me. But in your post it sounds like you're making a big joke about Steve Jobs being ill and I'm pretty sure other members here would agree that it's no joke at all. We all know that Apple can't satisfy anyone. And it's OK to rant. I think it's a good thing that Apple doesn't listen to individual complaints and create new products based on requests. A machine you described would be cool ,but based on past presentations, it's clear that's just not where Apple is going.

jfull15

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
You haven't offended me. But in your post it sounds like you're making a big joke about Steve Jobs being ill and I'm pretty sure other members here would agree that it's no joke at all. We all know that Apple can't satisfy anyone. And it's OK to rant. I think it's a good thing that Apple doesn't listen to individual complaints and create new products based on requests. A machine you described would be cool ,but based on past presentations, it's clear that's just not where Apple is going.

AMEN.

iMacIreland

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2008
I can see it happening, it makes sense, NetBooks are taking a massive market share in the notebook business. Apple is missing out on a niche market that is exploding. I see so many people in my school have bought netbooks because they are so light and easy to cary around to classes. Apple are number 1 on college campuses, and its always nice to have something thats lighter to carry.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
I can see it happening, it makes sense, NetBooks are taking a massive market share in the notebook business. Apple is missing out on a niche market that is exploding. I see so many people in my school have bought netbooks because they are so light and easy to cary around to classes. Apple are number 1 on college campuses, and its always nice to have something thats lighter to carry.

Apple is doing the right thing in not participating in a race to the bottom. The netbooks keep getting cheaper and cheaper. How much profit do you think can be made on a single netbook? As I've said before, Apple doesn't need to compete in this market - it's plenty profitable as it is now.

Also, Apple said it's an emerging market and that they'll wait and see where it goes before jumping in. Makes sense. Soon they're going to start including netbooks with cereal boxes.

jfull15

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008

Apple isn't aiming for this niche, though. Apple's goal isn't to be the WalMart of consumer electronics. They like full-featured, higher-end machines.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Oh lawd not another one of these threads, is the mac netbook the new xMac now?

Lay it to rest, Apple won't release a netbook, they have no reason to.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
First, what kind of a god-forsaken name is "MacNanoPro"?!%#!^#?

I think Apple's lineup is pretty solid. Majority of the netbooks are toys. I would rather buy a quality computer (note the word 'computer', not PC or Mac) than scrunch up my fingers on a cheap keyboard, a tinyass trackpad, squint like I just checked out some ugly chick by mistake, and always about my limitations for the hardware. No. The people who say the MBA is overpriced should learn the words quality, hardware, and graphics. The ASUS EEE has the worst trackpad I've ever touched. The button click is total crap, the keyboard is cheap and small. The graphics... urgh. One word should be enough.

So the reason why Apple will not make this kind of junky toy is because the smaller things get, the more probable the quality control will slip. Things are smaller and easily missed. Apart from that, you will make little profit since that sub $500 range is very competitive. If Apple sells 2 iMacs vs 5 iNetBooks (sorry...), the 2 iMacs will generate more profit, with a higher change of user satisfaction over the superior hardware.

maccam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Wisconsin
First, what kind of a god-forsaken name is "MacNanoPro"?!%#!^#?

I think Apple's lineup is pretty solid. Majority of the netbooks are toys. I would rather buy a quality computer (note the word 'computer', not PC or Mac) than scrunch up my fingers on a cheap keyboard, a tinyass trackpad, squint like I just checked out some ugly chick by mistake, and always about my limitations for the hardware. No. The people who say the MBA is overpriced should learn the words quality, hardware, and graphics. The ASUS EEE has the worst trackpad I've ever touched. The button click is total crap, the keyboard is cheap and small. The graphics... urgh. One word should be enough.

So the reason why Apple will not make this kind of junky toy is because the smaller things get, the more probable the quality control will slip. Things are smaller and easily missed. Apart from that, you will make little profit since that sub $500 range is very competitive. If Apple sells 2 iMacs vs 5 iNetBooks (sorry...), the 2 iMacs will generate more profit, with a higher change of user satisfaction over the superior hardware.

I see, so your telling me that whoever makes the "MSI wind" doesn't make any money??

Man, what an amazing company to sell us a product that they don't make money on.

So Apple should quit making the iPhone because it's only $200 vs. the iMac.
If Apple sells 2 iMacs vs 5 iPhones, the 2 iMacs will generate more profit, with a higher change of user satisfaction over the superior hardware.

pawn3d

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2008
Is there much demand for systems like that though?
In Europe, yes. That little sony vaio, TR3, i think it's called, is the highest selling laptop in the UK.

All in all, I don't see what the issue is. If Apple makes a 13" Macbook and a 3.5" iPhone. I can't see why they wouldn't have something in between.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
I see, so your telling me that whoever makes the "MSI wind" doesn't make any money??

Man, what an amazing company to sell us a product that they don't make money on.

So Apple should quit making the iPhone because it's only $200 vs. the iMac.

I never saw they don't make any money don't know where you got that from. But yeah he's right they will make more money if they sell iMacs, and where did the iPhone come into this? That's in it's own category.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Where's the market for these kinds of things? So-called 'netbooks' have always seemed to be more of a gimmick than something that actually sells. Take for example the college market where Apple has taken enormous market share in the last 2 years: nobody. would. buy. one. Only the nerd computer science major down the hall would be running around with some tiny little laptop.

pawn3d

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2008
Only the nerd computer science major down the hall would be running around with some tiny little laptop.
That's the kind of mac language I don't like.

I like nerds. Everybody in the worlds got Garage Band and Photoshop. Nerd are smart and for the most part: Successful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.