PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Begins Selling $99 (Refurbished) iPhone

MacRumors
Dec 26, 2008, 08:53 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/12/26/atandt-begins-selling-99-refurbished-iphone/)

Several readers have noted that AT&T has started selling (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/refurb-phones.jsp) refurbished iPhone 3Gs as low as $99.

While AT&T has intermittently offered refurbished iPhones in the past, the $99 price point is noteworthy given the recent rumors that Apple was to introduce a $99 model. Apple's current iPhone starts at $199 for the 8GB model and $299 for the 16GB. The refurbished models have been discounted $100 to $99 and $199, respectively.

Analysts believed that dropping the starting price of the iPhone to $99 could double or triple (http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/10/27/needham.on.99.iphone/) projected sales.

Article Link: AT&T Begins Selling $99 (Refurbished) iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/12/26/atandt-begins-selling-99-refurbished-iphone/)

Sirobin
Dec 26, 2008, 09:00 PM
Wow, that's amazingly cheap.

Desamell
Dec 26, 2008, 09:04 PM
Can you buy thoses like the Full price 199 dollar one when ur still in contract with ATT??
2nd!

Chundles
Dec 26, 2008, 09:06 PM
A $100 price drop on the upfront cost is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost.

If AT&T wants to sell more iPhones they could stand to drop the contract rates a fraction.

gguerini
Dec 26, 2008, 09:06 PM
Can you buy thoses like the Full price 199 dollar one when ur still in contract with ATT??
2nd!

Good question. Do I still need a contract?

O. Frabjous-Dey
Dec 26, 2008, 09:08 PM
If you like having a 90-day warranty instead of a 1-year warranty on a device that commonly has problems after a few months of usage (I'm on my third), go for it.

Bentov
Dec 26, 2008, 09:09 PM
I believe this is for new activations only....

Diode
A $100 price drop on the upfront cost is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost.

If AT&T wants to sell more iPhones they could stand to drop the contract rates a fraction.

Their rates are cheaper then verizon .....

Don't try to compare AT&T with either Sprint or t-mobile in the US please. Coverage is not close to the same as t-mobile and I can't stand when people point to the sprint employee referral.

Yes Sprint is cheaper with the "referral" but first you've got to know about it ... which your average customer does not. Second a savy AT&T person can build a compatible plan using rate codes found across the internet.

I'm happily paying around 68/month (After taxes and discounts) for 650 anytime (only 450 roll over), 5000 N&W, 1500 text messages and unlimited data. Not sprint or t-mobile prices but pretty damn good in my books.

MacFan782040
Does anybody know:

Can I sign up for the a calling plan, say the 450 minutes one, and then if I realize by checking up online I am coming close to going over my minutes, can I upgrade to the next 900 minute plan? WIll this extend my contract or anything?

Diode
Dec 26, 2008, 09:14 PM
Does anybody know:

Can I sign up for the a calling plan, say the 450 minutes one, and then if I realize by checking up online I am coming close to going over my minutes, can I upgrade to the next 900 minute plan? WIll this extend my contract or anything?

No that will not extend your contract. I know if you downgrade you lose rollover minutes but I'm not sure if there are any penalties for upgrading.

Luke1robb
Dec 26, 2008, 09:15 PM
Does anybody know:

With AT&T you can change monthly minutes at any point, its simply prorated for that month.

Also, to the question above, no, you cannot order one of these if you already have an iPhone, you must upgrade to this phone or make it your first with a 2 year contract.

mozadek
Dec 26, 2008, 09:16 PM
$99 refurbished iPhone and wal-mart is going to sell the iPhone...looks like there will be a lot more iPhone users. Elitist fan boys wont be pleased.

:apple:

UTclassof89
Dec 26, 2008, 09:16 PM
Does anybody know:

Upgrading a plan with AT&T does not extend the contract.

CocoaPuffs
Dec 26, 2008, 09:17 PM
I was expecting this move back on Black Friday.

FYI, it is $199 and $299 for those that aren't eligible for subsidized pricing.

charlituna
Dec 26, 2008, 09:19 PM
2nd!

you would most certainly have to activate with contract to get one.

Matthew Yohe
Dec 26, 2008, 09:21 PM
2nd!

Depends when you first got into your 2 year contract if you qualify. If you do, then it will just extend your contract out another 2 years.

charlituna
Dec 26, 2008, 09:21 PM

no joke. even just adding back in the free 200 text messages would be a step in the right direction.

igazza
Dec 26, 2008, 09:25 PM
This is good news more iphones means more money for developers.

Chundles
Dec 26, 2008, 09:26 PM
Their rates are cheaper then verizon .....

Don't try to compare AT&T with either Sprint or t-mobile in the US please. Coverage is not close to the same as t-mobile and I can't stand when people point to the sprint employee referral.

Yes Sprint is cheaper with the "referral" but first you've got to know about it ... which your average customer does not. Second a savy AT&T person can build a compatible plan using rate codes found across the internet.

I'm happily paying around 68/month (After taxes and discounts) for 650 anytime (only 450 roll over), 5000 N&W, 1500 text messages and unlimited data. Not sprint or t-mobile prices but pretty damn good in my books.

Firstly, where in my two line post did I make mention of any other US telecommunications company?

I did not compare the current plans to any other rival plan on other networks, I did not mention any employee referral system.

I did not say the plans were overpriced, I did not say the plans were poor value.

I did not mention coverage differences.

I said, that if AT&T wants to sell more iPhones they would be better served by lowering the plan prices a fraction than by knocking a relatively low price off the upfront cost.

Did you read my post at all before going off on that rant?

Matthew Yohe
Dec 26, 2008, 09:30 PM

Really? I just looked up a Blackberry Storm on verizon and you can get 450 minutes, unlimited data, and no messaging for 10 bucks cheaper through AT&T. (69.99 vs Verizon's 79.99)

arn
Dec 26, 2008, 09:31 PM
I said, that if AT&T wants to sell more iPhones they would be better served by lowering the plan prices a fraction than by knocking a relatively low price off the upfront cost.

Regardless, I think that your premise is wrong.

What will sell more iPhones for AT&T

- $99 starting price (vs $199)
- discounting $4.16 on a monthly phone bill over 2 years?

Despite the realities of the math, many people see upfront savings much more desirable than total cost of ownership savings.

arn

chadder007
Dec 26, 2008, 09:31 PM

Agreed. Thats what is holding me off on any of these smart phone types. The extra data plan isn't worth that much of a premium to me.

Matthew Yohe
Dec 26, 2008, 09:33 PM
Firstly, where in my two line post did I make mention of any other US telecommunications company?

I did not compare the current plans to any other rival plan on other networks, I did not mention any employee referral system.

