PDA

View Full Version : You favourite switch ad

britboy
Jun 10, 2002, 09:19 AM
Someone's bound to do it, so.... which of the 8 Switch apple adverts do you think is the best?

Mine's Mark Frauenfelder. For one, his hair is nuts. For another, his surname cracks me up :D

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2002, 10:03 AM
Liza is my favorite. Cute DJ girl with some mad style, and she's got some wacky wacky hand motions.

We'd be perfect together-- giving each other black eyes when we got excited about something and our hand language gets out of control. Heh

m

Mr. Anderson
Jun 10, 2002, 10:05 AM
Haxon was the most sincere, I think. And for a programmer to switch is a pretty good trick.

Mark Frauenfelder and the DJ had some weird hand/body motions, didn't work for me.

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2002, 10:07 AM
I think the reason the DJ worked for me (other than her being cute) was the hand motions... but that may have something to do with my southern italian background.... we like to use our hands incessantly.

Heh.

m

Hemingray
Jun 10, 2002, 10:38 AM
Okay, I'd have to go with Aaron Adams and Dave Haxton. Their professions are the most impressive for the switchover.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 10, 2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Moxiemike
I think the reason the DJ worked for me (other than her being cute) was the hand motions... but that may have something to do with my southern italian background.... we like to use our hands incessantly.

no, no italian - I'm a mutt - scottish, austrialian, irish, south african, dutch, french and probably a whole bunch more I don't know about - but the above is part of the family tree from the 1800s

eyelikeart
Jun 10, 2002, 12:18 PM
I liked Damon Wright best...

although...the dj chick was pretty cute...he he he ;)

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2002, 01:13 PM
I have been reading these posts for months and am fascinated by certain tastes and similarities eye... I'd love to chat with you sometime.

I kept thinking it's the Nawlins' version of Moxie Mike. Or vice versa....

m

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2002, 01:18 PM
sorry about the double post... but i have to comment on Duke's background. That's some major globe trotting in your ethic background. A friend of mine did a study on people with so many ethinicities (sp?) and how it affects creativity. Some surprising results showing that diverse ethnicities usually leaves the person with a much more open mind.... statistical testing and what not showing that they are often more patient, tolerant, etc.

but anyway, let's get Liza to do the Keynote...Steve is cool and all but I'd go and just watch her. Heehee

m

Mr. Anderson
Jun 10, 2002, 01:29 PM
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they don't use these people at MWNY, or at least rerun the ads on a huge screen there or during the keynote.

Weren't they shot in NY anyway?

eyelikeart
Jun 10, 2002, 01:35 PM
I have been reading these posts for months and am fascinated by certain tastes and similarities eye... I'd love to chat with you sometime.

sure...my contact info is in my profile...or PM me.. ;)

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2002, 01:47 PM
i think I did read that they were filmed in NYC. Wouldn't surprise me if this snowballs into a very refined and elegant version of the "Jared" stuff Subway is doing-- it'd be nice to see apple do regional ads that focus on local people and ties in with the main 8 or whatever they had.

Pretty cool.

Thanks for the responses Duke and Eye. I'll definitely chat you up soon eye... it's always interesting-- I read the whole "pizza shop" girl thing and it SO mirrored me and this fellow tiBook user at a local coffeehouse....

I thought it would make a good apple ad.... maybe a topic- "meeting girls/boys with your mac." heehee.

You guys are all good and smart. :)

m

phufball71
Jun 10, 2002, 01:55 PM
the dj girl is not cute!!!!!!!!!what is wrong with you guys.You guys need 2 get out more often.Or maybe i do not know the taste of 30-40 year olds.ok, sorry, my favs were Aaron Adams and Dave Haxton.

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2002, 02:01 PM
Phuf... I suppose we can chalk it up to "different strokes for different folks"

But I personally think she's way cute... totally approachable, sexy and slinky but still kinda clumsy, human, etc.

But hey, if you like the middle aged computer guys, that's cool too! I think all the ads are great and they all appeal to such a wide demographic.... they'd rock even more if we had some colors in there too-- African Americans, Chinese Americans, etc all love macs too!

m

phufball71
Jun 10, 2002, 02:08 PM
Phuf... I suppose we can chalk it up to "different strokes for different folks"

But hey, if you like the middle aged computer guys, that's cool too!

i never said he i like-liked him if that is was what you were implying with a bit of sarcasm.

Wildcat
Jun 10, 2002, 02:10 PM
I like Patrick. BSOD says it all.

