Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Don't go looking for things. If you find them during use, that's that, but don't go looking for problems; you'll find them BECAUSE you are looking.

Agreed, for once I wish a potential buyer would come to these forums and ask "What good things should I look for or buy for my new Mac"? If all you care about is looking for bad, you will get bad.

SPECOPx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
So I guess there isn't any major defect on the MBP that's good. I guess I'll just use it normally and if it doesn't bother my normal use then I'm good to go. Thanks for the advice.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
So I guess there isn't any major defect on the MBP that's good.

I guess I'll just use it normally and if it doesn't bother my normal use then I'm good to go. Thanks for the advice.

Correct, nothing major. At any rate your second line is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Example: If someone on MR said "My new MBP has a hum sound to it". If they don't know it's normal then they will call it a "defect", then you'll think yours is defective. Then you'll start worrying and want to return it when there's no reason to.

Truthfully you didn't need to create this post, there's tons of freshly created posts of people saying one thing or another negative about their MBP.

If using it normally doesn't interrupt your workflow then you're good to go. You'll be much happier with your MBP if you limit your visits to MR forums. ;)

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
If using it normally doesn't interrupt your workflow then you're good to go. You'll be much happier with your MBP if you limit your visits to MR forums. ;)

lol. Ditto. I'm sure I could find something wrong with my new MB, but I'd rather just USE the thing and LOVE it.

LeonAnderson

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
MB(P) Rev A Checklist

MB(P) Rev A Checklist

After you open the packaging box of the new MB(P):
  1. Check the exterior finish for dents/imperfections/scratches
  2. Check the backside to see if the battery cover fits well
  3. Open up the screen and check the keyboard, make sure it is not crooked (especially the top row)
  4. Check the battery indicator light on the left side
  5. Check the glass cover on the screen for scratches/dents/imperfections
  6. Turn it on and check Airport Extreme by connect to the Internet
  7. Get the latest OS X update specifically for the unibody MBPs
  8. Check for dead pixels using this link here
  9. Check the trackpad clicks/gestures, as well as backlit keyboard
  10. Check the internal temperatures using iStat Pro
  11. Try switching GPUs and check internal temperatures using iStat Pro under both situations
  12. Insert the OS X recovery disc into the SuperDrive and check the disc.
  13. Insert a music CD into the SuperDrive and check for sound quality (any hissing or pops)
  14. Put the MBP to sleep, check the sleep indicator light and whether there are any complications (eg. laptop remains hot)
  15. Use it for a period of time and see if any of the above problems arise
  16. Make sure your dvd/cd goes in straight
  17. Make sure your screen doesn't flicker at different brightness levels
  18. Install a game and check to see whether your macbooks shuts itself or the screen off
  19. Check for any loose or missing screws along the bottom of the MacBook Pro, near the Hinge.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
MB(P) Rev A Checklist

After you open the packaging box of the new MB(P):
  1. Check the exterior finish for dents/imperfections/scratches
  2. Check the backside to see if the battery cover fits well
  3. Open up the screen and check the keyboard, make sure it is not crooked (especially the top row)
  4. Check the battery indicator light on the left side
  5. Check the glass cover on the screen for scratches/dents/imperfections
  6. Turn it on and check Airport Extreme by connect to the Internet
  7. Get the latest OS X update specifically for the unibody MBPs
  8. Check for dead pixels using this link here
  9. Check the trackpad clicks/gestures, as well as backlit keyboard
  10. Check the internal temperatures using iStat Pro
  11. Try switching GPUs and check internal temperatures using iStat Pro under both situations
  12. Insert the OS X recovery disc into the SuperDrive and check the disc.
  13. Insert a music CD into the SuperDrive and check for sound quality (any hissing or pops)
  14. Put the MBP to sleep, check the sleep indicator light and whether there are any complications (eg. laptop remains hot)
  15. Use it for a period of time and see if any of the above problems arise
  16. Make sure your dvd/cd goes in straight
  17. Make sure your screen doesn't flicker at different brightness levels
  18. Install a game and check to see whether your macbooks shuts itself or the screen off
  19. Check for any loose or missing screws along the bottom of the MacBook Pro, near the Hinge.

:eek:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Option A

MB(P) Rev A Checklist

<snip list of ridiculous things to do>

Option B

Turn your Mac on and enjoy it

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
oh also i heard theres a problem where they turn into long range chinese nuclear missiles as there were made in China so you need to check for that!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.