Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sanf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2003
Hi all,

I'm having a weird problem with my iBook/600 running OS X.3.2 going to sleep anytime it senses a small vibration. Anytime I use it on my lap it goes to sleep every 5 minutes. I use my iBook primarily for audio work so you can imagine how aggravating this is.

I've tried every conceivable Energy Saver setting to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas? If it's a h/w issue I can't really afford to get it fixed.

I can manage without the sleep function so I was wondering how to disable it?

Thanks,

S

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
I dont know why its going to sleep on some vibration..thats wierd..but to disable sleep,.system preferences-energy saver ...there for 'optimize energy settings' choose custom, click on 'show details', there you get the options of when to put computer and/or monitor and/or hard disk to sleep.
Just select them to never.
cheers

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Every once in a while my iBook (600, 10.3.2) abruptly goes to sleep on me when I move or handle it just right. Haven't been able to correlate it with anything in particular, as it doesn't happen very often, but it definitely seems to be associated with physical movement of the computer. I suspect that I'm picking it up or holding it in some way that deflects it internally in some way, causing the sleep. Usually I'm able to wake it right up, and it hasn't been much of a problem. Would be if it was happening all the time, though!

Sanf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2003
Re:

I've set all the Energy Saver settings to Never.

I'm going to try the Sleepless 1.4 utility later tonight.

I'll let you guys know how I get on.

S

Sanf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2003
Sanf said:
I've set all the Energy Saver settings to Never.

I'm going to try the Sleepless 1.4 utility later tonight.

I'll let you guys know how I get on.

S

I installed Sleepless 1.4 and it didn't make a hell of a lot of difference. I've also reinstalled OS X 10.2.8 on a different partition and the same problem reoccured.

I think the sensor that detects when the lid is closed is getting activated by vibrations, so sending it to sleep.

I'll have to open up this puppy and have a closer look.

S

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
it might be a loose connector or something.

or as one apple store genius said, a low-level (something) corruption..forget what he said...
I have similar problems, but ever so occasionally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.