Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Does anyone know if Sim City 4 will run well on Fusion 2? My computer has an 8800gt so its not integrated graphics. Just in case the 3d support in Fusion 2 needed a somewhat powerful card to use 3d effects

I ask as Sim City 4 for the PC is loads cheaper than it is for the Mac

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
I would run Sim City 4 through boot camp for optimal performance. If Fusion is a must then I'm not too sure how well it will run.

adit

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
Does anyone know if Sim City 4 will run well on Fusion 2? My computer has an 8800gt so its not integrated graphics. Just in case the 3d support in Fusion 2 needed a somewhat powerful card to use 3d effects

I ask as Sim City 4 for the PC is loads cheaper than it is for the Mac

I installed simcity 4 using fusion the other day. I have not had a chance to play the game properly yet. The 5 mins I used it for after installation, everything seemed to run fine for me.

I dont think it should be a problem.

I installed it on an MBP 2.4GHZ with 256mb VRAM. I have allocated fusion with only 512MB of my 2GB RAM.

Hope this helps.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
I would run Sim City 4 through boot camp for optimal performance. If Fusion is a must then I'm not too sure how well it will run.

well i dont have a bootcamp partition, only installed windows via fusion

I installed simcity 4 using fusion the other day. I have not had a chance to play the game properly yet. The 5 mins I used it for after installation, everything seemed to run fine for me.

I installed it on an MBP 2.4GHZ with 256mb VRAM. I have allocated fusion with only 512MB of my 2GB RAM.

Hope this helps.

that does. thanks for giving your take:)

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005

Hope this helps.

ok i installed it and everything is choopy. any ideas on how to make it run better?

i have 1.5 gigs and 2 processors dedicated to fusion. also have an 8800gt

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
ok i installed it and everything is choopy. any ideas on how to make it run better?

i have 1.5 gigs and 2 processors dedicated to fusion. also have an 8800gt

I know I just revived this from the dead, but I'm installing a bunch of old PC games on my new 27" iMac i7 and am having the same problem on very basic cities. I would think that this system should be able to easily handle SC4. The menus and everything are quick and fluid, but the game itself is laggy/choppy.

Any ideas?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
I would try only dedicating 1 processor to Fusion, as older games will behave better that way.

I've had problems with SC4 on Windows natively, on a real PC. It doesn't draw some textures right using the 3D renderer, and the software renderer is missing details and is laggy (even on a 3ghz machine).

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
There's also the problem that Fusion 2 doesn't have the advanced graphics capabilities as Fusion 3. Furthermore, it doesn't matter what graphics card you have, the software have to translate the DirectX information into OpenGL then render it on the OSX side.

Yeah, a better card helps, but you'll still be playing at a fraction of the performance as you would under native boot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.