Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
Macbook 2.o ghz was bought on 8 December, i want to upgrade to 2.4ghz. I have opened it,used it, downloaded msn and took pictures on photobooth.
I bought it in an apple store and have receipt, will i beable to return it for an upgrade?

youssefm

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
its past the 14 day period, but you can try and pay the restocking fee and upgrade fee if you want.. i don't think you should upgrade personally

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
Probably not, but worth a shot. You're outside the 2 week return window, but if you ask nicely they may allow it.

bsp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
I heard somewhere it was 30days but i must be wrong..

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
Macbook 2.o ghz was bought on 8 December, i want to upgrade to 2.4ghz. I have opened it,used it, downloaded msn and took pictures on photobooth.
I bought it in an apple store and have receipt, will i beable to return it for an upgrade?

They will not let you do an exchange after 14 days if you bought it from the Apple store.

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
Nah definitely 14 days. If you ask nicely and buy a new one at the same time you return it they might not ask you to pay the restocking fee, who knows.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Unless if you get a really nice (and I mean way out of his way) manager or other employee dealing with your return, then they most likely will not let you return it because you are out of the 14 day return period. But if for whatever reason they do allow you to return it, expect to pay the 10% restocking fee. The chances of them accepting it as a return are so small and I would say that it is not worth your effort, as you will most likely not be allowed to return it.

bsp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
ok then, i take it you cant update the ghz then without getting a new mac?
And if i wanted to upgrade my memory from 160gb to 250gb how would i do this?

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
ok then, i take it you cant update the ghz then without getting a new mac?
And if i wanted to upgrade my memory from 160gb to 250gb how would i do this?

I read the 0.4GHz difference is minimum, you can't really tell, so don't worry.
As for the HD and RAM, they are both user upgradable without having to worry about the warranty, just keep the originals in case you have to sent the Macbook in for repair as Apple is not responsible for your new Memory and HD.
2GB of Memory is plenty for regular use and is still quite expensive, wait some more time,maybe and upgrade later to 4GB, for instance, it's supposed to be DDR3 1066MHz
as for the HD, as long as it's 2.5" I think you're good to go, Buy a case for the one inside your Mac and you can even upgrade to a 500GB and 7200rpm opposed to the 5400rpm you currently have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.