Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcelg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Hi there!

After over two years of following forum discussions, trends, product developments etc, I made the decision to switch to a Mac. I recently purchased a new 15" MBP and I am currently learning how to best use it, given its limitations.

One of the many tasks that I am still figuring out is how to copy a DVD onto my Mac and convert this copy to a file acceptable for an iPod. I have used MTR, Handbrake, DVD Ripper etc, but the result is actually three or four files (depending on the size of the movie). I would like to obtain only one file and not a set of files.

I will be grateful for your help in this respect.

My question, again is: how can I rip a DVD into only one file and not a number of 1Gb files. And if there is no such an option, what program would you recommend I use to join the resulting files.

Thank you all for your help!

M

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Install VLC player, FairMount and HandBreak. Theses are all free software.

Then, insert the DVD and run FairMount. FairMount will unmount the DVD and then remount it. It will be listed as one of your devices. Then run HandBreak with the destination folder being the VIDEO_TS folder that FairMount has mounted. You will need to choose the correct HandBreak settings. To do this, click on the Toggle Presets icon at the top right of the HandBreak window. A little window will "slide" out of the right side of the HandBreak window. Then choose the correct Apple version that you would like to create.

I find that if I copy the VIDEO_TS folder, from the DVD drive that FairMount has mounted, to the desktop and then convert from there, the process is a little faster. However, it still take a couple hours from start to finish.

I hope this makes sense!!

Cheers.

marcelg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Thank you very much, guys, for your help. I have just run Fairmount and I am currently watching Handbrake run through it's one hour process.

I will post the outcome.

I suppose, if the result is one file which can be imported in iTunes, we will consider this as success!

Thank you once again for your advice!

M

PS: crossing my thumbs that when I get up in the morning, it will all have been done!

marcelg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Well, I used Fairmount to mount \ unmount the DVD; copied the Video_TS file to my Desktop and tried to use Handbrake to do its magic on this file (full of video files).

However, Handbrake didn't recognize this folder as a source.

Any suggestions?

Thank you all for your help!

M

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Are you pointing HB at the disc itself or the Video_TS folder, as I believe it needs to be pointed at the folder containing the Video_TS folder, e.g. the disc/desktop.

marcelg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
I tried both, and it says that it the source is not valid. It is the same with the copied Video_TS folder I copied through FairMount.

Hmm! Something is not working here!

M

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.