Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wangagat

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
Hey guys.

I don't own a mac yet (just an Ipod) though I'm on the verge of buying a 15" Albook.

I'm checking out what other products I will have to purchase in order to completely transition from my current PC.

as mentioned in an earlier thread, I am a drummer and I own a Yamaha DTXpress II electronic drum kit. I'll want to connect this using midi to my powerbook and garabeband.

I'll need optical or coax digital out to connect to a Dolby Digital decoder for movies.

for those two needs, I have found quite a few devices that would do the job. notably, the m-audio audiophile USB and audiophile firewire.

heck, I could even have seperate devices for midi and digital out.

now, where things get obscure is where Mac gaming gets involed.

what kind of surround sound effect can I get within games by just using the spdif output? I'm thinking none, only PCM stereo but I hope someone proves me wrong.

if I am wrong, then I guess the sound card will have to feature analog outputs.

using just a stereo analog output, what kind of matrix surround modes can I achieve? if any, then I can still use the audiophile devices as they both have analog stereo outs. (although I'm not sure if the soundcard needs to support matrix modes or if it's done in software)

thanks.
Daniel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.