PDA

View Full Version : Why does drinking water feel so great all of a sudden?

ZiggyPastorius
Dec 24, 2008, 12:34 AM
So I admit, I haven't drank any water (or atleast not much) lately, and my eating habits have been pretty piss-poor. Anyways, I got some Dasani in my fridge (my mom did, rather - I don't buy bottled water because it's a rip-off). Anyways, it's like 1 in the morning, and I just drank two full bottles (33.8 Fl. Oz.) in less than 10 minutes, and everytime I take a drink, my head feels all nice, like I'm on drugs or something. Really weird. Am I just really dehydrated? :eek:

.Andy
Dec 24, 2008, 12:36 AM
You might have diabetes.

edit: Merry Christmas :D;)!

mr.stinki
Dec 24, 2008, 12:36 AM
Water is a necessity of life, so not drinking any for a while could probably cause that pleasurable feeling.

robanga
Dec 24, 2008, 12:37 AM
Hydration is good but yeah an excessive need to hydrate could be a sign of issues, get a checkup just to make sure. Probably nothing.

ZiggyPastorius
Dec 24, 2008, 12:37 AM
You might have diabetes.

Is that really what that means? :confused:

Surely
Dec 24, 2008, 12:39 AM
You might have diabetes.

Best edit ever.

mr.stinki
Dec 24, 2008, 12:40 AM

I HIGHLY doubt it. I have 2 aunts and 3 cousins with diabetes, and none of them have EVER said anything about feeling great after drinking water all of a sudden.

I'm no doctor, But it could just be that you were dehydrated. It could never hurt to get a check-up though.

ZiggyPastorius
Dec 24, 2008, 12:41 AM
I HIGHLY doubt it. I have 2 aunts and 3 cousins with diabetes, and none of them have EVER said anything about feeling great after drinking water all of a sudden.

I'm no doctor, But it could just be that you were dehydrated. It could never hurt to get a check-up though.

All right, good. It probably is just that. That and maybe the fact that it's 2 in the morning, I don't sleep much, and I'm on some sort of basic level of living. No clue. I hope it isn't anything serious, though. I drink water, just not enough.

Rodimus Prime
Dec 24, 2008, 12:42 AM
So I admit, I haven't drank any water (or atleast not much) lately, and my eating habits have been pretty piss-poor. Anyways, I got some Dasani in my fridge (my mom did, rather - I don't buy bottled water because it's a rip-off). Anyways, it's like 1 in the morning, and I just drank two full bottles (33.8 Fl. Oz.) in less than 10 minutes, and everytime I take a drink, my head feels all nice, like I'm on drugs or something. Really weird. Am I just really dehydrated? :eek:

you where dehydrated.

A lot of people today spend most of there lives in stage 1 or stage 2 dehydration

.Andy
Dec 24, 2008, 12:42 AM
Increased thirst is a sign of diabetes yes. Along with increased need to urinate. But I wouldn't worry at all!

It's far more likely you're just dehydrated or it's psychological. I also really enjoy water during the night or early in the morning. Sometimes I drink so much it makes me feel queasy :).

DJMastaWes
Dec 24, 2008, 12:44 AM
I love water!
a couple weeks ago, I finished a little 'challenge' that I did for fun. For a month, I drank nothing but water. I wanted to see a) if I could do it and b) if I would feel anything different.

There were a couple interesting things with doing this. I found that, when on this challenge, my eating habits went down the drain, and I ate terribly. I had tons more fast food, tons more junk food, ect. Since being off the challenge, I find myself picking water over any other drink more often.

Anyway, as for your little situation, maybe your body just missed water?
I don't think it's from dehydration.

ZiggyPastorius
Dec 24, 2008, 12:47 AM
Increased thirst is a sign of diabetes yes. Along with increased need to urinate. But I wouldn't worry at all!

It's far more likely you're just dehydrated or it's psychological. I also really enjoy water during the night or early in the morning. Sometimes I drink so much it makes me feel queasy :).

lol, well, good, then. I haven't had increased thirst, I just happened to be thirsty right now, and I was able to drink two waters and it was good. Hopefully it doesn't escalate into anything bad. Thanks, guys.

Sizzlor
Dec 24, 2008, 05:26 AM
Water gives you life.

MST
Dec 24, 2008, 06:07 AM
you where dehydrated.

A lot of people today spend most of there lives in stage 1 or stage 2 dehydration

I second that opinion ;)

Dagless
Dec 24, 2008, 08:02 AM
You might not want to be drinking Dasani (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasani).
But that hit me too in college. I never gave water a chance but a couple of my tutors drank 2 litres of Volvic a day. So I started too all them 6 years back and *looks at paltry 50cl bottle to left* I haven't kicked the habit yet.

bartelby
Dec 24, 2008, 08:04 AM
Don't go drinking more than you need or you'll end up doing a lot of damage.

Abstract
Dec 24, 2008, 08:23 AM

Maybe he's a drunk.

Merry Christmas (?).

ipodtouchy333
Dec 24, 2008, 08:25 AM
Maybe he's a drunk.

Merry Christmas (?).

Ha, doesn't alchohol dehydrate you though? I should know...lol

Abstract
Dec 24, 2008, 08:56 AM
Well it certainly makes you pee more, which makes you more thirsty. That was my point. ;)

mkrishnan
Dec 24, 2008, 08:58 AM

The kind of diabetes that causes excessive thirst is different, for what it's worth. Diabetes insipidus (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/MEDLINEPLUS/ency/article/000377.htm) doesn't look like diabetes mellitus. Not that I think he has diabetes insipidus.

sushi
Dec 24, 2008, 09:02 AM
Don't go drinking more than you need or you'll end up doing a lot of damage.
Curious. Why?

