Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darrellishere

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
What have I done? My D70 is far simpler to use, pick up and shoot!

What bugging me the most, is that I shoot RAW Images and I usually rely heavily on the AUTO Mode!
I always turn off the flash too! Sounds simple enough, but this camera won't let me do either ! RRRRRRRRRR

That is, take raw images in any of the preset modes or over ride the flash in those modes. (The jpeg modes! LOL)

I love photography, but Im not a manual type of guy, I hate the fact I have to preview everything in the manual mode to make sure Ive got the right exposure! Im a street photographer and finding this camera pants and uncomfortable to use!

PS the kit lens is awful too, talk about barrel distortion! LOL !

I feel like my stomach has been pulled out , do Canon think they have gotten the balance right?

This is a camera with a split personality, and it dosn't do either well .

Now I'm dreaming about a D90 and wondering how the hell I can get rid of this lo:)

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
LOL... LOL... I swear the next person that writes LOL after something they've said is getting a free trip to the ER.

OK- about your issues with the Canon 450D:

The camera has 2 Auto modes (as well as 2 semi-auto modes, which I would use if I were you). The green square is a full-auto, P&S, make me some JPGs, and use the flash when the camera decides. The P mode allows exposure compensation, shooting in RAW, and selecting when the flash fires. The manual for your new camera can be found here.

If you liked the D70 so much, then why did you get the Canon? I've shot both Nikon and Canon, and chose Canon because the Nikon ergonomics didn't make sense to me. Were you to look online, you'd find that most people would actually disagree with me on that.

I have used the kit lens on the D70, and while the 18-70 was a decent enough lens, I think you should check out the 18-55 that comes with the D40 and D60 before bitching about the Canon kit.

The thing about the split personality is just trolling.

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I don't know if you are looking for sympathy or what. I don't have a 450D nor do I want one, but I do have Canon gear and I love it. That said your problem looks like a problem of poor research before buying and not playing around with a camera in a store first.
Treat this as the warning... know what you want, and get the thing that does what you want it to. Too much research is always better than too little research.

:)

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I don't know if you are looking for sympathy or what. I don't have a 450D nor do I want one, but I do have Canon gear and I love it. That said your problem looks like a problem of poor research before buying and not playing around with a camera in a store first.
Treat this as the warning... know what you want, and get the thing that does what you want it to. Too much research is always better than too little research.

:)

Well, I DO have the 450D and love it and I happen to agree with what you said 100% about having some idea about what you're buying before handing over the cash (especially for a $600 camera).

I have no qualms with being unable to shoot RAW images in the FULL auto modes. If you want an all auto camera go buy a point and shoot.

Anyway, it's called caveat emptor. If you're not familiar you should look it up. ;)

darrellishere

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
Thanks for the reply's, my opinion is a bit harsh I know!

Thanks for the advice about the P Mode, I'll try it.

I didn't want to open the manual as Im not 100% that I'm happy with it yet and was still umming and arring about returning it.

I'd agree about kit lenses, and will probably opt £200 for a 35-mm lens.

As for research, I think I over researched! Read and watched every review, but should have tested it out in jessops before hand. ;)

I chose to move over to canon, based on the lack of noise I saw in images, and that cannon look to photo's! Felt like I needed switch. But their isn't that much between them anymore, and like the guy said, it also comes down to ergonomic of the camera too.

Im sorry I eat my own words! That P mode is great! That was just what I was looking for and couldn't do!

Live view mode still isn't usable though! Don't get that!

Maybe its time to open that manual.

;) Cheers Guy's!

vorkorsigan

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto
Before my wife says it, read the manual 1st! It often pays off even if not reading is more fun - I won't add the L?L world after this as I agreed the 1st reply. Over used and often wrongly!

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
What have I done? My D70 is far simpler to use, pick up and shoot!

What bugging me the most, is that I shoot RAW Images and I usually rely heavily on the AUTO Mode!
I always turn off the flash too! Sounds simple enough, but this camera won't let me do either ! RRRRRRRRRR

That is, take raw images in any of the preset modes or over ride the flash in those modes. (The jpeg modes! LOL)

I love photography, but Im not a manual type of guy, I hate the fact I have to preview everything in the manual mode to make sure Ive got the right exposure! Im a street photographer and finding this camera pants and uncomfortable to use!

PS the kit lens is awful too, talk about barrel distortion! LOL !

I feel like my stomach has been pulled out , do Canon think they have gotten the balance right?

This is a camera with a split personality, and it dosn't do either well .

