Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tainter

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
I have tried several ways to burn some avi's so they would play on my dvd player ,but no luck so far. the biggest problem is that the sound is out of sync with the movie . any suggestions ?
Thanks

Tainter

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
i tried idvd and handbreak , but nothing worked the sound still skipps ahead of the movie ..... Should i try mpeg 2 format ?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Burn also specifically supports doing this... it might be worth a try.

Although, if what you get is the same all the time, it really sounds like a common flaw where all the software is misreading this file in the same way. You might also try converting it to another format like an MPEG-4 video first (or an MPEG-2, I guess) and then trying it?

Tainter

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
I tried toast , still the same problem , thanks i try burn . The avi plays fine on my may book pro but when i burn it to dvd the sounds skips ahead, very strange indeed, thanks again i am trying it with burn right now...

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Now, you've just confused me

i tried idvd and handbreak , but nothing worked the sound still skipps ahead of the movie ..... Should i try mpeg 2 format ?

I don't think iDVD supports .avi files. And handbreak deffinitely do not output MPEG2 files (the ones that normal house DVD players can read, on VOB format).

I think you may be a little confused here. What do you really want to do?????

I first understood you had a set of video files with .avi extension on your computer; and you wanted these files burned to a .VOB DVD (MPEG2) to watch on your home DVD player. Is this correct?

If so, you need something to convert .avi to .VOB, then burn the resulting files to a DVD disc. If this is the case, neither iDVD nor HandBrake would serve you for nothing, and you shouldn't be having an "audio-video-syncing problem", you wouldn't be able to watch anything at all in a normal dvd player (hence, my question of your DVD player supporting other video formats).

Now, back to the point at hand. I've faced this situation before (wanting a "computer file" to play on my home DVD player), and VisualHub has always delivered the solution. Simply put your .avi files on it, select DVD output, select "burn when done" (do not forget to supply the computer a blank DVD), and click Start. That's it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.