Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
The Dead Ringer
New York Post
December 21, 2008

Tombstone says "rest in peace" and has cellphone number. Isn't that a contradiction?

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I don't know if I read it wrong, but what happens when the battery dies?

When he passed away from pancreatic cancer, John Jacobs, also a defense attorney, was buried with his fully charged Motorola T720 phone. His $55 Verizon bill gets paid every month and his cell number is even etched into his gravestone under the words "Rest in Peace."

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I don't know if I read it wrong, but what happens when the battery dies?

they will still be able to get his voicemail.

but my question is dont voicemail boxes get filled? i know i called a friend of mine on verizon once and he had a full voicemail box so i couldnt leave a message (it was his business phone)

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I'm also wondering what happens with the mailbox gets full.

they will still be able to get his voicemail.

but my question is dont voicemail boxes get filled? i know i called a friend of mine on verizon once and he had a full voicemail box, (it was his business phone)

I guess they dig the coffin up, charge the phone, delete all the voice mails and start over again.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
As much as this makes for a funny story, I really don't think this is a healthy way of coping with their loss.

You either believe in the afterlife, in which case you expect you'll one day be somehow reunited with your loved ones, or you don't, in which case you say goodbye and move on.

Actually, I don't know if the amount of contact they had was healthy even when the guy was alive. "He called me every half an hour"? Yikes. :eek: I wouldn't tolerate that from anyone, no matter how much I loved them.

Antares

macrumors 68000
Many cultures, including the Ancient Egyptians buried their dead with worldly possessions so that they could take those items with them into the afterlife. Maybe this is an extension of that concept...

I wondering when someone will finally put an iPod adapter and an outlet into a coffin. Have a solar panel on the tombstone and run a wire down to the coffin to power it. Hmm...anyone want to partner with me and put together a show called "Pimp My Coffin" ...?

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
This one tops the buried cellphone

"Howdy neighbor!"

According to The Wallstreet Journal, a Brazilian with fear of being buried alive builds crypt with air, food, megaphones.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
According to The Wallstreet Journal, a Brazilian with fear of being buried alive builds crypt with air, food, megaphones.

The TV is a nice touch. Not only does he have a fear of being buried alive (taphephobia), he's got an (unnamed) fear of missing his favorite TV programs.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
It's been done before. :p

Coffin-bell.gif

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I wondering when someone will finally put an iPod adapter and an outlet into a coffin. Have a solar panel on the tombstone and run a wire down to the coffin to power it. Hmm...anyone want to partner with me and put together a show called "Pimp My Coffin" ...?

If I was dead and had to listen to my 4GB iPod. I think I'd get really REALLY bored with the limited song selection after listening for the first 1,000 years. after 100,000 years of the same 200 songs I'd go insane. The thing is that if you are dead you stay dead for a long, long, long time. Even if they buried you with an iPod Classic you'd get sick of the selection after a few short millennia.

rtmadden

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Maryland
I don't think this story conforms to the grieving process accepted by the APA, although I'm sure Verizon has no qualms with it.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I don't think this story conforms to the grieving process accepted by the APA, although I'm sure Verizon has no qualms with it.

No, I doubt that Verizon has an qualms with this at all. Heck, I would not be surprised if they started offering "Burial Phone Service" in the near future. :eek: ;)

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
pet3.jpg

"Submitted for your approval, a different take on the story of the dead grandmother who calls her grandson on the telephone from beyond the grave. Here, a woman who will never move on because she's clinging to a fantasy of still being in communication with her loved one, a party who in reality cannot be reached. Our painting is called 'Disconnected'. Ladies and gentlemen, this is the Night Gallery."

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
"Submitted for your approval, a different take on the story of the dead grandmother who calls her grandson on the telephone from beyond the grave. Here, a woman who will never move on because she's clinging to a fantasy of still being in communication with her loved one, a party who in reality cannot be reached. Our painting is called 'Disconnected'. Ladies and gentlemen, this is the Night Gallery."

Better yet, "a loved one, who's line is, somehow, always busy..."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.