Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joppin14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Just got a brand new laptop and downloaded Limewire and the brand new itunes version.

I have already downloaded a couple of songs and I tried to get them on to iTunes like I did on my old laptop (drag).

How can I get music onto iTunes from Limewire?

Merry Christmas!

iOwnxD

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
Try click in iTunes- File-Add Folder To Library-Folder Your Songs Are In-OK. That's how I do it and it works great.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
I think this thread is going to get killed in a few hours. :cool: BTW stealing music can get you in big trouble with the law if you get caught. :mad:

laserfox

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
new york
Just got a brand new laptop and downloaded Limewire and the brand new itunes version.

I have already downloaded a couple of songs and I tried to get them on to iTunes like I did on my old laptop (drag).

How can I get music onto iTunes from Limewire?

Merry Christmas!

isn't there a limewire forum you can go to get help? I think you are on jokes, because this is an ipod touch forum!

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
I think this thread is going to get killed in a few hours. :cool: BTW stealing music can get you in big trouble with the law if you get caught. :mad:

Using LImewire is not against the law. Downloading copywrited music without paying is. There is a lot of material available via Limewire that is not copywrite protected and can be legally downloaded.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Guys, stop flaming him.
Don't yell at him because he illegally downloads music.

To the OP, we can't help you with music that wasn't legitimately obtained.
Simple fact, we may get a time out or you may get a time out; discussion on advice for illegally downloaded music is frowned upon here.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Using LImewire is not against the law. Downloading copywrited music without paying is. There is a lot of material available via Limewire that is not copywrite protected and can be legally downloaded.

...and I am SURE that he is NOT downloading copyrighted songs...

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
ok although he (and sumtimes me) is prly downing pirated music, if i decided 2 make a song in garageband and give it 2 a friend through limewire, that is PERFECTLY legal.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
ok although he (and sumtimes me) is prly downing pirated music, if i decided 2 make a song in garageband and give it 2 a friend through limewire, that is PERFECTLY legal.

A song you made yourself? Distributed over LimeWire? Of course!

It's just quite difficult to determine the legality of the music downloaded by the OP. Therefore, we have to give him the detriment-of-the-doubt.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
...and I am SURE that he is NOT downloading copyrighted songs...

He might or might not be. The point is that it is not illegal to use Limewire and people shouldn't be scared off from using it if it meets their needs. Limewire clearly warns against copywrite infringement, so the user has to assume responsibility to remain within the law. This is a valuable application that should be supported.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
A song you made yourself? Distributed over LimeWire? Of course!

It's just quite difficult to determine the legality of the music downloaded by the OP. Therefore, we have to give him the detriment-of-the-doubt.

innocent until proven guilty. THAT is the law

therealdt

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2008
northeast region
He might or might not be. The point is that it is not illegal to use Limewire and people shouldn't be scared off from using it if it meets their needs. Limewire clearly warns against copywrite infringement, so the user has to assume responsibility to remain within the law. This is a valuable application that should be supported.

Good point.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Guys, stop flaming him.

To the OP, we can't help you with music that wasn't legitimately obtained.
Simple fact, we may get a time out or you may get a time out; discussion on advice for illegally downloaded music is frowned upon here.

Are you serious? The use of applications like Limewire is not illegal per se. Are we not allowed to discuss how to use this software for legal purposes, like downloading historical speeches by past Presidents that are not copywrite protected? I doubt that MR would restrict a mere discussion of the mechanics of using software to legally download this kind of free information. If a moderator is listening in, perhaps they can clarify this. (If I am breaking the rules by this post, I will henceforth cease and desist.)

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Are you serious? The use of applications like Limewire is not illegal per se. Are we not allowed to discuss how to use this software for legal purposes, like downloading historical speeches by past Presidents that are not copywrite protected? I doubt that MR would restrict a mere discussion of the mechanics of using software to legally download this kind of free information. If a moderator is listening in, perhaps they can clarify this. (If I am breaking the rules by this post, I will henceforth cease and desist.)

As stated before, the program itself is not illegal, it's what you do with it.
And we are about 99% sure he is using it to illegally download music.
He actually said he needs help transferring songs downloaded from limewire.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
As stated before, the program itself is not illegal, it's what you do with it.
And we are about 99% sure he is using it to illegally download music.
He actually said he needs help transferring songs downloaded from limewire.

I'm sorry, but there are songs that can be legally downloaded using Limewire. Can't we provide guidance on doing that? If we have to by default assume that someone is using software for illegal purposes, it seems like there could be a lot of other applications and even hardware that we will have to stop discussing. Taking it to an absurd extreme, we might have to not mention Version Tracker because it provides automatic notification of Limewire updates. I will go back and read the MR rules on this sort of thing, but right now it sounds like madness to me.

Sigur

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
You support people if they want to burn a CD but not if they have problems with Limewire?? I don't get it.

EDIT: And don't tell me you wouldn't support someone who has questions about burning a CD.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I'm sorry, but there are songs that can be legally downloaded using Limewire. Can't we provide guidance on doing that? If we have to by default assume that someone is using software for illegal purposes, it seems like there could be a lot of other applications and even hardware that we will have to stop discussing. Taking it to an absurd extreme, we might have to not mention Version Tracker because it provides automatic notification of Limewire updates. I will go back and read the MR rules on this sort of thing, but right now it sounds like madness to me.

True, he may have legally downloaded the music.
But chances are he didn't.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

riiiiight... and I am 100% SURE that he is NOT illegally downloading music since he posted this thread in the iPod touch forum. Because iPods let you listen to music right?

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
True, he may have legally downloaded the music.
But chances are he didn't.

Are you suggesting that we shouldn't be allowed to discuss how to do something that is legal because someone may be doing something illegally with the same software? This is very limiting and will stifle discussion of useful applications to the detriment of those of us who want to be as functionally literate as we can be.

I read the MR rules and didn't find anything that looks like it would bar the discussion of the legal use of Limewire. The only rule I could find is quoted below.

"Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites or software whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help."

Since Limewire's purpose is not to violate license or copyright agreements (it even warns against it), I don't see how the above rule applies to this thread.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
riiiiight... and I am 100% SURE that he is NOT illegally downloading music since he posted this thread in the iPod touch forum. Because iPods let you listen to music right?

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. iPods let you do a lot more than listen to music. You can listen to audio files like speeches, news, talk radio podcasts, video, and a whole lot more that is available free not only from iTunes but also through Limewire.

Sigur

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008

Ever heard about music that is not illegal to download?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I doubt that MR would restrict a mere discussion of the mechanics of using software to legally download this kind of free information. If a moderator is listening in, perhaps they can clarify this. (If I am breaking the rules by this post, I will henceforth cease and desist.)
You may discuss software like Limewire that can be used to obtain both licensed and unlicensed media, i.e., give other members the benefit of the doubt. You may discuss how to use these programs (features, mechanics, performance, etc.).

You may not ask for or post specific site names or URLs for sites whose primary purpose is to illegally share music, and you may not ask for or give assistance when the request states that the goal is to obtain commercial material without paying for it. This applies to commercial software as well. If you are in doubt, contact us before posting. Please report threads or posts if you think they violate our policies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.