Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AssassinOfGates

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
A cardboard box.
Ok, this is the 2nd time this has happened to me since I upgraded from 10.2.8 to 10.3.2. My dual 867 lost its network card. When I first saw I lost my connection, I instinctivly restarted my modem and router, only to see that the light for my port doesnt go up. All the other comps (WinXP) show their lights.

At that point I knew it happened again. I go into my network prefrences and see that i no longer even have the selection of built-in ethernet. No red, orange, or green orb, no selection. Nada. I open the ethernet prefs through the pulldown menu, and it shows no IP from my router, and no IP that it gives itself when my router goes to hell. It was just blank.

Restarting didnt help again, I had to do a Repair Disk from the OS X cds. Its funny, it didnt show any problems, but it fixed it both times. Yea I can fix it obviously, but is this an isolated case? What's causing this nusiance???

lostethernet1.jpg

lostethernet2.jpg

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
My first reaction is that your skinning utility is in some way not compatible with 10.3.2

Try disabling it for a while and see if the problem goes away.
You might want to redo prebindings and repair permissions as well.

AssassinOfGates

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
A cardboard box.
Hmm that doesn't make sense because when it happened the first time I never even used skins. I repaired permissions after the first event as well, so I don't think its tied to that. What do you mean by prebindings? How would I go about doing that?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
That is weird. Even if it's having problems, it should pull an IP, even a fallback one, so long as its enabled.

Here's one thing to try if you haven't already: Go to the "Network Port Configurations" of the Network panel; you should be able to enable, disable, and reorder the various interfaces from there. Try disabling the built-in Ethernet one, clicking "apply", then re-enabling it and clicking apply again.

That should reset the interface, but if it doesn't, something is drastically wrong. On a related note, you could also try deleting the Built-in Ethernet option from that same config section, then adding it back using the add button. If something is corrupted, that should create a clean replacement.

(I'm assuming that you've already repaired permissions and run a check using Disk Utility from the OSX CD. Another related thing might be to download Panther Cache Cleaner and let it run the maintenance scripts, and try various levels of cache purging. You might have some luck that way.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.