Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

16bitbrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
I just recently replaced my dead HD on my 12 inch G4 1.33. After reassembly and formating i came upon a new problem. I cannot eject my restore disk. The CD seems to eject (icon disappearing) but is impeded from fully coming out. the CD then reboots. I have tried all the usual techniques, including booting Firmware. Anyone have any suggestions, perhaps i could have somehow tweaked the disk drive during reassembly? appreciate any help.

donbenjy

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
If you replaced the HD, then obviously you're ok with opening it up, and I assume you tried holding the mouse button on startup anyway, then I reckon the best bet is to open it and try to fix the problem mechanically, as that's what it sounds like...

Maybe you nudged the drive or something is impeding the ejection of the disc - I'd try either A: removing the drive physically from the machine, and booting with it out of the enclosure - then you can tell if it's the actual drive, or something in the case construction.
B: disconnect the drive and boot up (not sure what'll happen, but hopefully it should just boot!)

areusche

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
Try this,

Take a plastic card like a credit card or driver's license and power down your computer. Stick the card in the drive slot and power up the machine. You might have to fiddle around for a bit but try to put a little pressure down on the card so it'll push the disc inside the drive upward. You'll definitely hear the CD start to spin up but the drive will fail to read the disc and spit it back out.

I've had this happen to me once and I read this tip from Apple's support forum.

16bitbrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Thanks for the input guys.

I have tried fiddling with a credit card, but not in the manner you suggested, i'll have to give it a try. Ultimately i may just have to re-open the system and manually remove the CD. At least this will afford me the opportunity to figure where the one remaining screw belongs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.