Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
I have a logitech marble mouse trackball. the last 2 or 3 days I have noticed an issue where it won't click in a certain spot of an app. I can always click on the finder then back on the app and it will work fine again or sometimes if I resize the window. FYI: I use the logitech control centre sw under panther x.3.2 to program the scroll and also right click on the second button. never had an issue with this sw under panther before and I have been using panther since nov.

any ideas as to what would cause this odd glitch?

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Logitech trackball issue

Originally posted by blue&whiteman
I have a logitech marble mouse trackball.
any ideas as to what would cause this odd glitch?
I've been using trackballs for over 10 years and never seen this, but mine have always been Kensington.
If cleaning with alcohol doesn't work, contact manufacturer. I do not think it is software based, but something in the mouse.
Welcome to Panther, you're going to love it.

Good luck. :cool:

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
Well, if this only happens in a certain application and not in any others in your use since November, I'd have to think it is a software problem, maybe an unhappy interaction between your app and your trackball driver. Have you grabbed the latest driver revision for your trackball? Maybe they've updated it for Panther. Are there any service packs or updates for the application in question?

Have you made any other system or configuration changes in the last few days? New USB devices?

Cheers,

Crikey

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I have two Logitech Marble Mouse (Mousies, Mice?) and haven't had such a problem.

My Device Manager is version 1.1 (1.1.1), if that helps. I'm using Mac OS X v10.3.2.

If you tell me which application is in question and I have it, I'd be glad to test for you.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
it mainly happens in fire, direct connect and some web links. in fire I can click on the outer border of the window but not on a name in the buddy list until I click on the finder then back into fire. direct connect doesn't let me resize the columns when this happens. and sometimes I can't click on a certain web link yet I can on the one right above or below.

very odd

I forgot to add that I am also running device manager 1.1.1. I also had a thought that this could maybe be a theme glitch. I run shapeshifter 1.0 with the 4.1 smooth stripes theme. hope this extra info helps you guys understand whats up.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Glitch with Trackball, Application, OSX, what?

What happens when you CLOSE then OPEN the Application again?
What happens when you RESTART your Mac and return to where you were?
Does this ever happen in OS 9.2.2 (not asking about Classic)?

Unlike the Kensington trackballs, the Logitech Marble Mouse trackball is held mechanically (but possible to remove with some force) from freely popping out of its nest (sounds more descriptive than "hole"). This attribute has proved crucial to a MacBuddy with limited hand/arm function - and thus DROPS his mouse a lot while trying to use it hand-held. He retrieves it himself without outside help by pulling it back up on the USB cord (don't tell Logitech techs ;)) and the ball rarely if ever pops out. A real life saver for him, otherwise, he really would be losing his Marbles.:p
Thanks Logitech for that intelligent design. So much for wireless mice...;)

Attachments

• 125.gif
    125.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 389

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
I don't have to close the app to get it to work again. I just click on the desktop and then back on the app. yes a restart does take it away for a bit. I never boot into os9 anymore. don't even have it installed.

the pic is exactly like mine btw. I love the small scroll buttons much better than a scroll wheel. the first version of the marble mouse had no scroll buttons but were added soon after. I love it. just wish this wasn't happening.

keep in mind though that this problem isn't so bad that I cannot use my comp. its more of a minor rash kinda problem :)

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
the problem is now totally isolated in the bottom left corner of the screen. I usually keep my vlc and mplayer controllers there. it seems that any thing right in the corner for a couple square inches across won't let me click it. I dragged a browser window down till a link was directly in that corner. it moused over it and turned into a hand but would not click on it. would a really high res have anything to do with it? I run my osx desktop at 1920x1440.

any ideas?