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2002, 02:12 PM
Just a lil' sarcasm. :)

i do see your point... but (and I don't know your age or tastes) for a 25 year old like me who is so immursed in the techology/technocentric lifestyle, she's pretty much the idea of sexy. She's not the bottle blonde of yore, but rather a real girl who can be sexy but also really down to earth.

She'd date an advertising agency computer ownin', iPod lovin' geek like me... so, Apple did a killer job...they all have appeal to so many different groups for different regions. I am sure you'll see them placed very strategically-- she might be on MTV while The older guys might be on 60 minutes.

It's a well done, well thought out campaign

m

eyelikeart
Jun 10, 2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by phufball71
the dj girl is not cute!!!!!!!!!what is wrong with you guys.You guys need 2 get out more often.Or maybe i do not know the taste of 30-40 year olds.

wow...someone needs some fiber in his diet...he he he ;)

but just so u know...I'm just shy of 25...and she was cute... :rolleyes:

eyelikeart
Jun 10, 2002, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the responses Duke and Eye. I'll definitely chat you up soon eye... it's always interesting-- I read the whole "pizza shop" girl thing and it SO mirrored me and this fellow tiBook user at a local coffeehouse....

what's really creepy is a few weeks ago we were discussing the movie "Office Space"...and then it suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks how much my own life mirrors the main character, Peter...he he he ;)

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2002, 02:21 PM
My friends wanna make a movie about us and that's my character.

That character, played by John Cusak. That's how they think of me. :)

heh.

m

eyelikeart
Jun 10, 2002, 02:24 PM
She's not the bottle blonde of yore, but rather a real girl who can be sexy but also really down to earth.

She'd date an advertising agency computer ownin', iPod lovin' geek like me... so, Apple did a killer job...they all have appeal to so many different groups for different regions.

oh hell yeah...I agree totally...as much as I have this soft spot for hot blondes in my heart....I'm pretty over it all for the most part...

a cutie w/brains who is into technology a bit...that's what I'm talking about...he he he...:D

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

oh hell yeah...I agree totally...as much as I have this soft spot for hot blondes in my heart....I'm pretty over it all for the most part...

a cutie w/brains who is into technology a bit...that's what I'm talking about...he he he...:D

I am a big fan of the geeky librarian....the girl that is quiet and bookish, wear cute clothes, hair in a bun, held in with a pencil.... but we all know the truth, if you know what i am saying! ;)

That's what I go for. that and girls with the wedge haircut (chin length, poker straight-- think Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction.)

also have a weird thing for girls with odd names......

heh. My parent must be so proud.

britboy
Jun 10, 2002, 02:33 PM

I'll definitely chat you up soon eye...

m

Erm... despite the picture posted by dukestreet, you do know that he's not female, don't you? ;)

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by britboy

Erm... despite the picture posted by dukestreet, you do know that he's not female, don't you? ;)

Yea. I know Eye is a guy. I just noticed some similarities between us personality wise and thought he'd be someone fun to share girl chasing stories with. :)

m

eyelikeart
Jun 10, 2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by britboy

wha? what are u talking about?! he he he... :D ;)

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 10, 2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by phufball71
the dj girl is not cute!!!!!!!!!what is wrong with you guys.You guys need 2 get out more often.Or maybe i do not know the taste of 30-40 year olds.ok, sorry, my favs were Aaron Adams and Dave Haxton.

actually i agree with phuf here. she seems kinda worn out. got that more years on her face than her age warrants, like shes had a tough life.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 10, 2002, 04:23 PM
Interestig, we have a 3 way tie going on right now. Hmmm. I would have expected one to make a bigger splash.

That's one of the things about the ads, its a good idea, but it doens't grab me as much as 'Think Different' We need to make our own - I'll talk with Jello and Dignan about that....

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2002, 04:23 PM
I see where you're coming from AmbitiousLemon.... but those people are generally the ones who have the most intriguing stories-- I've had some great late night convos with people who are "well worn"

I myself might even be one of them....

m

Rower_CPU
Jun 10, 2002, 07:05 PM
A late vote for Haxton here.

I agree with duke on the sincerity bit, plus he's got some other things going for him:

developer- dude's a programmer, sticking it to Windows...can you hear that Ballmer?

older guy- describing his wife setting it up, how easy it was...great for the older customers just getting into computing

glamour- or in this case, lack thereof...he was the plainest of the bunch, plaid shirt, beard, longish hair...the "everyman"

artsy- he straight out says that the platform is not just for artists and idealistic Californians (or something like that ;) )...another good point against the Mac myths