Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
After getting my new full HDTV today, I was thinking of buying a mac mini as a media centre, But then figured it would save me money, and time transferring files, to use the new tv with my iMac.

What i need to know is, what type of cable would give me 1920x1080. I have no DVI inputs, so Would i need to go down the
Mini DVI > adapters > HDMI > TV
or be able to use
Mini DVI > Adapter > VGA > TV

PS, does anyone know if there is a maximum lenght for the cables?

Thanks in adnavce

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
After getting my new full HDTV today, I was thinking of buying a mac mini as a media centre, But then figured it would save me money, and time transferring files, to use the new tv with my iMac.

What i need to know is, what type of cable would give me 1920x1080. I have no DVI inputs, so Would i need to go down the
Mini DVI > adapters > HDMI > TV
or be able to use
Mini DVI > Adapter > VGA > TV

PS, does anyone know if there is a maximum lenght for the cables?

Thanks in adnavce

I heard bad things about HDMI and issues with aspect rations and pixel per pixel representation on the TV. I went with Mini DVI - Adapter - VGA - TV for that reason. I have a 50 foot VGA cable that I grabbed for about $25 from one of the on-line cable sites, and it works great. The resolution on the TV is crisp and gorgeous, and the iMac recognized the TV and the resolution automatically. Very easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.