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
dead space for mousing

blue&whiteman said:
the problem is now totally isolated in the bottom left corner of the screen. I usually keep my vlc and mplayer controllers there. it seems that any thing right in the corner for a couple square inches across won't let me click it. I dragged a browser window down till a link was directly in that corner. it moused over it and turned into a hand but would not click on it. would a really high res have anything to do with it? I run my osx desktop at 1920x1440?
Sorry, no ideas from me. Have you contacted Logitech support to run this by them?
They either know the answer, or would like to know about the problem.
good luck

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
never did that because I figured its out of warrantee so they won't provide support. I got this about 15 months ago and I think the warrantee is only 1 year. its worth a try though. thanks

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
blue&whiteman said:
never did that because I figured its out of warrantee so Logitech won't provide support. I got this about 15 months ago and I think the warrantee is only 1 year. its worth a try though. thanks
I don't know about Logitech, but I've been doing business with Kensington buying their Trackballs for the last 12 years, and plan to continue for the next dozen more because
when my 1st Trackball was long out of warranty in the old serial connection days, one of the sensor wheels DIED on me; so I called Kensington about a replacement "part".

Kensington asked me for my serial number, verified that I had registered, then said
"Yeah, we've been having some trouble with those, let me send you a new one -- it shouldn't have that problem anymore because we fixed it."
Now that's customer service... and loyalty to customers.
After that kind of treatment, is it any wonder why I have such "customer loyalty" to Kensington as a company and for its products.

Let's see how Logitech compares.
Please report back.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
bousozoku said:
I have two Logitech Marble Mouse (Mousies, Mice?) and haven't had such a problem...

I have 4 of them, use them with PCs and Macs (even on a Sun thru my KVM), with no driver software, and never have had any problem at all. I love them, the fingertip pointing and high accuracy make them the best mice around.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
like I said earlier in this thread I have had this marble mouse for over a year and never had an issue till a few days ago. it seems to have worked itself out now. I rebooted about 3 hours ago and the problem has not come back yet. it used to reappear about 30-60 min after a reboot so I don't know what to think. I am still going to contact logitech just for the sake of it. it was a very odd problem.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Trackball losing its magnetic Marbles

blue&whiteman said:
... I have had this marble mouse for over a year and never had an issue till a few days ago. It seems to have worked itself out now. I rebooted about 3 hours ago and the problem has not come back yet. it used to reappear about 30-60 min after a reboot so I don't know what to think. It was a very odd problem.
According to some of Tesla's theories regarding electromagnetic disturbances, the cursor behavior you describe could very well be explained by physical science.
I'd be interested to know if you are using a CRT monitor (like a TV), of if you have this problem of the cursor disappearing on an LCD. Also, whether the incidents are more common during the day or at night. Marking down the time, date, duration and time period since startup or reboot would be helpful.
According to Tesla, such occurances are more common above the 42nd parallel (in declination of latitude from the equator), closer to either the North or South poles. While it would be difficult for laymen like us to determine if there is any unusual solar activity (sun spots, solar wind, or solar flares) directly affecting you, the presence of electromagnetically charged particles in the atmosphere can sometimes be visually identified in the night sky as either the the aurora borealis (north) or aurora australis (south), which could help confirm the state of atmospheric condition.
Note: the 2 attached images may help visualize the phenomenom
So, if it happens again, please make a note of the data as described above, and then if it is night time, observe the sky outside to verify the atmospheric conditions around you. Do not venture outside during sunlight hours since the amount of gamma radiation resulting from a solar flare may be harmful over long durations; this is not true at night.
If you can document at least 3 separate incidents, you may be able to demonstrate that this has affected your CRT in a way that has pushed the electron beam into a corner of the screen, such as a lower corner.
This is only a theory, but careful notes on your part could be very helpful in resolving this issue. As you have said, the situation is a bit odd, but the science behind it is sound.
Also, unless you have a grounded electrical plug (3 way) for your monitor, reversing its polarity will either move the "dead spot" on your screen to another corner, or may resolve it all together. Please let us know what happens.