Now I'm dreaming about a D90 and wondering how the hell I can get rid of this lo:)

Before you give it away as a Christmas present of something, buy a photography guide for it, and learn how to use it. For example, you can switch to P mode, which is fully automatic, but allows you to change most setting manually if that's what you want, including setting it to RAW. However, if not using an external flash, press the flash button for it to pop up. You can also use it on Av mode, which is aperture priority. In this case, you control the lens aperture, and the camera matches it with a shooter speed. Again, if you want to use the built-in flash, press the button first. The next mode is Tv (shutter priority). In this mode you control the shooter speed, and the camera matches it with the proper aperture. The only manual mode is M, and all the modes below P are fully automatic (including popping the flash up).

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Sorry to step on so many peoples tows :D Thank you LOVESONG! ;)

I'm really surprized that anyone would trade a D70 for a 450D. The cameras are so much alike that what is gained? I'm just curious, did you want some specific Canon lens that Nikon did not have?

Any way as you found out the "P" mode is what you want. I tend to use either "P" or "A" on my Nikon. Both modes work identically on the D70 and Canon so I'm surprised you'd not know about "P" from the Nikon.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Im sorry I eat my own words! That P mode is great! That was just what I was looking for and couldn't do!

;) Cheers Guy's!

LOL:D:DThat's quite funny. The manual has too much data, and not very good examples on how to use the camera. Buy a photography guide for it. I am certain that David D. Bush already has such guide written specifically for it. I have one for my 40D.

Here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1598635786

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Hmm, if you are a street photographer who uses the camera in full auto, why get a DSLR? I assume you want a DSLR is because of the image will be clear?

You should get a high-end PnS, it doesn't have pop up flash so you dont need to press any button to get the flash up, its live view is better then a DSLR, and it will get clear images easily, maybe you should go with the PnS with DSLR size sensor (forgot its name). Besides, its portability will beat any DSLR no probs.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Hmm, if you are a street photographer who uses the camera in full auto, why get a DSLR? I assume you want a DSLR is because of the image will be clear?

You should get a high-end PnS, it doesn't have pop up flash so you dont need to press any button to get the flash up, its live view is better then a DSLR, and it will get clear images easily, maybe you should go with the PnS with DSLR size sensor (forgot its name). Besides, its portability will beat any DSLR no probs.

Seconded.
I really don't understand using any Auto modes on a dSLR. I will shoot in semi-auto, like aperture or shutter priority, but come on, even then the camera rarely gives you what you want. How hard is it to read the meter that's right there on top of the camera AND in the viewfinder?

I'll also toss my hat in the ring and say this is a ridiculous thread.

LOL

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

;) Cheers Guy's!

RTFM LOL LOL LOL
But seriously you should. You'll love your camera even more.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I really don't understand using any Auto modes on a dSLR. I will shoot in semi-auto, like aperture or shutter priority, but come on, even then the camera rarely gives you what you want. How hard is it to read the meter that's right there on top of the camera AND in the viewfinder?
Yeah, you got it right.

If I want speed and there is good lighting, I will shoot in AV. But if there is not enough lighting and my lens got no IS, it will be TV. I understand that the image will be darker.

Hmm, so besides creativity (and trying to get the effect you want) what other uses of full manual? Considering that full manual will take slightly longer time to take the shot.

Dont take this any personal OP, just need to understand.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005

I'm still chuckling at someone not knowing how to work a basic function on a camera, yet still knowing exactly what type of photographer they are.

You have to learn your tools before you can define your trade.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
If you're unhappy, then return the Canon for a Nikon (since you have used Nikon before). The D80 is a good bargin and a very good upgrade to the D70 (the viewfinder alone is worth the money).

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I'm still chuckling at someone not knowing how to work a basic function on a camera, yet still knowing exactly what type of photographer they are.

You have to learn your tools before you can define your trade.

You said it brother!

But nowadays that's what we get with the internet photogs and "Digital Photography for Dummies" learners. Not cracking on the OP specifically.

But that part blew my mind, defining themselves as a street photographer (which everyone seems to be doing now for various reasons:rolleyes:and not being very good at it.:rolleyes:) yet not knowing how to use a camera.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
If you're unhappy, then return the Canon for a Nikon (since you have used Nikon before). The D80 is a good bargin and a very good upgrade to the D70 (the viewfinder alone is worth the money).
Well he could do that but it still doesnt run away from the fact that he is not using a DSLR to its potential, might as well he stick with a high-end PnS (there is one with the DSLR size sensor) because its portability will fit his street photography more.