I did not say the plans were overpriced, I did not say the plans were poor value.

So basically your original post had no more insight than just "If they make the plans cheaper, they will sell more."

Great, thanks for that.

Chundles
Dec 26, 2008, 09:36 PM
Really? I just looked up a Blackberry Storm on verizon and you can get 450 minutes, unlimited data, and no messaging for 10 bucks cheaper through AT&T. (69.99 vs Verizon's 79.99)

Again, I am not making comparisons.

Despite the realities of the math, many people see upfront savings much more desirable than total cost of ownership savings.

arn

I agree, most people will see an upfront $100 saving as more compelling. However I think that if they want a long-term sales increase rather than just a spike they could stand to drop the plans by $5 to $10 - it's not like they're hard up for cash...

And in current economic conditions, especially in the US where I gather things are much worse than they are here, people will need to be a little more financially savvy.

So basically your original post had no more insight than just "If they make the plans cheaper, they will sell more."

Great, thanks for that.

Yup, no more insight than that.

alana22
Dec 26, 2008, 09:39 PM
I'm guessing this means new iPhones are coming (obviously) ?

Matthew Yohe
Dec 26, 2008, 09:41 PM
Again, I am not making comparisons.

Unfortunately, for your argument, AT&T is making comparisons when making pricing decisions.

Mexbearpig
Dec 26, 2008, 09:42 PM
Can you get the refurbs be bought with no contract. How much would the cheapest one be. Posted on my iPod touch!

Mexbearpig
Dec 26, 2008, 09:45 PM
How much for no contract on the 8gb. If possible.

hauntedcity
Dec 26, 2008, 09:47 PM
If you like having a 90-day warranty instead of a 1-year warranty on a device that commonly has problems after a few months of usage (I'm on my third), go for it.

Does anyone know if AppleCare can be added to a refurbished phone? It's available for around $50 in many places, and that would extend warranty to 2 years, right? So, in the end, you spend $50 less than a new phone and get twice the warranty.

Doug

archer75
Dec 26, 2008, 10:03 PM
I don't care what the initial fee is. I'm not paying the monthly fees. It's quite expensive when I only use my cell for the wife to tell me what I need to get at the store.

mesmurized
Dec 26, 2008, 10:12 PM
Analysts believed that dropping the starting price of the iPhone to $99 could double or triple (http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/10/27/needham.on.99.iphone/) projected sales.Dropping the 2-yr AT&T contract requirements to 1-year, better yet zero ---- might get me interested. Maybe ;)

NuMystic
Dec 26, 2008, 10:16 PM
...a savy AT&T person can build a compatible plan using rate codes found across the internet.

...I'm happily paying around 68/month (After taxes and discounts) for 650 anytime (only 450 roll over), 5000 N&W, 1500 text messages and unlimited data. Not sprint or t-mobile prices but pretty damn good in my books.

A non-savvy non AT&T person here ready to take the plunge on a new iPhone (either this refurb, or possibly wait for what looks like an imminent new gen release).

Either way I would greatly appreciate guidance on where I can find the "rate codes" needed to get a comparable deal to what you outlined above.

Desamell
Dec 26, 2008, 10:18 PM
Dropping the 2-yr AT&T contract requirements to 1-year, better yet zero ---- might get me interested. Maybe ;)

Who does that?

Chundles
Dec 26, 2008, 10:22 PM
Who does that?

We can get iPhones on 1 year contracts and also as outright purchases on zero contract.

macadmiral
Dec 26, 2008, 10:27 PM
looks like that price doesnt work in the premiere store

aaroninoh
Dec 26, 2008, 10:30 PM

Why does sit say that a refurbished iPhone 3G comes with a warranty of "90 days or more?" What the heck does that mean is it or isn't it 90 days?

applemonkey
Dec 26, 2008, 10:34 PM
I dont see this price when i want to renew my contract. And yes i am eligible for an upgrade. Anybody know why this is?

QCassidy352
Dec 26, 2008, 10:38 PM

Um... how? I'm paying ~$66/month, all told, for 450 minutes/5000 N&W/200 text, and unlimited data - this on a 2G iphone. How on earth are you getting another 200 minutes, 1300 text, and 3G for essentially the same price? Please tell me, because if I can get that, I'm sure as hell buying an iphone 3G.

However I think that if they want a long-term sales increase rather than just a spike they could stand to drop the plans by $5 to $10 - it's not like they're hard up for cash...

Rightly or wrongly, I don't think that's going to make a big difference in most people's carrier decisions. $5 on a monthly bill does add up, but I can't see people choosing or not choosing a provider on that basis.

MasterNile
Dec 26, 2008, 10:45 PM
...this is kind of like saying "Apple has the Mac Mini in the refurbished store, it must mean they're going to be releasing new ones," No it just means the iPhones are not exactly new any more and they've gotten back so many broken ones that they might as well fix them up and sell them at a discount.

I don't care what the initial fee is. I'm not paying the monthly fees. It's quite expensive when I only use my cell for the wife to tell me what I need to get at the store.

Then you wouldn't ever need an iPhone, except as a toy, and you can buy better toys at the same up front price or cheaper without the monthly fee so I'm really not seeing your point here, you're not the market they're aiming at with the $99 price point.

alphaod
Dec 26, 2008, 10:51 PM
Good question. Do I still need a contract?

Definitely. If they force people who pay full price for the device to sign a contract, why wouldn't they force people who buy refurbished devices on contract to sign an extension?

I believe you can still buy AppleCare extension to 2-years on refurbished phones, so that's not too bad. Anyways, I think refurbished devices (especially from Apple) tend to have higher quality control since they have to pick the good parts to remanufacture the refurbished device. Many times new devices have untested parts that result in DOAs.

arn

This is the same model most printer manufacturers use and most consumers don't account for. Get a free printer and pay $20 for ink cartridges that print 100 pages.

2nd!

When did MR become Engadget? :p

This means that enough defective devices have been exchanged for them to make refurbished phones to sell. No other conclusions can be made.

A non-savvy non AT&T person here ready to take the plunge on a new iPhone (either this refurb, or possibly wait for what looks like an imminent new gen release).

Either way I would greatly appreciate guidance on where I can find the "rate codes" needed to get a comparable deal to what you outlined above.

You need a FAN account and then if you're lucky a CSR who hasn't been told not to add codes. You can find a list feature codes on the HoFo wiki.

Dropping the 2-yr AT&T contract requirements to 1-year, better yet zero ---- might get me interested. Maybe ;)

They even require people who bring their own devices to sign a contract [which is unheard of a fews ago], so again, unlikely.

