Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
sounds like a rev A to me. Unless he is watching videos?

Or a Late 08 model (rev B if you prefer) watching a lot of flash video's. I can get mine up that high streaming HD video. The Early 08 was much worse, I've hit 90º Celsius watching video's. Which is 194º Fahrenheit for the Celsius impaired. :)

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Rev A, 167 degrees F is actually about 77 degrees C, so maybe that's not out of the ordinary for some of you, but my MBA is totally unbearable on my lap and totally not normal for me. Screensaver wouldn't work and kept shutting down Safari with a kernel panic. Ended up doing permission repair; then resetting by pressisng option + command + r + p, then going into library and removing desktop.plist, screensaver.plist since these were the two files that weren't allowing the temperature or fan to stop going haywire, b/c they were searching and searching to find these files, but the files may have been corrupted or bad, so my MBA kept searching even harder and faster b/c that's what it's suppose to do. I removed those files from the library to the desktop, then restarted my MBA and noticed the temperature was now down to 123 degrees F and the fan was running at 2502rpm in about five minutes. I then dumped those two files and the caches file into the trash and emptied the trash and went about business as usual. No explanation as to the cause, but this is the 2nd notable kernel panic related problem, but RESOLVED for now...:eek:

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
Rev A, 167 degrees F is actually about 77 degrees C, so maybe that's not out of the ordinary for some of you, but my MBA is totally unbearable on my lap and totally not normal for me. Screensaver wouldn't work and kept shutting down Safari with a kernel panic. Ended up doing permission repair; then resetting by pressisng option + command + r + p, then going into library and removing desktop.plist, screensaver.plist since these were the two files that weren't allowing the temperature or fan to stop going haywire, b/c they were searching and searching to find these files, but the files may have been corrupted or bad, so my MBA kept searching even harder and faster b/c that's what it's suppose to do. I removed those files from the library to the desktop, then restarted my MBA and noticed the temperature was now down to 123 degrees F and the fan was running at 2502rpm in about five minutes. I then dumped those two files and the caches file into the trash and emptied the trash and went about business as usual. No explanation as to the cause, but this is the 2nd notable kernel panic related problem, but RESOLVED for now...:eek:

Mine did that all the time, I hate to say:(

rogair

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
Rev A, 167 degrees F is actually about 77 degrees C, so maybe that's not out of the ordinary for some of you, but my MBA is totally unbearable on my lap and totally not normal for me.

Don't use your notebook on your lap. Sorry that's all I got from the wall of text.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
75C is normal under load. Even my MacBook runs at 85C (185F) under heavy load.

Thanks everyone for the advice; I'm definitely in the market for either the Rev B or the MBP 2.6 immediately after or during MWSF '09. I'm donating this Rev A MBA to the War Department, since I can't seem to get it out of her hands every time I turn around. Theses kernel panics a pain in my anal cavity...:mad:

sychee

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2008
Don't worry. Mine can go up to around 77 deg celsius when playing a video. During normal usage, its about 45-50 deg-celsius.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
I'm not running Coolbook either. Prior to the recent kernel panics, my Rev A MBA never had the temp go over 143ºF and the fan never exceeded 2700rpms, and that was while I was running three browsers, powerpoint, pages, ms word, and youtube. Now, I'm afraid to run more than one browser and powerpoint at the same time...:eek:

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
So are you still on the phone or was there a resolution?

Sorry Jessica, I must have forgot to post an UPDATE. Yes, it was a two hour and fifteen minute call that resolved the issue, but I wasn't totally assured that it wouldn't happen again. In the beginning, the AppleCare Tech seemed to feel that it was the logic board or a bad fan, though the hardware tests and the permissions repair noted otherwise. I went through two phones, with one beeping "low battery" and the Tech had to call me back at home. The Tech did note that this was the second kernel panic call, and that the third such incident will require that I leave my MBA at the Apple Store for a new logic board if necessary. The Tech also mentioned that I might get another MBA altogether...

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
leave my MBA at the Apple Store for a new logic board if necessary.

Please keep us posted, as there's a good chance you'll get a new machine. Since they stopped making rev A boards and video out with new display port is integrated they'd almost have to give you a new machine to mach the port's casing.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Man, I'm so sorry to hear about this on your Rev. A MacBook Air.
At least you know what's going to possibly happen... maybe you will turn out to be a lucky one to get your machine replaced by a Rev. B!

But I had to ask- do you own a laptop fan at all? I bought one two years ago for my Gateway M275 that liked to heat up a lot. It keeps the laptop a little cooler, and saves your lap from burning. It's just a flat square with 2 or 3 fans on it that sits right underneath your laptop. You can plug it in via USB or AC adapter.
So if I'm in bed on my MBA, I have my laptop fan underneath to keep my lap from burning and to keep the MBA vents free from blockage.

But man, 167... that's hot! With three Safari tabs open only, I'm running about 110.

Good luck, and keep updating us! ;)

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
WOAH!

Never mind here!

Did you just recently update to the 10.5.6 update SFState on your Rev. A?

I just did on my Rev. B, and just with one tab in Safari open (not really anything Flash in it) my MBA is running at 175 degrees, fans running at 4602 rpms...

Uh oh... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.