Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marmaladeboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
In the recent months I've been using vuze for torrenting.
I know this isn't new to most of you.
But it gives me question about the hardware.

How long can my macbook stay 'on'?

I don't mean close the lid and let it sleep. I'm asking you there if anybody had tried staying on (using the adapter of course, and letting it downloading whatever) overnight, or over the weekends? Will staying on fried my laptop?

Please comment,
thanks

krypticos

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
no it should not bother the laptop as long as the fan can breathe but i leave my imac g4 on all the time and its just fine. i leave my laptop on all the time. happy holidays.

Solemony

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2008
Wonderland

I don't mean close the lid and let it sleep. I'm asking you there if anybody had tried staying on (using the adapter of course, and letting it downloading whatever) overnight, or over the weekends? Will staying on fried my laptop?

Please comment,
thanks

It should be fine and I have left my iMac G5 overnight for a couple of times on downloading torrentz. As long there're airflow then your MB shouldn't fried. It's good to have a constant airflow in your MB so it wouldn't overheat itself :)

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I don't there is such a thing as leaving your laptop on for TOO long.. I mean, they're computers, supposed to run and run and run :D
As long as you don't block the air exhaust you should be fine...

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本

Please comment,
thanks

Since it's electrical and without any moving parts (minus the fan and the HD) you can leave the system on continuously. In fact, leaving the HD running is actually better for it than forcing it to sleep, sleeping the HD and or system only does one thing. Conserve power.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
You can let it run forever, literally. The hard drive and fan will die in a decade, but the other parts should run fine without any problems. Be sure to clean the heatsink every now and then and don't block the exhaust.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
OH just a reminder... You might want to calibrate the battery about once a month... which means you would have to let your computer sleep.

technojinn

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
There should not be a problem at all. I do that all the time on my old core duo macbook pro. Most of the time, it was on about 4 to 5 days at time without reboot. It seemed to get a little sluggish after so many days without reboot, but ultimately no problems. I bought the computer in april 2006, and i am still using it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.