Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
NY
I'm checking out new monitors to buy, because I want a bigger screen. I was considering just buying a new Macbook Pro but times are hard and it looks like I will be holding on to this Macbook and just buying a larger external monitor for now. I was considering a 24" 1920 x 1200 monitor. Can this Mac do that without problems? It has a GMA950.

Also, if I have an external monitor, is it possible to use both screens at once? Like a dual monitor setup thing. That would be freaking sweet :D Thanks guys.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
Yes, it will handle 1920 x 1200. In fact, that's the max. And yes, you can use both screens at once either extended or mirrored. -GDF

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
Yes, it will handle 1920 x 1200. In fact, that's the max. And yes, you can use both screens at once either extended or mirrored. -GDF

Perfect! I was just coming on here to ask essentially the same question. I assume that getting a mini-DVI-->DVI adapter and then a male/male DVI cable would be the best connection (as opposed to VGA)? I see mini-DVI-->HDMI cables out there, but I don't think it'd be worth the expense.

EDIT: It looks like 1920 x 1200 is only possible with DVI (not VGA), so that answers that question. Would the HDMI cable be worth it? It seems that DVI would be just as good.

This is the one I am looking at, for daily computing tasks and movies (I don't do much gaming.) Looks like a nice enough display that it'll still serve me well once I can eventually upgrade to a new Macbook.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
Perfect! I was just coming on here to ask essentially the same question. I assume that getting a mini-DVI-->DVI adapter and then a male/male DVI cable would be the best connection (as opposed to VGA)? I see mini-DVI-->HDMI cables out there, but I don't think it'd be worth the expense.

You could do a mini-DVI to DVI adapter than a DVI to HDMI cable for about $40-$50 bucks and up. Course you get what you pay for. The adapter is usually $15 to $19 than I've even seen the DVI-HDMI for $6 but I also have a friend in A/V that gives this smirk when you bring up those kind of cables. Also depends on the length you need.

@Gamer Thanks man!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.