Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

connected

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
I'm in the market for a new MacBook, but the video on Apple's website kinda appalled me.

Apple make several claims about improved environmental friendliness of their new products, but avoid mentioning anything about the impact of the new multiple-stage production process for the unibody case enclosure, which looks like it uses a heck of a lot of water and creates potential for a lot of waste.

In leading with unibody production in their marketing of the MacBook, I think Apple have got so wrapped up in their own hype about the only thing really 'new' about this product, that they're highlighting something most consumers don't care about at all, and scares those that do - environmentally concerned consumers.

That dirty water spraying on the camera in that video is an environmentalist's nightmare.

And "engineered to standards that don't even exist yet" ?? Do they expect us to swallow this bs? This is most ill-conceived marketing campaign since Bill Gates wiggled his butt at Sienfeld. C'mon Apple!

Guess I'll still be buying a MacBook though, it seems to shine through their crappy hype anyway. But wish I could buy something equally good that was truly eco-friendly.

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada
I'm in the market for a new MacBook, but the video on Apple's website kinda appalled me.

Apple make several claims about improved environmental friendliness of their new products, but avoid mentioning anything about the impact of the new multiple-stage production process for the unibody case enclosure, which looks like it uses a heck of a lot of water and creates potential for a lot of waste.

In leading with unibody production in their marketing of the MacBook, I think Apple have got so wrapped up in their own hype about the only thing really 'new' about this product, that they're highlighting something most consumers don't care about at all, and scares those that do - environmentally concerned consumers.

That dirty water spraying on the camera in that video is an environmentalist's nightmare.

And "engineered to standards that don't even exist yet" ?? Do they expect us to swallow this bs? This is most ill-conceived marketing campaign since Bill Gates wiggled his butt at Sienfeld. C'mon Apple!

Guess I'll still be buying a MacBook though, it seems to shine through their crappy hype anyway. But wish I could buy something equally good that was truly eco-friendly.

The dirty water is coolant it is collected and filtered and used again.....and the waste from the machining is collected and made into new ally slabs to make more unibodys...

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Dude, do you understand what they do with the water from milling processes across the globe?

Its reused, never dumped.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
EPEAT Gold

Because MacBook is environmentally innovative, it has earned the highest rating of EPEAT Gold. The Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool, or EPEAT, evaluates the environmental impact of a product based on how recyclable it is, how much energy it uses, and how it’s designed and manufactured. Few products achieve EPEAT Gold status — and even fewer notebooks

How about this for proof? They don't just make up these ratings on their own...

http://images.apple.com/environment/resources/pdf/MacBook-Environmental-Report.pdf

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008

Why don't you do a little research for yourself?

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Lol are you agreeing with the OP or are you agreeing with the other guy? :rolleyes:

He's agreeing with facts. Water is sprayed on to objects while they're being milled as it allows a smoother finish due to more lubricant between the drill and the object, plus it also reduces heat and thus prevents errors due to expansion of the metal.

This water is then re-used for the same purpose.

You say that it is an environmentalists nightmare? It seems like the opposite. You have two options:
1. Reuse water and thus spray water that is contaminated with nothing but small flakes of metal.
2. Dump the water somewhere and use new, "clean" water.

Reusing the water creates zero negative effects and prevents the need to get new water. Someone enlighten me how this is bad for the environment...

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
OP, you got...
asiankickinthebackfallspo5.gif

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
He's agreeing with facts. Water is sprayed on to objects while they're being milled as it allows a smoother finish due to more lubricant between the drill and the object, plus it also reduces heat and thus prevents errors due to expansion of the metal.

This water is then re-used for the same purpose.

You say that it is an environmentalists nightmare? It seems like the opposite. You have two options:
1. Reuse water and thus spray water that is contaminated with nothing but small flakes of metal.
2. Dump the water somewhere and use new, "clean" water.

Reusing the water creates zero negative effects and prevents the need to get new water. Someone enlighten me how this is bad for the environment...

Great post. Except before being reused any and all contaminants are removed, otherwise it would mess up the machinery.

connected

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Thanks for the explanation of EPEAT Gold, makes me feel better about buying a MacBook.

I doubt unibody production has "zero negative effects" as some replies above claimed, that's just laughable. But if it's cleaner than Dell's processes, then at least Apple's moving in the right direction.

Still think leading with production processes of the MackBook is a totally misguided marketing approach. The self-congratulatory drivel from the lead designer in the video makes me want to hurl.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Still think leading with production processes of the MackBook is a totally misguided marketing approach. The self-congratulatory drivel from the lead designer in the video makes me want to hurl.

Well, yea, thats your problem. Its a video to awe and market the product, something apple has always done well with.

The green factor isn't apples only approach to selling it though.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Thanks for the explanation of EPEAT Gold, makes me feel better about buying a MacBook.

I doubt unibody production has "zero negative effects" as some replies above claimed, that's just laughable. But if it's cleaner than Dell's processes, then at least Apple's moving in the right direction.

This is a bit ridiculous dude... What do you want them to do? Bash their products?!? Of course they're gonna try to push the most unique aspects about the macbooks.. only makes sense. wouldn't you ?!?

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Great post. Except before being reused any and all contaminants are removed, otherwise it would mess up the machinery.

While I pretty much assumed this was the case, I wasn't sure of it. The rest I knew from my experience with milling machines so I was just working on keeping facts in there as far as I knew, haha. Thanks for letting me know.

Halon X

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Malibu, CA
I love when I get my prejudices about hippies IQ confirmed ;)

:D

Some people spend way to much time worrying about and trying to bring attention to the stupidest of things while basing their opinions on observation instead of fact!

I'm appalled at the amount of electricity that's been wasted and will continue to be wasted on this thread!

connected

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Didn't mean to upset any high IQ nerds here, don't take it personal. Fact is, Apple isn't a very green company. They make consumer electronics using polluting processes and generate a lot of packaging and waste (remember that Apple IIe you dumped in landfill?)

But seems they are at least taking steps to change with their latest line of products, which is great! Still, consumers need to remain sceptical about their claims - to ensure it isn't all green backwash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.