Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2008
Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
Does anyone else think Apple will update the Air to the new bezel look? Personally, I think it just wasn't ready for the notebook event, plus these things need a price cut like WOAH! Thoughts?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I disagree. I don't think we'll see the bezels change yet as that means they'll move to glass ... which I believe is too heavy. Also, I don't think that they weren't ready for the notebook even ... not the SSD models at least. I quite like the all silver bezel myself.

Don't expect an Air update in January.

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2008
There won't be a price cut and I can't see them updating the look.

Glass is unnecessarily heavy on an ultraportable.

You don't think they'll price cut these, when the Alu Macbooks get a cut at some point. I'm sorry, but until the MBA goes down to $1499 retail, it just will never sell up to what it should be. I've asked about 10 apple employees at 6 different stores how the MBA is selling and all of them said "we rarely ever sell one." That's from the people who sell them, now you might say people buy them online, but for store employees to not sell any is a sign.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You don't think they'll price cut these, when the Alu Macbooks get a cut at some point. I'm sorry, but until the MBA goes down to $1499 retail, it just will never sell up to what it should be. I've asked about 10 apple employees at 6 different stores how the MBA is selling and all of them said "we rarely ever sell one." That's from the people who sell them, now you might say people buy them online, but for store employees to not sell any is a sign.

Obviously not, otherwise they would have lowered the price. Enough people are buying them at the current price for Apple to justify not lowering it.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Apples to Oranges - but Apple even dropped the price of the original iphone by $200 shortly after releasing it. So - we know that if they want/have to - they will drop prices.

But whatever - I don't regret the $ I spent and if the high price means I am the only person I know that has one - fine with me....

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2008
Obviously not, otherwise they would have lowered the price. Enough people are buying them at the current price for Apple to justify not lowering it.

I just don't see them keeping it at this price. It was good for a year now, but if they want to really sell these things, which are basically glorified netbooks now, they need to drop the price even $100. I mean the old model is going for $1149 refurbished on the Apple Store Online, so you'd have to figure they can drop the price a little, right?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I just don't see them keeping it at this price. It was good for a year now, but if they want to really sell these things, which are basically glorified netbooks now, they need to drop the price even $100. I mean the old model is going for $1149 refurbished on the Apple Store Online, so you'd have to figure they can drop the price a little, right?

Of course they can... they could sell the current Mac Mini for $399 and STILL be making a profit on the hardware.

The point is that they won't.

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2008
Of course they can... they could sell the current Mac Mini for $399 and STILL be making a profit on the hardware.

The point is that they won't.

OK, we're getting into pointless banter, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. My guess is that within the next 4 months, we will see a price drop in the Air of at least $100 and at most $200.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.