Um... how? I'm paying ~$66/month, all told, for 450 minutes/5000 N&W/200 text, and unlimited data - this on a 2G iphone. How on earth are you getting another 200 minutes, 1300 text, and 3G for essentially the same price? Please tell me, because if I can get that, I'm sure as hell buying an iphone 3G.

A lot of discounts, haggling, and pleading.

twoodcc
Dec 26, 2008, 10:55 PM
wow, this sounds like a good deal. i'll have to start telling people that are in the market about this

archer75
Dec 26, 2008, 11:06 PM
Then you wouldn't ever need an iPhone, except as a toy, and you can buy better toys at the same up front price or cheaper without the monthly fee so I'm really not seeing your point here, you're not the market they're aiming at with the $99 price point.

My point is if the monthly fee were cheaper i'd get it.

I do have a cell phone even if I don't use it much. I also have a pocket PC and an ipod. Combining all of these things would be nice.

Desamell
Dec 26, 2008, 11:11 PM
We can get iPhones on 1 year contracts and also as outright purchases on zero contract.

Ya i know that. Apple is the only one who does that...
Everyone else has a huge retail price tag.
Apple has one flat out rate if you have a contract or not.

saturnino3
Dec 26, 2008, 11:26 PM
I was expecting this move back on Black Friday.

FYI, it is $199 and $299 for those that aren't eligible for subsidized pricing.

Cocoa,

Where did you see/hear about the $199/$299 pricing for those not eligible?

ThankS

Diode
Dec 26, 2008, 11:29 PM

Did you read my post at all before going off on that rant?

Sorry, thought you were a troll baiting and waiting for someone to mention "It's cheaper then verizon" and then point to lower plan prices at Sprint and /or T-Mobile. Look around the iphone forum ... it's full of similar 1-2 posts.

What makes it worse is they usually refer to deals that are hard to get / not common for the customer and my point was you can do the same with AT&T if you know how to look.

Apple already has "knocked" the price down a notch by allowing carriers to offer subsidy's. That is why Apple has sold millions .....

By offering a discounted refurb they are creating a form of price discrimination for more price sensitive customers. If they had lowered the original price for new phones they would just be hurting revenue.

Sehnsucht
Dec 26, 2008, 11:30 PM
:rolleyes: I'm waiting for the next iPhone that will have CMDA 1xEVDO capabilities (Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular). I know a guy who works for Verizon who says that the iPhone would compete with their VCast music store crap thingy. Who the hell wants to pay TWO BUCKS for their Verizon-phone only music downloads? I say nobody gives a rat's hind end about Verizon's stupid soon-to-be-made-obsolete-by-the-iPhone VCast garbage. All we want and care about are their ultra-dense coverage and AT&T-pwning data speed. ;) :D I have Verizon's LG enV2, and although it's a pretty good little phone in its own merit, it starts to look pretty pathetic when compared to the Jesus phone. :D lol

Maxington
Dec 26, 2008, 11:33 PM
At this price they should be able to move some more phones, but mostly to people who loose or break them I suppose.

Diode
Dec 26, 2008, 11:39 PM

Well your 100% right minus the pleading part. I just know how to ask nicely the first time ;)

Chundles
Dec 26, 2008, 11:45 PM

The one year contracts are with Optus and both Optus and Telstra sell the phone outright. Apple do not sell the iPhone directly in Australia but rather through 4 different carriers.

I don't see why AT&T couldn't do 12 month contracts.

wheezy
Dec 26, 2008, 11:55 PM
I'm eligible to upgrade and am 1 year into ownership of my 1st Gen iPhone (Dec 07) and my price on a refurb is $149 and $249 (16GB).

I really tire of the 'new customers get the best deal' crap that phone companies do. ATT in particular has NO long-term customer benefits.

mmm2009
Dec 27, 2008, 12:24 AM

And you can not buy applecare
90 days is it....................

macadmiral
Dec 27, 2008, 12:38 AM
And you can not buy applecare
90 days is it....................

not true

BTW
Dec 27, 2008, 12:41 AM

Yeah, no doubt. They may have to lower their rates when the Blackberry and Android phones pick-up the pace on the iPhone.

The next iPhone needs to widen the gap a bit but how is a mystery.

bretm
Dec 27, 2008, 12:52 AM

Great, thanks for that.

This whole thread is based on the idea "the iphone is cheaper now" - please discuss. What kind of amazing insight did you expect?

Surely
Dec 27, 2008, 12:54 AM
I'm eligible to upgrade and am 1 year into ownership of my 1st Gen iPhone (Dec 07) and my price on a refurb is $149 and $249 (16GB).

I really tire of the 'new customers get the best deal' crap that phone companies do. ATT in particular has NO long-term customer benefits.

At those prices, you may as well get a brand new one for $199 (8GB) or $299 (16GB) and then get the 1 year warranty.

I'm not happy with AT&T's policies either. My wife wants an iPhone, but because we opened our family account in February, she's not entitled to the $199 price for the 8GB. She would have to pay $399 for the 8GB iPhone. If she wants the $199 price, she would have to wait until October 2009.

This is what makes me angry:

Why does she have to pay the full price for the iPhone and then still pay the same $30/month fee as a new customer? If anything, she should have to pay the amount owing of the subsidy on the original crappy Samsung phone she got when she opened the account. That POS Samsung phone is not worth the $200 extra. Hell, she's not even using it (she's using an unlocked Sony Ericsson W810i I got for her last year).

She should have to pay the amount owing on the original subsidized phone she received when she signed her first 2-year contract in February, not the full price of the iPhone and the full subsidized monthly fee. If they're going to charge the full price for the phone, the monthly fee should be reduced accordingly. Or, she should be able to get the iPhone at $199 and then pay the regular, subsidized, $30/month fee. Not both.

Here's the kicker: I have the 1st gen iPhone that I got in February. I AM entitled to upgrading to the 3G at the $199/299 price points. If we wanted to, I can upgrade to the 3G and give her my 2G to use. But she wants a new phone, and I don't blame her. (Plus, I like having the 2G- I would hardly use 3G, and I like the $20/month including 200 texts plan I have).

AT&T is doing this for one reason: because they can and not enough people are raising ***** over it.

Surely
Dec 27, 2008, 12:55 AM
not true

Proof please?

sjo
Dec 27, 2008, 01:56 AM

arn

still, it's hard to see how for someone paying (or willing to pay) $70+/month for 24 months, a $100 reduction in upfront payment would make much difference.

yet 5 out of 10 posts on the front page are about "$99 iphone".

Shawn D
Dec 27, 2008, 01:57 AM
I think this is an awesome deal but does anyone know if its online only or if this deal can be had in the store? Also it says deal is good threw the 31st so anyone who's interested better get on it before they're sold out. ;)

Marx55
Dec 27, 2008, 02:48 AM
NOT true.

