Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odelay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Just downloaded it. Native excel editing. Looks really good. Also has wifi transfers to/from your desktop as well as the MobileMe iDisk access as in the free version.

http://www.quickoffice.com/mobilefiles

[strikethrough]And here's the AppStore link:

http://linktoapp.com/MobileFiles+Pro[/striketgrough]

Hmmm. Link doesn't seem to work, but you can get the link from the quickoffice site above. I can't paste the exact link as am on iPhone at the minute.

ThanatosId

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
I can't wait to see how this works for others. Ill probably have to drop the $9.99 on this. I've found the free version to be twice as fast as Air Sharing.

odelay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

The excel editing works really well. They've done a great job at making it work on the small screen. I just hope we see a .doc edit update soon.

nachtxeule

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
if only i could do this with google docs rather than mobileme...

why doesn't google allow doc editing? guh!

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

The excel editing works really well. They've done a great job at making it work on the small screen. I just hope we see a .doc edit update soon.

Yeah. For me, it's a no-go until they add .doc editing. I find it very strange that they developed .xls editing before .doc (or any text file) editing.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I find it very strange that they developed .xls editing before .doc (or any text file) editing.
Why? Maybe it was easier. Maybe they had 2 teams, one working on .doc and one on .xls and the .xls finished first. There are a lot of potential explanations.

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
What I'm most curious about is the implication in the description for MobileFiles Pro that it will actually play an iPhone-compatible video file downloaded from your iDisk... the non-Pro version can't do this (though it will play audio files), and it's a functionality I was surprised it didn't have from the get-go. Keeping it out of the free version and requiring you to buy the Pro version to get that would at least make some sense...

orrelse44

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Can someone explain the mobileme thing? If you buy MobileFiles Pro it says a mobileme account is required. Is this free? Or do you have to pay for the monthly service?

odelay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Can someone explain the mobileme thing? If you buy MobileFiles Pro it says a mobileme account is required. Is this free? Or do you have to pay for the monthly service?

MobileMe is an Apple paid service. You can get a free trial if you want to try it out: http://www.apple.com/mobileme

However, it is not essential for this app, as now it has wifi file sharing. You can upload/download files to/from your computer on you local wifi network - so no need for MobileMe.

MobileMe would give you the ability to exchange files with your iDisk when you're away from your computer over the carrier's 3g network.

odelay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
One of the Devs from QuickOffice emailed me earlier stating that "there will be a lot of activity on this application, with Word getting a lot of attention as well". So fingers crossed we'll see .doc editing in an update soon.

If you want to leave them feedback and/or request new features, they've created a new forum on the QuickOffice website:

http://forums.quickoffice.com

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
One of the Devs from QuickOffice emailed me earlier stating that "there will be a lot of activity on this application, with Word getting a lot of attention as well". So fingers crossed we'll see .doc editing in an update soon.
Did they even hint at a motive for developing .xls editing first instead of .doc?

extralarge

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
the price.....$9.99
too high for one single function tool..:eek:
$5.99,we definitly spend the money on it!

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
the price.....$9.99
too high for one single function tool..:eek:

This is the type of idiotic ranting that scares good developers away. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. Or buy some cheaper app instead, maybe one of the hot selling whoopie cushions.

But given that QuickOffice appears to be better than the competing apps in a few areas, customers who prefer quality will choose this over the cheaper alternatives, even at the higher price.

They could even afford to raise their price, as the earlier PalmPilot QuickSheet was higher priced with less features, and still sold quite well.

odelay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Even stranger. Must be a conspiracy. :rolleyes:

Maybe Dataviz are releasing their "Documents To Go" office editing app imminently, so QuickOffice wanted to get their app out first, so as not to lose out on potential customers. Just a theory, not based on any "real" info...

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Any tried it yet?

Has anyone tried this out yet?

Can you create complicated spreadsheets, cut & paste cells, graphs, etc.?

How does it compare to the 5 other spreadsheets in the App store?

odelay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Has anyone tried this out yet?

Can you create complicated spreadsheets, cut & paste cells, graphs, etc.?

How does it compare to the 5 other spreadsheets in the App store?

I've got this app and can recommend it for basic spreadsheet editing. It doesn't do graphs/charts or copy/paste of cells, but I hope the latter comes in a later update. I haven't tried the other spreadsheet apps so I cannot offer a comparison, but I am really pleased with the usability and functionality of this app. If they can add copy/paste, word doc editing and fast-scrolling in large PDFs then it would give me all I need in an office viewing/editing app. I don't know about copy/paste, but the devs have confirmed that the other two are features they are working on.

I'd also like to see email attachment sending support (like Readdle OneDisk has) in a future update.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I'd also like to see email attachment sending support (like Readdle OneDisk has) in a future update.

Yeah - this is an obvious feature. Otherwise why would I limit myself to editing a document on the iPhone when I can do it on my computer, which is needed to actually get the file back from the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.