PDA

View Full Version : Woman found alive, buried in snow for three days

mkrishnan
Dec 24, 2008, 12:46 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/12/24/snow.rescue/

"I've been doing search and rescue for seven years, and this is the wildest case I've had in finding someone alive," he said.

Even more incredible: Molnar's body temperature was 30 degrees Fahrenheit, Cox said. She was rushed to a hospital and immediately sedated to begin the agonizing steps of hypothermia treatment.

"I think the snow must have worked to trap her body heat, and that's what really saved her," he said. "This really speaks to what's possible."

David Molnar is calling his wife's survival his "Christmas miracle."

Fascinating random Christmas story. :)

Big-TDI-Guy
Dec 24, 2008, 12:49 PM
Nuggets retreat at the thought... :eek:

haiggy
Dec 24, 2008, 08:17 PM
Yup, happened right in my area. Crazy stuff!

Gray-Wolf
Dec 24, 2008, 09:40 PM
The Lord is wondrous...

Abstract
Dec 24, 2008, 09:54 PM
Grief! My first sentence wouldn't have been, 'Wow. I've been here a long time!' It would have been, 'Um.....I need to pee.'

themoonisdown09
Dec 24, 2008, 09:56 PM
Grief! My first sentence wouldn't have been, 'Wow. I've been here a long time!' It would have been, 'Um.....I need to pee.'

She probably didn't need to pee. Have you never heard of yellow snow?

Kashchei
Dec 24, 2008, 09:59 PM
The Lord is wondrous...

You're obviously referring to the positive outcome of the story. What about the horrible situation itself, was the Lord taking a 3-day long wondrous break?

dmw007
Dec 24, 2008, 10:11 PM
I am glad that she was found before it was too late. :)

That being said, why was she leaving to do grocery shopping in the middle of a blizzard? :eek: :confused:

AmbitiousLemon
Dec 25, 2008, 11:09 AM
Even more incredible: Molnar's body temperature was 30 degrees Fahrenheit, Cox said.

Um, no. At 30F she would have been frozen solid and quite dead. I think you mean 30 Celsius (86F).

GSMiller
Dec 25, 2008, 12:41 PM
I am glad that she was found before it was too late. :)

That being said, why was she leaving to do grocery shopping in the middle of a blizzard? :eek: :confused:

Just because she has a strong will to live doesn't mean she has common sense :p

dmw007
Dec 25, 2008, 08:18 PM
Just because she has a strong will to live doesn't mean she has common sense :p

Quite true, I suppose! :p :D :)

Keebler
Dec 25, 2008, 08:49 PM
Um, no. At 30F she would have been frozen solid and quite dead. I think you mean 30 Celsius (86F).

nope. the reporting is correct. snow has the ability to insulate so despite the extreme temperatures, it was warmer (although still cold) where her body was laying in the snow. re: igloos. If she had been laying out in the open, you're correct - she would have been solid ice.

She is in danger of losing some limbs apparently due to frostbite, but only time will tell.

amazing story.

AmbitiousLemon
Dec 25, 2008, 08:55 PM
nope. the reporting is correct. snow has the ability to insulate so despite the extreme temperatures, it was warmer (although still cold) where her body was laying in the snow. re: igloos. If she had been laying out in the open, you're correct - she would have been solid ice.

She is in danger of losing some limbs apparently due to frostbite, but only time will tell.

amazing story.

Sorry but you are wrong. This is obviously a typo in the article. 30F is below freezing. She would be very dead and stiff as a board - literally frozen solid at 30F. As I pointed out previously the temperature must have been 30C. Re-read the article, they have edited out that part of the story and the only place you can find it now is in the picture caption where they have changed it to 30C rather than 30F.

chilipie
Dec 26, 2008, 04:23 AM

No, AmbitiousLemon is right - the article refers to her body temperature, not that of the snow. Snow at 30C would be equally impressive ;)

Dagless
Dec 26, 2008, 06:42 AM
Waiting for the Wii 2?

sushi
Dec 26, 2008, 06:49 AM
Fascinating random Christmas story. :)
Yep, and with a nice ending! :)

Thanks for sharing.

Schtumple
Dec 26, 2008, 06:52 AM
Waiting for the Wii 2?

Hahaha, amazing.