Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tarp07XLT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
Ok so I apologize if this is a stupid question. I know that when you use the red x to exit an application it is not the same as quitting the application. What is this all about? Should I use the red x or command q? Thanks for helping shed some light on this for a new mac user!

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
OS X is document based, not application based. You can close the last open document and still have the app open, which for things like Photoshop, Word, Excel, etc. is a good thing.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Use the Red X to close a document. Quit the program if you are running low on RAM.

This isn't a right/wrong question, its just how you do it. But be warned that running out of RAM will slow things down. So I recommend keeping Microsoft and Adobe programs be left open, and small utility programs get quit out.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
OS X is document based, not application based. You can close the last open document and still have the app open, which for things like Photoshop, Word, Excel, etc. is a good thing.

esp. Photoshop ;)

applications that only have one window e.g. iPhoto, System Preferences Toast, most of the Utilities will quit when the close window button is pressed.

Scorch07

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Yeah, not hitting Cmd-Q can full RAM up quick if you use a lot of different apps. Keep in mind though, when they say apps with one window, there's a difference between that and last window. iPhoto only has one window that would ever be open, but if you only have just one window of, say, Firefox or Safari open, closing it will still only close that window, you'll have to Cmd-Q to close the app.

lxuser

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
Use the Red X to close a document. Quit the program if you are running low on RAM.

This isn't a right/wrong question, its just how you do it. But be warned that running out of RAM will slow things down. So I recommend keeping Microsoft and Adobe programs be left open, and small utility programs get quit out.

That is backwards really...

Microsoft and Adobe programs use a huge amount of ram compared to small utility programs. If anything, you should be quitting the large programs and leaving the smaller programs running, if you are concerned about ram space running low.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I can't remember the last time I clicked the traffic lights.

Seriously, keyboard shortcuts! CMD+W to close that window, CMD+H to hide the application and CMD+Q to quit the application and CMD+M to minimise.

Forget the red close button. You'll understand it all if you use CMD+W and CMD+Q and you'll start to really rely upon those two commands all the time. And CMD+H is especially handy if you want to hide something on your screen that shouldn't be there if someone walks in ;)

bladehavoc

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008

Microsoft and Adobe programs use a huge amount of ram compared to small utility programs. If anything, you should be quitting the large programs and leaving the smaller programs running, if you are concerned about ram space running low.

I think the idea is so that if you decide to open a document or photoshop file, you don't have to go through the tedious wait for the application to initialize, etc. The application runs in the background, ready to open any file you throw at it without having to wait.

lxuser

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
I think the idea is so that if you decide to open a document or photoshop file, you don't have to go through the tedious wait for the application to initialize, etc. The application runs in the background, ready to open any file you throw at it without having to wait.

I understand that, and of course if I was doing extensive document or image editing I would leave photoshop / office apps running. But I wanted to point out for new users to mac that obviously for those who are ram conscious that leaving those sort of applications open will take up significantly more space than say SMC fan control or other utility type programs.

iwuzbord

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
New York City
I can't remember the last time I clicked the traffic lights.

Seriously, keyboard shortcuts! CMD+W to close that window, CMD+H to hide the application and CMD+Q to quit the application and CMD+M to minimize.

sometimes, in some apps, CMD+M wont minimize. like in photoshop. i wonder if adobe realized that.

but i personally keep frequently used apps open.
apps like itunes, mail and ichat.
but high ram apps like safari and photoshop, i keep open on a need-to-use basis.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
sometimes, in some apps, CMD+M wont minimize. like in photoshop. i wonder if adobe realized that.

I thought Apple addressed this in 10.5.6 - fixed issues with CMD+H and M not functioning as they should.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
I've gotten used to never pressing the red button. I either keep the applications open to avoid loading times and to make use of four finger expose swipe, or I CMD+Q to quit stuff if I need more ram.

Kevster89

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
I rarely to never use the "stoplight" buttons. I love the shortcuts that make Mac OS X so fun to use.

Command + Q (quit application)
Command + W (close window)
Command + M (occasionally) - Minimize

Keyboard shortcuts, once you have them down and start doing them out of habit, make using a Mac so much fun and one becomes so much more efficient when doing so.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

OS X is made to run a lot of apps in the background. The only apps that would potentially eat up all the RAM are apps dealing with large files (Photoshop, iMovie, etc) and that's really only while you're manipulating the files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.