I wonder why did he upgrade his body in the first place and judging cause he switch from Nikon to Canon I guess he got no lens to lose by switching to different company?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Well he could do that but it still doesnt run away from the fact that he is not using a DSLR to its potential, might as well he stick with a high-end PnS (there is one with the DSLR size sensor) because its portability will fit his street photography more.
That's right, but there are plenty of people out there not using their gear to the fullest potential. And perhaps they don't want to invest the time in it. Even if the OP manages to use the Canon later on, it seems it still wouldn't feel as `natural' as his Nikon.
I wonder why did he upgrade his body in the first place and judging cause he switch from Nikon to Canon I guess he got no lens to lose by switching to different company?
Perhaps it was a Christmas present? Or the OP bought a camera based on specs? Dunno.

@Digital Skunk
There are plenty of photographers who aren't `the technical type,' who think in terms of look and not exposure information. You don't need to know what an aperture of f/2.8 means to know that you'd like to take pictures of people in the park or subway.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
@Digital Skunk
There are plenty of photographers who aren't `the technical type,' who think in terms of look and not exposure information. You don't need to know what an aperture of f/2.8 means to know that you'd like to take pictures of people in the park or subway.

True, but I wasn't talking about the technical type. Learning how to use your gear is something completely different from being a "gear head" and just knowing a lot of technology behind the imaging sensor and AF engine.

And I disagree about knowing what an aperture of f/2.8 means. That's the fundamentals of image making and something that shouldn't be left out. Just like knowing what ISO values do for your images and the limitations of your camera body and lenses.

Not knowing is being just what I said... an internet photographer and/or "DP for Dummies" learner. Nothing wrong with trying to learn how to take better pictures for soccer games and birthday parties, but to call oneself a street photographer and want to make good images one should know about the tools they are using and how said tools effect their final images.

This is also the reason why the OP switched in the first place. They should have known that the IQ from the D70 to the 450D wouldn't change much at all, with the newer Canon body having the slight edge. But doing research would have led them to the D80 or D90 which would have been the perfect upgrade path.

Not knowing the technical side of photography is also what gets shooters not knowing how to use state-of-the-art gear like the Nikon D300 or D3 or Canon 1DIII and complaining about their final images.

In photography, just like many other fields, you have to know both the theory and practice. You have to have experience shooting, and technical knowledge of the tools and technique used. Some lean more to the left than the right, and many are in the middle. But being completely on one side will leave a shooter with great gear (D300) and poor images.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
In theory, you're right and people would only make informed decision, be it when buying a car, a camera or a computer. And theoretically, theory and praxis are the same. Practically, they're not ;)

I agree that people should know their gear better, even their old gear. But on the other hand, the OP's reaction was quite clear: he wasn't interested in an explanation on how to use his new camera, it was a rant that he couldn't use his new camera. According to his own words, he could use his Nikon better. And since the technical possibilities are pretty much the same on both cameras, he can learn more effectively with a camera that he feels more familiar with.

I fully support your call for the OP to learn more about photography, but I think he should start with a camera that he feels comfortable with.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Excellent replies (is it me or the photogs community at MR is getting better? :cool:)

Anyway you made a good persuasive point there OreoCookie. I end up agree with you that the OP should change to Nikon if that is what he is more comfortable with but I also agree that he needs to learn how to use other DSLR functions in order to make good use of it.

Well since he didn't even use his Nikon to full extent and leave it to full auto, I guess it doesn't matter which system he use cause he didn get use with the common DSLR camera functions like Aperture, EV, Exposure - One of the reason why I decided to choose Canon in the first place is because Nikon entry level model got no wheels to adjust basic settings, I dun like a lot of button clicking just to change basic features. From the way I see it, I do hope Canon change their strategy for the 5D (more AF would be nice or at least wider AF).

I also like the fact that it is easier to understand Canon lens and their terminology.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
In theory, you're right and people would only make informed decision, be it when buying a car, a camera or a computer. And theoretically, theory and praxis are the same. Practically, they're not ;)

I agree that people should know their gear better, even their old gear. But on the other hand, the OP's reaction was quite clear: he wasn't interested in an explanation on how to use his new camera, it was a rant that he couldn't use his new camera. According to his own words, he could use his Nikon better. And since the technical possibilities are pretty much the same on both cameras, he can learn more effectively with a camera that he feels more familiar with.

I fully support your call for the OP to learn more about photography, but I think he should start with a camera that he feels comfortable with.

Oh yeah, that is the truth. In a perfect world people would make informed decisions about everything they choose... but we all know what type of world we do live in, especially in regards to consumption.

I agree with those that say the OP should have kept their D70, maybe moved up to a D70s or D80. Even know I am finding out all the technical methods used to pull amazing images from my D2xs and D2hs. I know their limits, but I haven't maxed out the abilities of either body just yet.

For example, shooting JPEG with a D2h or x yields decent/useable images at ISO 1600 while for years I wouldn't dare go above ISO800.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.