PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on first macbook purchase.

lase
Dec 26, 2008, 08:41 PM
Okay, so I'm considering buying a macbook as a getaway from my windows based development environment. I'd need to run basically some music recording programs, and xcode as well as a decent PHP IDE. Can I find all of this in a macbook or should I get a iMac or Mac Mini or MBP or MBA? This would be my first mac purchase. I've used a Hackintosh before so I do know how to actually use the operating system its self.

Also, I don't really have a budget set. So right now, anything goes in terms of price (just don't be ridiculous saying I need a $27,000 mac pro, etc)

aethelbert
Dec 26, 2008, 08:42 PM
You should be fine with all of that regardless of which one you choose.

lase
Dec 26, 2008, 08:44 PM
Any specific processor speeds I should get or how much ram? 2gb okay?

mbleopard
Dec 26, 2008, 08:45 PM

I dont know how intense these programs of yours are, but I have the 2.4GHz with 2 GB ram and it runs everything with no problem

aethelbert
Dec 26, 2008, 08:49 PM
Anything on the market right now should be alright. Of course, an octocore mac pro will out perform a mini, but you should be alright with whatever you choose. Although many on here will swear that you need 4GB of RAM to make your computer boot, 2gb should be more than enough for you.

lase
Dec 26, 2008, 08:51 PM
Thank you for the help! I'm gonna review them a bit more and see which one makes more sense to get and purchase it within the next few months.