Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
what weekly and monthly maintenance should i be doing on my blackbook? programs etc?

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
I see people bring this up a lot - is this really necessary? How can we tell if our machine needs some of this done?
No, not so much. I used my old G4 yesterday running 10.1. I've never repaired permissions on that thing nor have I reinstalled the OS since I got it (after upgrading from cheetah) and it still runs as it did new.

amrk47

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2007
akon is right. If you treat your machine nicely and don't do hard shutdowns (holding the power button until the machine forces off) and force quits then you should not need to ever repair permissions. However it always does not work that way.

As for weekly and monthly maintenance, OSX by default runs daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance processes. Just keep up-to-date with all updates, avoid suspicious downloads, and treat your machine kindly.

Also consider the free utility, Onyx as the panacea for all your maintenance concerns.

i didnt know that

care to elab?

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
so this is what i did, i got mainmenu and onyx ran all scripts and did diskutlity and repair permissions, did i go about this wrong or am i on the spot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.