Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Draumo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
I just got one of the new aluminum Macbooks and everything works great... except when I plugged in some headphones. Whenever audio of any sort starts I get an almost silent static like noise in the background... be it sound from a Youtube video, Ventrillo, iTunes... anything.

After a couple minutes the static goes away. But if any sound occurs the static returns. Most of the time you can't notice it because the audio that is playing is louder. But when its silent you can hear the quiet static like noise. I have some Sony In-Ear Earbuds.

I tried plugging in the gross default iPod earbuds and I couldn't hear the static with those but that may of just been because I can't fit the damn things in my ears. I don't know if its my Macbook or the headphones just don't like the Macbook.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I have the same issue and it happens when the sound powers on I think. It's really annoying. It happened with my old white MacBook too.

swb1192

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
I just got one of the new aluminum Macbooks and everything works great... except when I plugged in some headphones. Whenever audio of any sort starts I get an almost silent static like noise in the background... be it sound from a Youtube video, Ventrillo, iTunes... anything.

After a couple minutes the static goes away. But if any sound occurs the static returns. Most of the time you can't notice it because the audio that is playing is louder. But when its silent you can hear the quiet static like noise. I have some Sony In-Ear Earbuds.

I tried plugging in the gross default iPod earbuds and I couldn't hear the static with those but that may of just been because I can't fit the damn things in my ears. I don't know if its my Macbook or the headphones just don't like the Macbook.

I hear the same exact thing on mine. Interestingly enough, if you unplug the charger cord from the laptop, the static goes away. Somehow the electrical current has fun with the audio, I guess..?

Draumo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
I called Apple and explained the problem... seeing as it was the first day that I got the laptop. He said the Headphone Jack itself may be faulty. Since I have no Apple stores near me he told me to take it to a place in my area called CityMac, which has a person who is certified to repair Apple hardware or something. The guy said its gonna be awhile due to the holidays but they have to get the part from Apple and install it. Hopefully they don't damage anything else in the process... or get fingerprints all over my screen.

First day having the laptop and its sitting in the shop. Bummer.

Draumo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
I just picked up the laptop. The tech said he replaced the logic board. When I got in the car I opened the Macbook and was disapointed to hear the same open air type static when audio was played. I guess I'm gonna go back to the store and try my headphones in some of the display Macbooks and see if they sound different. If they do I wonder if Apple will give me a replacement even after they serviced it already.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I have the exact same problem. It sounds like very soft white noise. Every so often it will go out and I can bring it back by adjusting the volume.

Swb1192, mine happens with or without the power supply connected.

macnvrbck

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2005
Replacing the logic board isn't going to help. Search the site, many threads on this and everyone seems to be just dealing with it or keeping music on all the time. Lookup 'speaker pop' or 'popping'... I've leared to live with it... I'm not sure there is a fix.. too bad Apple doesn't do something about this.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I have the exact same problem. It sounds like very soft white noise. Every so often it will go out and I can bring it back by adjusting the volume.

Swb1192, mine happens with or without the power supply connected.

Yes, mine does it with or without the power cord connected too. If you're listening to music, it's not annoying at all. If you are using headphones just to hear iChat message sounds or something, it's extremely annoying. Every time a message comes through that triggers the iChat sound, the MacBook static noise starts, then goes off, then comes back the next time, etc.

Hydra

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
Finland
I just bought Sennheiser CX300-II in ears and I get the horrible static from my nVidia MacBook :(

The static is present always when you have something active that uses audio, if you don't have any audio on the static disappears after a lil while.

For comparison my iPhone has 0 static in it and my CoreDuo white iMac has really really really quiet static, doesn't bother at all.

Apple headphones don't have static...

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
My white MacBook's always done this. I'll be listening to music and the song will end, but then if a system sound occurs (ilke an IM or a new mail message), the static comes. It only stays on for a few seconds with me, though. Oddly enough it usually comes on before the system sound, so I know something is coming! So, it's not aluminum-MacBook specifiic.

Also, it happens when the computer is plugged in and when it's running off the battery for me, so I guess it's not caused by the power cord, either.

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
It's an issue with macs and low impedance headphones/audio equiptment. I tested every macbook/pro/etc in the store. They all have it. The store people thought I was crazy and they can't hear it... but they don't have Shure SE530s either -_- They tried to give me a set of white buds and said they couldn't hear it on my macbook with them on... I said of course. I can't hear jack with those headbuds either. What you have to do is to connect via an in line volume control, that will basically attenuate the noise. I use the volume control attachment that came with my shure SE530s and I don't get static as long as I attenuate it somewhat.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
It's not just static - it's interference bleed through from the mediocre audio of all Apple notebooks. As I've said before, because it's an Apple doesn't automatically make it quality (quite the opposite I'd say). It's just dressed up better. With the unibodies, arguably it's the most noticeable of all.

It's not even just static like some MP3 players - There's a lot of components to that hiss if you listen. The unibodies - at least all but the 17-inchers which I haven't tried yet - are replete with fizzes, zzts, fzzzzzzzits and squirkles with earphones. It's a considerably more salubrious experience to listen to even the worst of the iPods.

As fibrizo suggests, purchasing an in-line volume adapter and using it to raise the impedance presented at the headphone socket is a good way to make the hiss less noticeable. A low-cost, compact bus-powered USB adapter may be a better idea as the onboard audio on Apples in general is pretty poor - e.g. the ESI Maya44. http://www.esi-audio.com/products/maya44usb/

I use a similar solution on the occasions I'm listening to my Apples and while there is still some hiss with my card, it's a heck of a lot better than the comparative dreck that comes directly out of the Apple. Many media-orientated and even ultraportables from other manufacturers have much more solid audio, and ironically I don't feel anywhere near the frequent need to outboard my Sony / Dells.

darragh2004

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2014
Planatronic RIG

I'm Using a planitronic RIG gaming headset i got around a week ago. The problem only started this morning when i was playing counter strike and went away for a while when i restarted the computer. I have the same problem where if a sound is playing then it goes. I just have to turn down the RIG hub to a certain level. There was no problem when i was using a recent seanheiser headset. Please could somebody help!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.