- That is NOT the price of the iPhone. It is much more because you need to sign a CONTRACT.

- The iPhone is LOCKED.

Mr. Giver '94
Dec 27, 2008, 02:50 AM
Odd that they have so many refurbs.... although I did replace mine 7 times :o for legit reasons though....

A $100 dollar difference is pretty significant....not sure I'd be willing to risk it though....

mbraase
Dec 27, 2008, 03:17 AM
NOT true.

- That is NOT the price of the iPhone. It is much more because you need to sign a CONTRACT.

- The iPhone is LOCKED.

Wow, really? The phone is Locked? This IS the price of the iPhone. The plan for the iPhone costs upwards of $70, but the iPhone (refurbished) costs $99. Hey, my new car costs $30K, but i'm not going around barking that that's not the price because I have to buy gas and oil and tires for it. The car costs $30K. The refurbished iPhone costs $99. Gas costs more money each month, but that's just a cost of owning the car. The plan costs money each month, but that's just the cost of owning an iPhone.

Guess what. If you don't like the cost of the plan, the solution is simple. DON'T BUY AN IPHONE!!! I'm sure there are plenty of other great phones out there that would be perfect for you! But I'm sure that you just like whining about the iPhone, so maybe I should just let you go ahead and cry about the plan. Sorry for being so insensitive by not letting you cry. I'll try to do better next time.

Other than that, I think that the $99 price is good. It let's Apple get rid of some of their refurbished iPhones, and since more people are buying them, then the market share goes up and interest goes up also.

But back to those who whine about the contractual requirements and the $70 approx. starter plans. If you don't like that price, or the contract requirement, then just do what I told Marx. Go and get yourself a different phone. There are plenty of great phones out there other than the iPhone. Get yourself a different phone and leave the iPhones to those of us who like the iPhone's features enough to pay for them. The iPhone isn't for everyone. The iPhone has certain features, and lacks certain features. If this doesn't please you, than it may not be the phone for you. Those of you who cry that you would buy one if it was cheaper, and that somehow Apple should pay attention to those who are demanding a cheaper iPhone, should take notice. Apple is selling a S**tload of iPhones without you. So, maybe they are doing something right. Maybe they don't need to lower the price to please you. I could just as easily tell Mercedes that they need to lower the price of their cars to around $30K and I would buy them. I would be stupid to say that, just as you are stupid for saying that Apple and ATT needs to lower the prices.

Sorry for my rant, but reading some of these posts sometimes gets a little irritating. People thinking that they know how to run Apple and ATT better than those running who are running them.

Peace Out, and here's to hoping for an announced 32GB iPhone at Macworld!!!:apple:

Nah, I don't think that you would be interested. The reason that the new iPhones cost only $199 and $299 is because AT&T has a 2-yr contract. If they dropped the contractual requirement, the iPhone would probably be over $600. Would you be interested? Nope! Probably not, because you would still need a plan for the phone features and if you didn't want the phone features, you would just buy an iPod Touch.

Guess what? AT&T dropping the contract requirements might get you interested? Then the iPhone isn't for you. Go get yourself some other phone and stop trolling this forum. PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Aren't you glad that I solved that for you!:D

AT&T is selling quite a few iPhones at the prices they have right now. Why in the hell would they need to lower the price? Are you an expert on supply and demand. If there is a high demand, then the responsible thing for Apple and AT&T to do is to raise the price. The only reason to lower the price is if the demand is low. The demand is still high on the iPhone right now, so there is no reason to lower the price on the phone or the plan.

There are still a lot of people who are willing to pay the upfront phone cost and the long-range plan cost. If you aren't willing to pay it than go buy a different phone and stop complaining about the upfront and long-range price of the iPhone. The iPhone isn't for everyone, and apparently it isn't for you either

Delta-NC
Dec 27, 2008, 04:34 AM
Apple NEED to do this in Europe. They are shooting themselves in the foot here.

I went in to an O2 and a Carphone Warehouse on boxing day with the full intention of going home with a contract iPhone. I tried to haggle in a discount but nether store was willing to offer so much as a free case to convince me. They claim it is an Apple policy. Whats more they seemed to have no interest in actually trying to sell me one anyway.

Makes me wonder if they know something we dont. They can't get rid of iPhones and they don't even seem to want to!

So I sit here with money and no iPhone. Anyone selling?

Chundles
Dec 27, 2008, 05:02 AM
AT&T is selling quite a few iPhones at the prices they have right now. Why in the hell would they need to lower the price? Are you an expert on supply and demand. If there is a high demand, then the responsible thing for Apple and AT&T to do is to raise the price. The only reason to lower the price is if the demand is low. The demand is still high on the iPhone right now, so there is no reason to lower the price on the phone or the plan.

There are still a lot of people who are willing to pay the upfront phone cost and the long-range plan cost. If you aren't willing to pay it than go buy a different phone and stop complaining about the upfront and long-range price of the iPhone. The iPhone isn't for everyone, and apparently it isn't for you either

I have an iPhone, I love it. At no time did I EVER complain about the price. I never said it was expensive, I never said it was worse than a competitor's plans or phone.

People are reading waaaay too much into this.

I said they would sell more if the plans were cheaper. Anyone want to argue that?

Bloody hell, I never thought a two line post stating the bleeding obvious would blow up into such a mess. I also never thought I'd see a whole thread packed with people arguing FOR the status quo.

hazza.jockel
Dec 27, 2008, 06:18 AM
Why does sit say that a refurbished iPhone 3G comes with a warranty of "90 days or more?" What the heck does that mean is it or isn't it 90 days?

Im not sure if it applies to this but usually when u send in your ipod or iphone into get fixed they give u a 90 day warranty but if there is still some of your original warranty that is more then 90 days u keep that rather then the 90 day one. so maybe if the phone u buy ($99 one) has an original warranty of more then 90 days you'll keep that. Not sure if i explained it very well.

sjo
Dec 27, 2008, 06:52 AM
Wow, really? The phone is Locked? This IS the price of the iPhone. The plan for the iPhone costs upwards of $70, but the iPhone (refurbished) costs $99.

no it's not. in places where you can buy an unlocked iphone, it costs about 500-600 ($700-850), so that's "the" price of the device.

in places where you can't buy an unlocked iphone and have to buy eg att contract with it, it just doesn't make any sense to talk about "iphone price" and "plan price", you can't separate the two. so you have iphone "service", that costs you about 1700 if you get the refurb device, instead 1800 for non-refurb. cool. let's all get one now.

