Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

11miles

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Slovenia (for now)
Hi,

got through the rough install problem on the G4. now running Leopard on it.
boots pretty quick.

Dual 1Ghz
1MB l3 Cache per proccesoor
1GB DDR SDRAM

it crashes. when finished booting, but completely idle, the screen is covered by a shade, computer telling me to restart.

Now if i woudl be doing some heavy duty on it, i would understand the reason for crash...

Anyone knows the cause of it?

we had this issues at work with Tiger installed. THoguth it was a bad disk, reinstalled, leopard couldnt be installed. HTen back to original install 10.2, then problems with leopard install.

Finally got the 10.5 working, the problem is still here?

What could cause it?

RAM?

Something internally?

TIA, matt

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
From your description, that's a kernel panic. About 9/10 times its due to a hardware issue, and the remaining 1/10 its due to software. If you've done clean erase & installs every time on those OS' its time to look at what you have connected to the system other than the keyboard and mouse, or if you added any expansion cards. You should also definitely run the Apple Hardware Test. Its on a special partition of the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 that came with the computer originally, and can only be accessed with the option key held down on startup with the disc inserted. The 'D' key shortcut that you sometimes see in reference to the hardware test is for Intel processor Macs. Run it and see what what it reports.

Tyroler

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
Hatfield, UK
From your description, that's a kernel panic. About 9/10 times its due to a hardware issue, and the remaining 1/10 its due to software. If you've done clean erase & installs every time on those OS' its time to look at what you have connected to the system other than the keyboard and mouse, or if you added any expansion cards. You should also definitely run the Apple Hardware Test. Its on a special partition of the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 that came with the computer originally, and can only be accessed with the option key held down on startup with the disc inserted. The 'D' key shortcut that you sometimes see in reference to the hardware test is for Intel processor Macs. Run it and see what what it reports.

thanx
Didnt know about the option Key for that.
Took it with C-Key but froze after few minutes

Tanner1294

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
G4 Mac's are notorious for having mixed results when running OS X Leopard. A lot of issues tend to be along the lines of the computer freezing at a blue or gray screen after booting. Most of these tend to be fixed by just doing another Erase & Install of the OS. Also when installing, when you get to the "you are ready to install!" screen, look on the bottom left and you'll see a Customize option. Click that and choose not to install things you don't need. There are MANY printer drivers that most people don't use. For instance, I only have the HP drivers installed because I don't use my PowerMac G4 anywhere where there aren't HP printers (namely my home one). Also you should choose not to install any extra localizations (languages) mainly for space saving.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.