Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warranty Voider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Maine, US
Hey guys. Last night, I removed my bootcamp partition, and then tried to create another one, but it gave me an error saying that I could partition my drive because it couldn't move some files. I looked up the problem and most people said that the only solution was to create an image of your drive, and reformat the dive, and then restore it from the image. The only problem is that when I try and restore using disk utility, it gets frozen a little under halfway through. (I am booted from the install dvd) Everything just completely freezes. Also, my external hard drive that has the image on it doesn't show that it is being used. Both the internal, and the external hard drives are idle.

What should I do?

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
If you have Parallels installed, try removing it along with the virtual machine. Apparently that helps but personally it never works. I seem to be having a lot of problems with disk utility and Boot Camp as well. In fact, I had to reinstall OS X and restore from a Time Machine backup in order to make a new partition in Boot Camp. What a pain in the ***.

Warranty Voider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Maine, US
I'm trying to restore it again only this time, I'v booted it up into target disk mode and am using my friend's mac. I'll post back later with the results (another 4 hours left :()

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Reimaging does not work (or it shouldn't) since you are copying block by block and therefore whatever was cluttering the drive before in the same space will still be in the same place [because that's what drive cloning does].

There are 3 ways:
1) Defrag your HDD
2) Delete/Move a lot of files off and repartition and then move things back
3) Time Machine restore

Warranty Voider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Maine, US
Reimaging does not work (or it shouldn't) since you are copying block by block and therefore whatever was cluttering the drive before in the same space will still be in the same place [because that's what drive cloning does].

There are 3 ways:
1) Defrag your HDD
2) Delete/Move a lot of files off and repartition and then move things back
3) Time Machine restore

Hmm... That's odd. I just created a new 80 gig partition using bootcamp (the same size that I tried before) I read somewhere (but I'm not sure if this is true or not) that if you click the checkbox that says "erase and restore" than it won't work, but just restoring will work.

I wonder why it froze when I tried restoring from the leopard install dvd, but yet it worked in target disk mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.