Melrose
Dec 24, 2008, 09:03 AM
I drink water 95% of the time - coffee (or tea) in the morning, water from then on. Kidney trouble runs in the family and so far I've been fortunate to avoid it..

Schtumple
Dec 24, 2008, 09:03 AM
Curious. Why?

Too much of anything can kill you, even water, IIRC you do damage to your kidneys, because they can't process it all quick enough and it poisons you, who knew water could poison you :eek:

bartelby
Dec 24, 2008, 09:05 AM
Curious. Why?

You'll (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6263029.stm)die (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7779079.stm) or get brain damage (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7520756.stm).

sushi
Dec 24, 2008, 09:29 AM
You'll (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6263029.stm)die (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7779079.stm) or get brain damage (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7520756.stm).
Sorry, I wasn't thinking of these types of extremes. Of course too much of anything can be bad for you. The first one is simply amazing that someone would want a Wii so bad that they would do this to themselves.

Of course drinking enough water is important for normal bodily functions. Dehydration can easily occur during the cold winter months especially when engaging in physical activity. I was thinking of along these lines when drinking more water to ensure one is hydrated.

Thanks for the stories. I see where you are coming from now. :)

wakka092
Dec 24, 2008, 09:59 AM
The op, consuming 1 liter of water within minutes, increased the pressure on his brain, yielding some form of mild delirium. I can't recommend doing that again, at all. :)

ZiggyPastorius
Dec 24, 2008, 10:06 AM
The op, consuming 1 liter of water within minutes, increased the pressure on his brain, yielding some form of mild delirium. I can't recommend doing that again, at all. :)

I probably won't. It didn't last. It was only while actually drinking the water.

dmr727
Dec 24, 2008, 11:08 AM
It's the Water of Life! Haven't you guys ever played Zelda?

ZiggyPastorius
Dec 24, 2008, 11:20 AM

Of course! :D Who hasn't? Love those games.

Robin1
Jan 5, 2009, 10:29 PM
Too much of anything can kill you, even water, IIRC you do damage to your kidneys, because they can't process it all quick enough and it poisons you, who knew water could poison you :eek:

Never...water can never be poisonous unless it is contaminated...

r.j.s
Jan 5, 2009, 10:33 PM
Never...water can never be poisonous unless it is contaminated...

Wrong. Too much water can actually cause death through flushing the electrolytes out of your system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Abstract
Jan 5, 2009, 10:47 PM
Hmmmm......gives you a high, and yet it's cheaper than drugs.....

rick3000
Jan 5, 2009, 10:54 PM
+1 for water!

And no I don't think you can get high off water, but it is definitely refreshing to drink some cold water when you're dehydrated.

toolbox
Apr 2, 2009, 06:49 AM
I find drinking water very refreshing. I ended up in hospital because i didn't drink enough i won't be doing that again

Kirjava444
Apr 2, 2009, 04:09 PM
I find drinking water very refreshing. I ended up in hospital because i didn't drink enough i won't be doing that again

Yeah, so did I. I kept being sick and they attached me to the IV. Wouldn't recommend it!

r.j.s
Apr 2, 2009, 04:11 PM
Yeah, so did I. I kept being sick and they attached me to the IV. Wouldn't recommend it!

I love IVs ... they are cool and refreshing, and the best part is having to urinate no more than 5 minutes later.

gnasher729
Apr 2, 2009, 04:22 PM
Curious. Why?

About seven liters or so in one go might kill you. On the other hand, if you suffer from headaches or migrane, it could be that you are not drinking enough.

Randman
Apr 2, 2009, 04:25 PM
You would have likely felt the same way drinking Gatorade, and maybe even tea or juice.

toolbox
Apr 2, 2009, 05:44 PM
I love IVs ... they are cool and refreshing, and the best part is having to urinate no more than 5 minutes later.

LoL yeah i know that feeling every few minutes i was back and forth weeing all the time.

BittenApple
Apr 20, 2009, 12:02 AM
"Tap water is the most common source of drinking water in many parts of the world. What many people do not know is that it is dangerous to our health. Tap water contains chemicals, bacteria and drugs that make it unhealthy for human consumption. "

How many of you will agree with this?

as opposed to drinking untreated water? im ok. plus im on ebmub (east bay mud) here in the bay area; we have one of the best drinking waters in the world. in addition to that, just get a bria filter or something if your water is bad around your area.

Surely
Apr 20, 2009, 12:22 AM
as opposed to drinking untreated water? im ok. plus im on ebmub (east bay mud) here in the bay area; we have one of the best drinking waters in the world. in addition to that, just get a bria filter or something if your water is bad around your area.

Don't bother. It was a spam post. See the link in his signature?

BlackSnow
Apr 21, 2009, 05:14 PM

They did that to me too, always good when they miss the vein five times with somebody with a phobia of needles.

toolbox
Apr 21, 2009, 05:52 PM
They did that to me too, always good when they miss the vein five times with somebody with a phobia of needles.

My doctor just gave me a needle that numbed the lower part of the arm where they put mine in. He missed a couple of times but i didn't feel a thing and + i wasn't watching either