Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I'm no HTML Guru. In fact, I hate HTML :D (was more of a C/C++ kiddy). That said, I really want to create a decent web page. Perhaps I'm asking too much, so let me define what I actually need.

I'm an avid amateur photographer, and I spend a lot of time with my PB. I'm currently using a free version of Freeway (free meaning it's version 1.0.2) which is a classic app. This application is CRAP. However, it is just what I need.

A fairly simple builder that would allow easy page building by someone without any working knowledge of HTML. Anything that would let me stick pictures, movies, and FLASH stuff on the web. I'm becoming quite skilled with Flash, but no one likes pure Flash websites, and I spend most of my time on a modem (at least until college...).

Any Ideas? I leave for Costa Rica in 2-3 weeks, and need something that I can reliably use with ease, and speed, while I'm down there. Freeway has everything I need, except speed, ease, and stability :(

Tyler
Earendil

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Well... Thats exactly what I am looking for, since morning. A webpage 'builder' rather an html editor.
So I would also appreciate any help.
Thanks

GovornorPhatt

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2003
Where do YOU live?
Check out Macromedia Contribute 2.0. I build a website for a client who was able to add their own content and new pages with ease. I saw a demonstration at Macworld SF. The presenter said that it is so simple to use (not to say that it's not powerful) that it doesnt even have a manual. The only documentation is the built in help (which is wonderful) and one getting started sheet. It even comes with a free, fully functioning 30 day trial.

Just visit http://www.macromedia.com/software/contribute/ to learn more or download a free trial. I recomend it for new web site builders or pro's looking for a fast way to update an existing site.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it is 99$ for two liscences and will go up to 150$ April 1

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
FelixDerKater said:
I think you are asking too much from a free program.

This may be. But recently I've found that I've vastly underestimated the Macintosh shareware community.

I'm a student, a very poor student. It just seems like there has to be a none professional *simple* web page builder for poor kids that just want to put something simple up.

perhaps I'm wrong and there isn't a market for something like this in the form of a $10 or $20 shareware program that I could try before I buy. Even a newbie style page builder for $99 is way out of the budget, and really not worth it to me.
So, yeah, I suppose I'm asking too much :(

Thanks for the links though guys, I'll look into them when I become rich :D

Tyler
Zuck

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Earendil said:
This may be. But recently I've found that I've vastly underestimated the Macintosh shareware community.

I'm a student, a very poor student. It just seems like there has to be a none professional *simple* web page builder for poor kids that just want to put something simple up.

perhaps I'm wrong and there isn't a market for something like this in the form of a $10 or $20 shareware program that I could try before I buy. Even a newbie style page builder for $99 is way out of the budget, and really not worth it to me.

Tyler
Zuck

Hmmm... Looks like a corner of the market that needs to be filled... A cheap/free WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) HTML editor...

*Starts Codin'* :D :D

brianellisrules

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Earendil said:

Tyler
Zuck
So what's stopping you from learning HTML and CSS? You dislike it?

DVW86

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2004
Washington State
Believe it or not, but Mozilla is a pretty good "page builder" if you have a good text editor to go with it. I have used Dreamweaver and it is much more powerful than Mozilla, but Mozilla is easier to use and does everything I need. BBEdit Lite 6.1 for OS X is my preferred text editor. Both are free and they do a very good job. For an example go to
http://www.vanwormers.webhop.net

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
good book for flash mx ?

k, i got flash mx 2004, 3 days back. also made a pretty basic page. I would appreciate if someone can point me to a good book for actionscript and flash mx. Like it should have both. How good is 'Flash mx bible'? anyone?
thanks..

P.S. Earendil : Being good at Flash yourself, what do you suggest? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.