Hey, my new car costs $30K, but i'm not going around barking that that's not the price because I have to buy gas and oil and tires for it. The car costs $30K. The refurbished iPhone costs $99. Gas costs more money each month, but that's just a cost of owning the car. The plan costs money each month, but that's just the cost of owning an iPhone.

well, you're not obliged to use apple/att gas stations to buy your gas, you can choose any road and you're not limited to apple/att toll roads. so your analogy sucks big time.

no wonder the economy is at the sorry state it is today when people have difficulties understanding the contracts they sign into.

xDYLANx
Dec 27, 2008, 07:59 AM
I think it is a good price point, BECAUSE the plan is so high. That being said, I'd still rather have an original iPhone. The plans are cheaper, you get more, and 3G isn't always necessary when there is Wi-Fi everywhere you go...idk just my opinion

gkarris
Dec 27, 2008, 08:06 AM
I can see how AT&T can do $99 instead of $149, as if those are returns, maybe they are from someone who already paid an activation fee and first month's service?

Ironic
Dec 27, 2008, 08:24 AM

I am thinking the same way maybe the iphone nano at 99.00?

brad.c
Dec 27, 2008, 08:43 AM
Bloody hell, I never thought a two line post stating the bleeding obvious would blow up into such a mess. I also never thought I'd see a whole thread packed with people arguing FOR the status quo.

Looks like it's not as obvious as you'd think.:rolleyes:

alexbates
Dec 27, 2008, 08:44 AM
Wait, so is the cancellation fee still $200. This is what I am thinking about doing: buying a reburbished iPhone at $99, canceling the service agreement, jailbreaking it, then putting my current AT&T sim card in it (which I am only paying $40 a month for). Is it possible to do this?

I will do anything for a cheap iPhone. Hopefully the iPhone Nano will have a service agreement for only $40.

gkarris
Dec 27, 2008, 09:11 AM
Wait, so is the cancellation fee still $200. This is what I am thinking about doing: buying a reburbished iPhone at $99, canceling the service agreement, jailbreaking it, then putting my current AT&T sim card in it (which I am only paying $40 a month for). Is it possible to do this?

I will do anything for a cheap iPhone. Hopefully the iPhone Nano will have a service agreement for only $40.

The ETF is $175, plus you have to pay the activation fee and first month of service for the phone...

QCassidy352
Dec 27, 2008, 09:16 AM

Well your 100% right minus the pleading part. I just know how to ask nicely the first time ;)

So... what are these discounts? And what, you ask them nicely if they'll charge you less than the published plan and they say yes? :confused:

iOrlando
Dec 27, 2008, 09:51 AM
cellphones have become a consumer staple...similar to food. Even if people lose their jobs, they will pay their cellphone bill before paying any other bill. Those people who dont have good financial sense and are in debt still pay their cellphone bill...i guess their social life is pretty important while their credit score is worthless. People will pay at&T monthly costs, pretty much whatever it is.

ThanatosId
Dec 27, 2008, 09:54 AM
I said they would sell more if the plans were cheaper. Anyone want to argue that?

Yes. This is really an argument that doesn't need to take place, but I'm sure that lowering the plan by 5-10$ would bring in a few more adopters. However...there are Millions of iPhone users out there that are already happily paying their monthly premium. If AT&T changed their plans, they would have to change it for all accounts. That makes absolutely no business sense. Not only does a $100 drop makes a larger impact on buyers (let's face it, no one takes the time to think that $5/mo works out to a larger saving over the 2/yr contract), but it's really the only logical marketing plan. Does anyone want to argue that?:rolleyes:

Kwill
Dec 27, 2008, 10:05 AM
Hmm. AT&T for $99 or Walmart for $197? :rolleyes:

dizzy13
Dec 27, 2008, 10:18 AM
$99 refurbished iPhone and wal-mart is going to sell the iPhone...looks like there will be a lot more iPhone users. Elitist fan boys wont be pleased.

:apple:

Unless those same fan boys own apple stock of course

gkarris
Dec 27, 2008, 10:20 AM
Unless those same fan boys own apple stock of course

Hey, I'm a big "fanboy" and would like to see EVERYONE with an iPhone... :eek:

btw, I'm on my cheap Acer laptop right now... :D

meagain
Dec 27, 2008, 10:26 AM
What's up with the page saying 'save an additional $50'????

Enigmafan420
Dec 27, 2008, 10:45 AM
I am not sure about the analysts predicting 2-3 times increase in sales if the phone was $99?

The original cost of hardware is NOTHING. A $100 decrease in the price clearly has little to do with the final cost of ownership.

If they REALLY want to sell a lot of iphones, AT$T should drop the data plan to $15 and add unlimited texting for $5.

THAT would sell some phones.

mr.steevo
Dec 27, 2008, 11:07 AM
Hi,

I really don't see value in a device that I have to pay $3600 CAN over a three year contract. Making the iPhone itself cheaper will not change my mind.

If Apple can get rid of contracts and charge me $20 a month, then I'll bite, otherwise I will happily stay phone-less. Nearing 2009 and still no cell phone of any sort for me.

s.

M-X
Dec 27, 2008, 11:18 AM
fyi not sure if this has been mentioned but it's now possible to get a refurb iphone on o2 (8gb black) for free over the phone ;)

http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=74768&sid=0d5730afe7f7081048191908d11501a8

edit: other successful reports of this suggest its only for existing o2 customers due for an phone upgrade.

IJ Reilly
Dec 27, 2008, 11:34 AM
I have an iPhone, I love it. At no time did I EVER complain about the price. I never said it was expensive, I never said it was worse than a competitor's plans or phone.

FWIW, I agree with you entirely. No question Apple would sell more iPhones if the price was cut in half, just as they did when they cut the price in half the last time. For many potential customers though the resistance point is not the price of the phone, it's the price of the plans. Not everyone needs 450 minutes a month, let alone 5,000 minutes on nights and weekends for $80. Offer me a plan with 200 minutes a month for under $50.00, and I'm an iPhone buyer at $199. Don't offer me that plan, and I'm not an iPhone buyer if they gave it to me for free.

cheekybobcat
Dec 27, 2008, 12:11 PM
$99 is ridiculously cheap. Apple and AT&T should cut the montly rates down a tad and maybe that would help sales. Personally, I'd rather pay a little more once rather then more money each month. Either way, $99 for an iphone is a steal.

mbraase
Dec 27, 2008, 12:17 PM

So all you said is that they would sell more if the plans were cheaper? Well Duh!!! Anyone could have stated that, it's like someone saying that Apple would sell more iPod Touch's if they started out at $50 for the 8GB. Really? No ******!!! I'm sorry if maybe I read a little too much into this, but I didn't think that you would have put up a whole post just to "state the obvious.":confused:

IJ Reilly
Dec 27, 2008, 12:20 PM
So all you said is that they would sell more if the plans were cheaper? Well Duh!!! Anyone could have stated that, it's like someone saying that Apple would sell more iPod Touch's if they started out at $50 for the 8GB. Really? No ******!!! I'm sorry if maybe I read a little too much into this, but I didn't think that you would have put up a whole post just to "state the obvious.":confused:

Let me guess -- your first post on MR?

