Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

procreative

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
How do I disable the trackpad on a Unibody MBP when the mouse is plugged in? I recalled a "disable trackpad when using mouse" checkbox under the keyboard/trackpad prefs in Tiger. I cant seem to find it in Leopard

Thanks,

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
How do I disable the trackpad on a Unibody MBP when the mouse is plugged in? I recalled a "disable trackpad when using mouse" checkbox under the keyboard/trackpad prefs in Tiger. I cant seem to find it in Leopard

Thanks,

I dont see it anymore in mouse settings either. This is on a pre-uni MBP.

It was there before 10.5.6. They may have phased it out.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
I don't have a portable Mac, but I believe after updating to 10.5.6, there is actually a separate System Preferences pane specific to the trackpad? Possibly its in there?

procreative

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
I've looked everywhere. I'ts pretty annoying having the cursor move in Photoshop/indesign everytime i move to press the option key. The bottom corner of my palm brushes the trackpad and causes the cursor to move.

Anyone else?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本

Thanks,

It's still there!! Do you need an illustrative screenshot?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Here's a screenshot of my MacBook. Not sure if other notebooks have it, since I was reading the above posts. Hope this helps. Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    102.2 KB · Views: 148

procreative

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
On the new Unibody MBP the trackpad System prefs are totally different. It shows video clips of multitouch examples for you to setup for yourself. But no where on that page allows the user to click a checkbox to disable the mouse like on older notebooks.

procreative

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
This is what the new trackpad prefs look like...

Attachments

• trackpad_prefs.png
    trackpad_prefs.png
    326.4 KB · Views: 136

EchohcE

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2008
The only option I can find for a mouse is in the Keyboard and Mouse part of System Preferences, right to the left of the Trackpad part. It seems to only support Bluetooth mouses...

procreative

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
Just got off of the phone w/ an apple support tech and she informed me that it ISNT possible to disable the trackpad when a mouse is plugged in on the new Unibody notebooks. The only thing that can be done NOW is to submit to apple.com/feedback and leave a comment. Hopefully this is fixed via a firmware update in the future.

Sucks. This seems to be another reason why the Macbook PRO isnt necessarily designed for Pro users.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Just got off of the phone w/ an apple support tech and she informed me that it ISNT possible to disable the trackpad when a mouse is plugged in on the new Unibody notebooks. The only thing that can be done NOW is to submit to apple.com/feedback and leave a comment. Hopefully this is fixed via a firmware update in the future.

Sucks. This seems to be another reason why the Macbook PRO isnt necessarily designed for Pro users.

OUCH! That SUCKS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.