PDA

View Full Version : istat and coolbook temps, which one is correct?

aleni
Dec 21, 2008, 10:14 PM
I have set iStat to monitor the cpu temp only. but the difference between it and the coolbook sensor is big.

iStat currently sitting on 50C, while Coolbook is only at 43C.

which one should i believe. i prefer coolbook, because when i run a big cpu-demanding task. iStat says it's 109C while when i touched the machine and i'm sure it's not that hot like it's going to cook the egg.

fteoath64
Dec 25, 2008, 10:58 AM
I have set iStat to monitor the cpu temp only. but the difference between it and the coolbook sensor is big.

iStat says it's 109C while when i touched the machine and i'm sure it's not that hot like it's going to cook the egg.

Wow 109 Deg C ?. Thats pretty hot!. Mine never breached 85 DegC because the fans kicked in early to 6200 and stabilize the temp to 70+ then drops to about 55C normal. The CPU temp is taken inside the die (on chip diode sensor), while HeadtSink A is on the heatsink itself, that is conducting the heat away. So it is 4-6 Deg difference. The outside metal above the brightness keys will get very warm to the touch but not burning the figure.

justit
Dec 25, 2008, 11:19 AM
Both istat and smcfancontrol show the same readings, with istat showing a breakout of other system temps. Is it possible coolbook takes an average of several sensors to give a reading?

SFStateStudent
Dec 25, 2008, 12:45 PM
+1 ^^^ I've never used Coolbook, but I've installed smcFanControl and iStats Pro and they seem to be all I need. Usually both are within 1-3 of each other...:cool:

aleni
Dec 25, 2008, 08:38 PM
so the istat is the correct one for the cpu? but i when i touched the cpu part on my air it's not like 100c while the istat is monitoring it as a 100c. it's not really that hot when touched.

pstoehr
Dec 27, 2008, 06:39 AM
Hi,
so the istat is the correct one for the cpu? but i when i touched the cpu part on my air it's not like 100c while the istat is monitoring it as a 100c. it's not really that hot when touched.
the temperature is measured inside the CPU.
Have you opened the CPU and your MBA is still working?

Just kidding:D
Peterf