Yes, it is permitted to state the obvious here, especially when this obvious point wasn't made in the article on which this thread is based.

mbraase
Dec 27, 2008, 12:30 PM
well, you're not obliged to use apple/att gas stations to buy your gas, you can choose any road and you're not limited to apple/att toll roads. so your analogy sucks big time.

no wonder the economy is at the sorry state it is today when people have difficulties understanding the contracts they sign into.

Well excuse me for not finding a "PERFECT" analogy. I was kinda going for the thought behind it rather than "Hey look at this analogy. It fits perfectly with the Apple/AT&T iPhone price and plan cost"

But here's something else. Yes, you are obliged to use apple/att gas stations (crappy analogy again-oh well), but if you don't like it then go and get some other phone that doesn't require the data plan. The iPhone uses data for many it's apps and it's voicemail so a data plan is required. The iPhone is 3G so the 3G plan is required. The iPhone is sold cheap (well cheaper than it would be without the plan) because it has a 2 yr. contract in which AT&T can recoup the subsidized cost of the iPhone. If you don't like it (required data plan, 3G plan, and 2 yr. contract) than I've said it before........GO AND BUY A DIFFERENT PHONE!!! If you want the iPhone, than pay the price, if you don't want to pay the price, than stop complaining. Uh Oh, another crappy analogy coming...If I want a Mercedes, I need to pay the cost of a Mercedes (which is considerable) If I don't want a Mercedes than I need to settle for a car that I am willing to pay the price for. I'm not going around and telling Mercedes that they should cut the price of their cars because I don't want to pay that much

obilix
Dec 27, 2008, 12:33 PM
bump for this answer

I spoke with four different departments ending with the Retentions Dept.

The long and short of it: This offer is ONLY for new customers.
This policy is controlled by Apple. Even the CLN(??) dept can not price match the iPhone, again, this is controlled by Apple.

I spoke with the lady with the Retentions dept complaining that the web page is misleading as the offer does show up for existing customers if they login, and select the "Current Offers" button. Even when you search for the phone via the shop site selecting "Build Your Package", it took you to the zip code or Login page is misleading. She typed in my complaint and sent it to her manager as well as the web guys.

Update: just noticed that they changed their pages. They now say for new customers only. Wish they did that last night!!! :rolleyes:

Update x2: Seems that these changes are being rolled out right as I type: going from their normal page you see the changes, but not from your account page.

Well, that's that!

xStep
Dec 27, 2008, 12:48 PM
Analysts believed that dropping the starting price of the iPhone to $99 could double or triple (http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/10/27/needham.on.99.iphone/) projected sales.

So, is the failure and return rate of iPhones high enough to support a doubling of sales? Doubt it.

I don't think referring to an old price drop article is valid for this refurb article.

ChrisA
Dec 27, 2008, 12:54 PM
Wow, that's amazingly cheap.

Yes. I think finally now that the price has dropped to $2,500 from $2,600 I'll buy an iPhone. At $2,600 thay were just out of my reach but now that the down payment has dropped to only $99 it's time to buy.

I'm sure that most consumers think just like me and they will sell faster now

Seriously now, that $99 or $199 or whatever price really is a down payment and the loan for the balance is hidden inside the fee for the air time. That iPhone's real price is closer to the price of a notebook computer than most people think.

rhett7660
Dec 27, 2008, 01:03 PM
I wish they would start selling a new phone a little cheaper.

Shawn D
Dec 27, 2008, 01:22 PM
I must say i'm quite happy with my non 3g iPhone plan for the unlimited data and unlimited texting and 650 minutes for 62.00/month What more could you want? The 3g plan is just insanely high I don't think i'd ever go with a 3G phone

Airforcekid
Dec 27, 2008, 01:39 PM
2nd!

:apple:$399:apple:

Airforcekid
Dec 27, 2008, 01:41 PM
I must say i'm quite happy with my non 3g iPhone plan for the unlimited data and unlimited texting and 650 minutes for 62.00/month What more could you want? The 3g plan is just insanely high I don't think i'd ever go with a 3G phone

:apple:I have the same for $72.00 a month and the speed is crazy compared to a 2nd gen I do miss the Aluminum back though!:apple:

kmc0929
Dec 27, 2008, 01:44 PM
is it at all possible to buy the 99 dollar iphone, or even a new one, and bypass the contract, whether it be canceling it later or what. On another note, does this forum have some sort of classifieds where you could find a older generation iphone for sale? Thanks in advance

SleepyHead157
Dec 27, 2008, 02:19 PM
new phones seem to be in the works considering the refurbished phones and iphone sales at wal-mart

iPegboy
Dec 27, 2008, 02:24 PM
For what it's worth, I bought the first gen. iphone from AT&T refurbed. It came with a 1 year warranty that I extended with Applecare. It has been top notch and I've had no problems after nearly a years worth of use.

Yoyodyne2
Dec 27, 2008, 02:43 PM
at&t says they are no longer available.

Several readers have noted that AT&T has started selling (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/refurb-phones.jsp) refurbished iPhone 3Gs as low as $99.

mpshay
Dec 27, 2008, 02:57 PM
What's up with the page saying 'save an additional $50'????

I tried to use the online chat system to get an answer on that last night and ATT just kept telling me that was already included in the listed prices. I restated the question a couple times...explaining that it was a $100 off the non-refurb price so the $50 must be referring to something else, but never got a good answer...

sjo
Dec 27, 2008, 03:15 PM
Well excuse me for not finding a "PERFECT" analogy. I was kinda going for the thought behind it rather than "Hey look at this analogy. It fits perfectly with the Apple/AT&T iPhone price and plan cost"

no need to get defensive. analogies are fine when they help to understand some complex issue. here the issue is not complex and analogy you chose is bad.

no analogy is better than bad analogy that only blurs the issue.

