PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Poop Blamed For Awning Collapse

themoonisdown09
Dec 22, 2008, 09:38 AM
YUMA, Ariz. - Sheriff's deputies in Yuma County, Ariz., are blaming pigeons for the partial collapse of a gas station awning.

The canopy at the Shell station in the foothills east of Yuma collapsed at midmorning Friday on top of a BMW and a Hummer, but no one was hurt.

Sheriff's Maj. Leon Wilmot says 4 to 5 inches of pigeon excrement had built up on top of the awning. He says it's likely that recent rains soaked the waste and the weight was too much for the structure.

Article link (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28329144/)

First, a guy blames an airline for getting him drunk which resulted in him beating his wife (link (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=618878))... now the police are blaming pigeons for destroying cars. What's next?

GSMiller
Dec 22, 2008, 04:17 PM
4 to 5 inches?! They must have some big pigeons out west.

dmw007
Dec 22, 2008, 07:42 PM
That is ALOT of pigeon poop! :eek:

PlaceofDis
Dec 22, 2008, 07:45 PM
and wouldn't the gas station owner be responsible for keeping the place clean and working? mindlessness again.

iJohnHenry
Dec 22, 2008, 07:58 PM
Am I the only one that smiled at reading a BMW and a Hummer?? :D

PlaceofDis
Dec 22, 2008, 08:03 PM

certainly not. its a somewhat funny scenario. but its pretty crappy overall. ;)

dmw007
Dec 22, 2008, 08:16 PM

Being a BMW owner myself, I feel bad for the owner of the BMW who had his/her car covered in pigeon crap and the gas station awning.

But I can not say that I feel bad for the owner of the Hummer... :p :D

themoonisdown09
Dec 23, 2008, 07:22 AM

Yeah... sounds like the gas station was a real ***** hole!

rdowns
Dec 23, 2008, 07:34 AM
4 to 5 inches. Think of all the people pumping gas that were saved from getting pooped on. Surely, sacrificing a Hummer and BMW were worth it.

dmw007
Dec 23, 2008, 10:03 AM
4 to 5 inches. Think of all the people pumping gas that were saved from getting pooped on. Surely, sacrificing a Hummer and BMW were worth it.

True, at least no people were hurt. :)

Still, that must have been an interesting phone call to the insurance company, "Hello. Yes. My BMW was in an accident involving a ton of pigeon crap." :D

dmr727
Dec 23, 2008, 10:18 AM

Way to pigeonhole BMW and Hummer drivers, people.

ZachsMacDaddy
Dec 23, 2008, 10:22 AM
This story sure is laying it on thick. Boo hoo, a Hummer got crushed.

sushi
Dec 23, 2008, 10:23 AM
4 to 5 inches?! They must have some big pigeons out west.
:)

That is ALOT of pigeon poop! :eek:
A bit surprising that it was stacked up that high.

Yeah... sounds like the gas station was a real ***** hole!
:)

Snort!

Way to pigeonhole BMW and Hummer drivers, people.
Well, from a pigeon's perspective, everything is a target. :D

me_94501
Dec 23, 2008, 04:18 PM
This story sure is laying it on thick. Boo hoo, a Hummer got crushed.

Indeed...4-5 inches thick...:p

JNB
Dec 23, 2008, 05:34 PM
Out here (and especially in Yuma), they're properly referred to as CanMinniOhicus Snowbirdus, or the common North American Snowbird. Seen throughout the southern third of Arizona from October through April, the very mature of the species (typically in excess of 62 years) commonly clog highways, shopping malls, and budget restaurants (peaking at 3pm).

In the less-entertaining parts of the state (Yuma, again), they amuse themselves by climbing from the roofs of their RV's onto adjoining structures and crapping. When caught, Alzheimer's is the usual excuse, but they are easily proven to be lying by the incessant giggling.

yg17
Dec 23, 2008, 06:52 PM

Not at all. 99% of the BMW drivers I know are pricks, and Hummer, well, it's a Hummer, good enough excuse for me :D

dmw007
Dec 23, 2008, 07:41 PM
Not at all. 99% of the BMW drivers I know are pricks

***crosses fingers & hopes to be in the other 1%*** :cool:

iJohnHenry
Dec 23, 2008, 07:43 PM
***crosses fingers & hopes to be in the other 1%*** :cool:

If you are here, than it's a given. :D

Big-TDI-Guy
Dec 23, 2008, 07:46 PM
Not at all. 99% of the BMW drivers I know are pricks, and Hummer, well, it's a Hummer, good enough excuse for me :D

Reminds me of that joke.

What's the difference between a Porcupine and a BMW? Porcupines pricks are on the outside. ;)

nyunc
Dec 23, 2008, 09:04 PM
A Japanese tourist was once killed on the Brooklyn Bridge due to Pigeon poop.
http://brooklynheightsblog.com/archives/1266

dmw007
Dec 24, 2008, 06:23 AM
If you are here, than it's a given. :D

Whew, what a relief! :D :)

joepunk
Dec 24, 2008, 11:04 AM
What a fowl smelling place that must have been.

dmw007
Dec 24, 2008, 10:15 PM
A Japanese tourist was once killed on the Brooklyn Bridge due to Pigeon poop.
http://brooklynheightsblog.com/archives/1266

Wow, I did not know that pigeon poop was so corrosive that it could do that! :eek:

Sun Baked
Dec 28, 2008, 11:09 PM
and wouldn't the gas station owner be responsible for keeping the place clean and working? mindlessness again.

Yep, but the owner rarely if ever show up anymore.

Some might not even know how to find the properties they own.

The managers you will notice for most places care more about meeting their labor vs. sales goals than making sure the place they run is clean.

They used to make sure the entire place was clean, floors scrubbed inside and out, and the trash picked up.

Now you have to hope that you can climb the trash and your feet won't stick to the sidewalks outside the store. Of course you might be lucky and visit on their annual steam cleaning.

---

And who even climbs on the roof over the pumps?