Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

becky280

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Last week on the plane I used my own earbuds to watch the movie playing, but later when I plugged them into my iPod touch they had a newfound horrible cracking, quiet gurgly sound. Now they only work if I twist the earphones a certain way and hold them there.

I'm aware this has likely irreversibly destroyed my buds, but ifi continue to use them on my iPod, will this potentially negatively affect my iPod as well? Thanks

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Last week on the plane I used my own earbuds to watch the movie playing, but later when I plugged them into my iPod touch they had a newfound horrible cracking, quiet gurgly sound. Now they only work if I twist the earphones a certain way and hold them there.

I'm aware this has likely irreversibly destroyed my buds, but ifi continue to use them on my iPod, will this potentially negatively affect my iPod as well? Thanks

That's interesting! I have a pair of V-Moda Vibe Duos, and I used them on a flight in October. A week or so after I got back, I experienced the same problem- crackling, having to twist the jack to get sound, then only sound in one ear, then no sound at all.

Luckily, I was at the Apple Store in Century City for an unrelated issue with my MacBook when this all started to happen. I showed a sales rep, and he replaced them for me (he wasn't supposed to, but he was being nice).

I never connected the flight with the damaged jack. Now I know what happened..... sorry this happened to you, but thanks for connecting two dots for me.

I doubt it would cause damage to your iPod, but you never know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.