But here's something else. Yes, you are obliged to use apple/att gas stations (crappy analogy again-oh well), but if you don't like it then go and get some other phone that doesn't require the data plan. The iPhone uses data for many it's apps and it's voicemail so a data plan is required. The iPhone is 3G so the 3G plan is required. The iPhone is sold cheap (well cheaper than it would be without the plan) because it has a 2 yr. contract in which AT&T can recoup the subsidized cost of the iPhone. If you don't like it (required data plan, 3G plan, and 2 yr. contract) than I've said it before........GO AND BUY A DIFFERENT PHONE!!! If you want the iPhone, than pay the price, if you don't want to pay the price, than stop complaining. Uh Oh, another crappy analogy coming...If I want a Mercedes, I need to pay the cost of a Mercedes (which is considerable) If I don't want a Mercedes than I need to settle for a car that I am willing to pay the price for. I'm not going around and telling Mercedes that they should cut the price of their cars because I don't want to pay that much

no need to get defensive here either. of course consumers are free to choose to buy iphone under terms offered by apple/att or not to buy.

the thing you managed to miss completely was my point : in the us, you can't by iphone without a contract, so you cannot separate the price of the device and the price of the plan and claiming that $199 (or $99) is the price of the device just does not make any sense.

everyone with half a brain understands that when a device is sold for $199 ($99) with a mandatory subscription in one market and for $700 without subscription in another market, part of the cost of the device is undoubtedly "hidden" in the subscription.

claiming $199 (or $99) cost of device is misleading, plain and simple. it's sad that the media and blogs feed this kind of marketing.

the bottom line of this story is: att lowered the cost of the iphone experience from $1900 to $1800. whoopie doo.

coasterswim
Dec 27, 2008, 03:24 PM
Yes. I think finally now that the price has dropped to $2,500 from $2,600 I'll buy an iPhone. At $2,600 thay were just out of my reach but now that the down payment has dropped to only $99 it's time to buy.Then where do you draw the line? $2,400 and you'd buy? $2,000? $1,500? It's different for each person and maybe this is just enough to get them to buy.

mmm2009
Dec 27, 2008, 03:25 PM
Does anyone know if AppleCare can be added to a refurbished phone? It's available for around $50 in many places, and that would extend warranty to 2 years, right? So, in the end, you spend $50 less than a new phone and get twice the warranty.

Doug

90 is it can not get applecare......

ratattak
Dec 27, 2008, 03:47 PM
all of us early adopters should make a huge stink of this and DEMAND $100 or 200 back from apple!

heh.

ratattak
Dec 27, 2008, 03:58 PM

after being with ATT for 8-10yrs (im not sure exactly how long), I completely agree.

sk8ordie
Dec 27, 2008, 05:29 PM
I tried to buy two (one for me and one for my girl friend) but it wouldnt let me :(

Ironic
Dec 27, 2008, 06:21 PM

youbetch, I have a unlocked one on t mobile and it cheap and good:)

pagansoul
Dec 27, 2008, 07:03 PM
I purchased my phone on the night it came out. When my 2 years are up with ATT I will leave them, jailbreak my phone and go to whom ever I find gives me what I need, which isn't much. All I need is a phone, ipod, surf the net and use my apps. I do not text. I don't even use the phone much. I always use the ipod side or the apps. I think ATT knows they will loose a few people at the 2 year mark and will be thinking of ways to either get them back or keep them. I forsee a lot of interesting plans coming this summer. My advice is don't get youself tied up to anyone in 2009 till the smoke clears.

powers74
Dec 27, 2008, 07:05 PM

after being with ATT for 8-10yrs (im not sure exactly how long), I completely agree.

This is absolutely the worst thing about media companies. From Wireless companies to Cable. You would think one of these giants would figure out what a loyal customer base they could build by offering their longtime patrons the latest tech, best plans and reducing their bill by a couple % every year they stayed on. Contracts would become a thing of the past. After all it costs far more to hook a new customer than it does to keep an existing one. It only stands to reason that they would "pass the savings on", yet they don't. Then they wind up losing their best customers to the other guy with the new, better deal, and have to turn around and find a replacement. It's totally effed up.

SnowLeopard2008
Dec 27, 2008, 08:09 PM
all of us early adopters should make a huge stink of this and DEMAND $100 or 200 back from apple!

heh.

these are refurbished. AT&T also said that some iPhones may have minor scratches. it's not like last year when Apple lowered the price of the iPhone (non-3G) 100 bucks for a brand new one. Refurbished stuff is always cheaper. Live with it.

way2l84sanity
Dec 27, 2008, 09:44 PM
I called ATT because the discount wasn't showing up for me after I signed into my account. I have been a customer of ATT for years. The representative I spoke with credited my account $50 because she couldn't understand why I couldn't get it since I had an equipment upgrade available. She then redirected me to an Apple phone number where the representative I spoke with at Apple assured me that my standard Apple warranty would start the day I register my iphone, refurbished or not, and that I can purchase Apple Care if I want to. I took down her name just in case. The transaction seemed pretty smooth although at first it seemed like no one was sure about the warranty situation. The Apple number I was transferred to is ( 1-800-694-7466 ). They gave me the number in case we got disconnected. Hope this helps anyone else who may have questions about this.

applemonkey
Dec 27, 2008, 10:22 PM
I called ATT because the discount wasn't showing up for me after I signed into my account. I have been a customer of ATT for years. The representative I spoke with credited my account $50 because she couldn't understand why I couldn't get it since I had an equipment upgrade available. She then redirected me to an Apple phone number where the representative I spoke with at Apple assured me that my standard Apple warranty would start the day I register my iphone, refurbished or not, and that I can purchase Apple Care if I want to. I took down her name just in case. The transaction seemed pretty smooth although at first it seemed like no one was sure about the warranty situation. The Apple number I was transferred to is ( 1-800-694-7466 ). They gave me the number in case we got disconnected. Hope this helps anyone else who may have questions about this.

you got it for 99 dollars? And all you did was upgrade/renew your contract? Are you sure you did not get the 150 dollar iphone?

illegallydead
Dec 27, 2008, 11:38 PM
:rolleyes: I'm waiting for the next iPhone that will have CMDA 1xEVDO capabilities (Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular). I know a guy who works for Verizon who says that the iPhone would compete with their VCast music store crap thingy. Who the hell wants to pay TWO BUCKS for their Verizon-phone only music downloads? I say nobody gives a rat's hind end about Verizon's stupid soon-to-be-made-obsolete-by-the-iPhone VCast garbage. All we want and care about are their ultra-dense coverage and AT&T-pwning data speed. ;) :D

Nice rant about something totally unrelated.
Also, Apple re-uped their exclusivity contract with AT&T when the 3G came out, until 2010 I believe. So don't expect a Verizon iPhone anytime soon.