Attachments

• Picture 2.pdf
    35 KB · Views: 84
  • Picture 3.pdf
    26.2 KB · Views: 69

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
MacRAND said:
According to some of Tesla's theories regarding electromagnetic disturbances, the cursor behavior you describe could very well be explained by physical science.
I'd be interested to know if you are using a CRT monitor (like a TV), of if you have this problem of the cursor disappearing on an LCD. Also, whether the incidents are more common during the day or at night. Marking down the time, date, duration and time period since startup or reboot would be helpful.
According to Tesla, such occurances are more common above the 42nd parallel (in declination of latitude from the equator), closer to either the North or South poles. While it would be difficult for laymen like us to determine if there is any unusual solar activity (sun spots, solar wind, or solar flares) directly affecting you, the presence of electromagnetically charged particles in the atmosphere can sometimes be visually identified in the night sky as either the the aurora borealis (north) or aurora australis (south), which could help confirm the state of atmospheric condition.
Note: the 2 attached images may help visualize the phenomenom
So, if it happens again, please make a note of the data as described above, and then if it is night time, observe the sky outside to verify the atmospheric conditions around you. Do not venture outside during sunlight hours since the amount of gamma radiation resulting from a solar flare may be harmful over long durations; this is not true at night.
If you can document at least 3 separate incidents, you may be able to demonstrate that this has affected your CRT in a way that has pushed the electron beam into a corner of the screen, such as a lower corner.
This is only a theory, but careful notes on your part could be very helpful in resolving this issue. As you have said, the situation is a bit odd, but the science behind it is sound.
Also, unless you have a grounded electrical plug (3 way) for your monitor, reversing its polarity will either move the "dead spot" on your screen to another corner, or may resolve it all together. Please let us know what happens.

I use this crt @ 1920x1440/thousands/60Hz : http://viewsonic.com/products/crt_p95fplusb.htm

it is still happening a little. still in the same bottom left corner. every time it happens it is always the same. in the affected area the mouse will move but not click. usually a click to the dt and back to app works and if not a relogin or reboot always works. the odd time though clicking on the dt and back does not work and I must relogin to get rid of it but the affected area is so small and way down in the corner so as I have said the problem is not a big issue just very very odd. the time it takes from relogin till it happens again varies all the time. could be 20 min. could be 4 hours or more. I have emailed logitech about it and am awaiting their reply.

I will let you know what they say asap.

quite a well worded post you made I must say :)

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
blue&whiteman said:
I use this CRT @ 1920x1440/thousands/60Hz : http://viewsonic.com/products/crt_p95fplusb.htm
It is still happening a little. ...
I have emailed logitech about it and am awaiting their reply.
Quite a well worded post you made I must say :)
Thanks, sorry to hear about your continued problems. :(
Have you tried rotating the CRT plug to reverse polarity? Just do NOT override the ground if it is 3-prong. The ViewSonic 19" is an awesome CRT at under $300.
IMG_p95fb_med.jpg

I paid about double that two years ago for an IBM 19" - the screen is so bright, at night I have to pull the window shades and close the drapes to keep from violating local Light Polution ordinances. :)

Have you considered feeding the Logitech Mouse some extra cheese ;)
Seriously, have you tried an Apple Mouse or some other brand to see if the same thing happens? If it does NOT, then you know the problem is Logitech hardware specific and not your ViewSonic CRT. Otherwise, you'll need to keep data on your experience until it is resolved.

By the way, where is Hamilton?

Attachments

• hdr_monitors_crt.gif
    hdr_monitors_crt.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 82

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
I no longer have the original mouse that came with the b&w. it stopped working long ago so I got an apple optical pro mouse and broke it within 8 month then I bought this marble mouse. my point is that I have no other mouse to try. I tried the plug idea even though it seemed unlikely and nothing changed. I have even tried the mouse in every usb port I have and still the same result. I will have to borrow a usb mouse.

to answer your question, Hamilton is about a 30 min. drive south of Toronto

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Hamilton, CAN

blue&whiteman said:
I tried the plug idea even though it seemed unlikely and nothing changed. I have even tried the mouse in every usb port I have and still the same result. I will have to borrow a usb mouse.
...to answer your question, Hamilton is about a 30 min. drive south of Toronto
It's sunny and warm in Phoenix, AZ today, 65°F 18°C currently and warming up, after having rained nicely yesterday.
Must be beautiful and very green around Hamilton (unlike Phoenix), and your temp is not too bad 56°F 13°C, cloudy with rain?
I'm looking at a weather satellite picture from the U.S. National Weather Service.
MaxT1_conus.png

Though this is herasy :( to a faithful Logitech person, if you have trouble "borrowing" a mouse, just TRY (buy / return) a black Kennsington ExpertMouse™ trackball with scroll ring. It comes USB or wireless, and includes a wrist support that I find to be very important for comfortable use.
K64329W.jpg
126.gif

You may like it enough to not return it. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.