Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
This morning I clicked on a Google search link and was attacked by a popup, which itself is unusual. It did not allow me to cancel the dialog box. Clicking OK resulted in being send to another site, which immediately full-sized my Safari window to look like a Windows XP desktop, which then began "scanning" my computer for viruses, and popping up the "results," which you can see in the attachments. The most interesting things about this particular attack is that (1) Safari did not block it, and (2) the "scanning" seemed to be hosted on the server of a legitimate company (a plastics company in New Jersey), which presumably was hacked. The "websecurityworld.com" server is inaccessible. I haven't checked the registration yet.

Has anyone else seen this one?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    140.2 KB · Views: 142

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I'd recommend fixing that asap.
That kind of stuff has often happened to me in the past; all goes downhill from there.
Although, I was on Windows XP computer and I got a pop up giving me the message you got, then it forced to download "Spy doctor."

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'd recommend fixing that asap.
That kind of stuff has often happened to me in the past; all goes downhill from there.
Although, I was on Windows XP computer and I got a pop up giving me the message you got, then it forced to download "Spy doctor."

Fix what? I don't see how this can harm a Mac.

Did it give you any cool presents in your downloads folder?

Not that I can find.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Well, find out if it did anything and make sure it doesn't happen again.

It couldn't really do anything on a Mac unless I authorized it with an administrative password, and AFAIK there's no way to prevent it from happening again, unless I plan on never clicking Google links.

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
I just had something similar, when I viewed a site that i've been on hundreds of times before. It kept redirecting me to various javascript alerts and redirections. Maybe the website itself is infected... if not I might need to change my sig.

Last week i've also been redirected straight from a google link. Odd, but more annoying than harmful I think.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Ugh. Great... I'm on a PC and something similar happened to me while using Safari.
All I did was search for "open office" on [some site] and this came up.

BTW, what I was doing wasn't illegal because Open Office has always been a free application.

EDIT: I didn't press "ignore this warning" or "go back," I just opened up the task manager ended Safari.

Attachments

• Malware.png
    Malware.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 119

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
I've seen something similar over the last few weeks... mostly after clicking on links to editorials from financial papers found on realclearpolitics.com.

It happened 2 or 3 times. All of a sudden a window (in Safari 3, Leopard) would "take over" and display some bs regarding security settings or scanning or some such. An obvious fake.

The annoying thing is that I couldn't get rid of it except to force quit Safari—all the menu options were greyed out and I couldn't access any other Safari windows.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I've seen something similar over the last few weeks... mostly after clicking on links to editorials from financial papers found on realclearpolitics.com.

It happened 2 or 3 times. All of a sudden a window (in Safari 3, Leopard) would "take over" and display some bs regarding security settings or scanning or some such. An obvious fake.

The annoying thing is that I couldn't get rid of it except to force quit Safari—all the menu options were greyed out and I couldn't access any other Safari windows.

Do you guys think this has something to do with Safari? I've noticed nobody saying this for FireFox, Opera, etc.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Do you guys think this has something to do with Safari? I've noticed nobody saying this for FireFox, Opera, etc.

Good question, but why would anyone go to this much trouble to target only Safari users, most of whom are running it on a Mac?

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
does it ultimately "recommend" you buy & download some product to deal with all these "security problems" it shows you?? or does it install something on your computer when you click on "remove"??

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
Ugh. Great... I'm on a PC and something similar happened to me while using Safari.
All I did was search for "open office" on [some site] and this came up.

BTW, what I was doing wasn't illegal because Open Office has always been a free application.

EDIT: I didn't press "ignore this warning" or "go back," I just opened up the task manager ended Safari.

Lol Mininova.. The page is safari's new blocker? Or am I missing something?

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Lol Mininova.. The page is safari's new blocker? Or am I missing something?

No, Lol.
I always used mininova and after awhile I went back and it wasn't blocked.
That thing where it says it's detecting a virus is obviously a virus itself.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
does it ultimately "recommend" you buy & download some product to deal with all these "security problems" it shows you?? or does it install something on your computer when you click on "remove"??

I don't know -- I didn't click on anything. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.