PDA

View Full Version : MX Revolution, Bluetooth dongle and a printer

sine-nomine
Dec 21, 2008, 08:29 PM
I currently have an HP Photosmart C4180 that I would like to share between two MacBooks. I purchased a Net Gear wireless print server a while ago, but of course I cannot scan a document without hooking the printer up to one of the laptops. I would prefer to find a non-Wifi solution that would let either computer use the printer to print and scan.

Ideally, I would like to upgrade to something like the C8180, which has Wifi (should I need it) and Bluetooth (though I haven't found whether I could scan over Bluetooth), but I can't justify spending money I don't really have when the current printer works fine.

I have been looking for a nice Bluetooth mouse for a few months now, but the one I really want, the MX Revolution, is not Bluetooth. There is a Bluetooth version available in the 5500 keyboard/mouse set, but it's very expensive, and I don't need the keyboard. However, the Bluetooth dongle seems like it might be helpful in solving my printer dilemma. So, my questions are:

1.) Could I plug the Bluetooth dongle that comes with the 5500 into the USB port on the back of the printer (I would need an adaptor to go from the male A-type plug on the dongle to the B-type plug on the printer) and then both print and scan wirelessly with either MacBook? I have seen Bluetooth adaptors that (I think) let me do what I want with my printer, but what about this one that comes with the 5500?

2.) If so, is there any way to get the MX Revolution Bluetooth with the dongle without buying it as part of the set? I'm not sure if I would be able to sell the keyboard without the mouse and dongle.

Please keep in mind that buying a new printer is not something I can afford right now since I have tuition due in a few weeks, and nothing is really wrong with mine anyway. I could manage to afford the 5500 set if it solved both my mouse and printing needs. What is essential, though, is that Wifi not be part of the picture.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

gsahli
Dec 21, 2008, 10:05 PM
Network/wifi/bluetooth printing to non-postscript (ie inkjet) printers on OS X is ALL ABOUT the driver. The "standard" protocols on OS X (Bluetooth, Windows Printing, and IP printing) are provided by the CUPS system. To use the "standard" protocols, then, you need a CUPS driver (Apple calls them modern drivers), which is a driver that uses the unix modular, reusable software concept. Unfortunately, only Brother makes CUPS drivers for non-postscript printers. ALL the others are providing Carbon legacy-type drivers, where the comm protocol is limited by what's written into the driver itself. Don't expect to print using Bluetooth unless the printer manufacturer provides a driver for that.

HTH