I have Verizon's LG enV2, and although it's a pretty good little phone in its own merit, it starts to look pretty pathetic when compared to the Jesus phone. :D lol

And the "Jesus phone" looks entirely craptastic compared to something you can find in Japan. The iPhones capabilities are ancient comparatively (but they look nice to us here in the U.S., not to mention it has that little :apple: stamped on the back :D)

fohawk17
Dec 27, 2008, 11:52 PM
i agree with the talks about long term customers getting ripped off, but in this case the phones are refirbs.

but also think about the fact that they are still iphones, and sill be just as functional, and if the scratches are on the body you can just buy a rubber case and be done with them

charlituna
Dec 28, 2008, 01:45 AM

not true. if you buy at Apple it is with a contract. and there are two prices for each model. one if ATT will subsidize, more of they won't. and Apple will not override ATT's call on that issue.

if you want no contract, that's for ATT to grant and sell. and you can bet it will still be with activation and with no subsidies so that's at least $399/499 if not more (probably more)

charlituna
Dec 28, 2008, 01:47 AM

heh.

for what. you got an unopened phone. these are not unopened. they were opened and even used for up to 30 days. that's why the extra money off.

not to mention that apparently you would lose 9 months of the warranty that comes with that unopened box. which seems a tad wrong to me but I guess ATT gets to make that rule, not Apple.

charlituna
Dec 28, 2008, 01:53 AM
I spoke with four different departments ending with the Retentions Dept.

The long and short of it: This offer is ONLY for new customers.

not sure who you are talking about cause here in the US the final price to the customer is determined by ATT's rules. and those rules are that they will pay $200 of the cost (leaving you with $199/299 plus all sales tax) for new accounts and accounts eligible for an upgrade in good standing (ie if you owe them money forget it).

obilix
Dec 28, 2008, 02:04 AM
not sure who you are talking about cause here in the US the final price to the customer is determined by ATT's rules. and those rules are that they will pay $200 of the cost (leaving you with $199/299 plus all sales tax) for new accounts and accounts eligible for an upgrade in good standing (ie if you owe them money forget it).

I'm an existing AT&T customer and this is what the supervisors in each department told me (and I got bounced to basically all departments within AT&T):
I can not get the 99$ Refurb iPhone as an existing customer and
that they can not price match it either, due to agreements with Apple.

For all that I know, the left hand may not know what the right hand is doing.

Babybandit
Dec 28, 2008, 02:19 AM
I'm an existing AT&T customer and this is what the supervisors in each department told me (and I got bounced to basically all departments within AT&T):
I can not get the 99$ Refurb iPhone as an existing customer and
that they can not price match it either, due to agreements with Apple.

For all that I know, the left hand may not know what the right hand is doing.

That's BULL! Someone should start a petition and send it to AAPL/ATT. How can they neglect faithful users of their services?

mccldwll
Dec 28, 2008, 06:57 AM
1. No one knows how long the exclusive deal with AT&T lasts, or much else about it for that matter. It's not public knowledge.

2. As I understand it, you don't lose 9 months of warranty. AT&T's refurbs have a warranty that starts when the phone is first placed in service, which probably results in a 10 or 11 month warranty, but at least 6 months. The 90 days is a minimum for refurb gear.

The Samurai
Dec 28, 2008, 07:44 AM
Just to let those in the UK know, 02 have started selling refurbished phones.

More details can be found here (http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=74768&sid=0d5730afe7f7081048191908d11501a8) and here (http://hotukdeals.com/item/305241/02-reconditioned-iphone-3g-free-on-/).

Long story short - you get the handset free (refurbished) when going pay monthly.

joelw135
Dec 28, 2008, 08:39 AM
90 day warranty is crazy as these things break or go wacky in a few months.

Sirmausalot
Dec 28, 2008, 09:48 AM

Any major credit card (Mastercard is best) automatically doubles the warranty. If the battery goes on the iPhone, they will replace the phone for $79. I can't see Apple Care being worthwhile.

What about an iPhone Extreme. 32GB RAM, faster processor for $399? And some funky colors :-)

way2l84sanity
Dec 28, 2008, 10:00 AM
you got it for 99 dollars? And all you did was upgrade/renew your contract? Are you sure you did not get the 150 dollar iphone?

Let me just be clear. I wanted to buy the white 16gb iphone and the 50 dollar savings was not showing up. Which would have made the $249 phone $199. Since the $50 wasn't showing up, ATT credited my account $50 and I paid the whole $249 up front but still ended up with the same savings.

Enigmafan420
Dec 28, 2008, 10:21 AM

They Do?!? :confused:

Mine hasn't... :p

slu
Dec 28, 2008, 12:04 PM
They Do?!? :confused:

Mine hasn't... :p

Yeah for anecdotal evidence! I can play too!

Mine did need to be replaced in the first couple of months. So what is your point?

Fact is, I wouldn't touch this with a 90 day-ish warranty to save $100. Unless you also add AppleCare, it is not worth the risk to save $100. And AppleCare is $69. So you save $30 and get an extra year of warranty. Sounds OK if it is not a pain in the ass to order.

And this is coming from a guy that never buys AppleCare.

applemonkey
Dec 28, 2008, 01:37 PM
Let me just be clear. I wanted to buy the white 16gb iphone and the 50 dollar savings was not showing up. Which would have made the $249 phone $199. Since the $50 wasn't showing up, ATT credited my account $50 and I paid the whole $249 up front but still ended up with the same savings.

man how long idd it take you to get that deal....how did you go about asking att for that eal to credit your account?

Trajectory
Dec 28, 2008, 01:42 PM
It won't matter how much the price of the phone drops, it's the accompanying plan that is cost prohibitive for most people, and that will likely increase.

way2l84sanity
Dec 28, 2008, 02:20 PM
man how long idd it take you to get that deal....how did you go about asking att for that eal to credit your account?

I just called ATT (611 from my cell phone) and said, when I try to upgrade my phone to the iphone the $50 discount goes away when I sign in. The ATT rep. said well, I can't make it appear but I can credit your account the $50. No hassle at all.

ddTaylor
Dec 28, 2008, 04:19 PM
Looks like it's not as obvious as you'd think.:rolleyes:

On the contrary - it is VERY obvious what he said and what he meant. I cannot believe others are having such an issue with the comment. He is 100% correct and I agree with his comment regarding his assessment. If prices for something you use/want/need are lower, more people would be inclined to buy. Hard? No, easy - and basic economics. Thanks, though.

D

rtdunham
Dec 28, 2008, 05:03 PM
Yup, no more insight than that.

Chundles, i admire your tempered response to what i thought was an attempt at either rudeness or provocation. Are you a mediator in your other life? :)

brad.c
Dec 28, 2008, 05:08 PM
On the contrary - it is VERY obvious what he said and what he meant. I cannot believe others are having such an issue with the comment. He is 100% correct and I agree with his comment regarding his assessment. If prices for something you use/want/need are lower, more people would be inclined to buy. Hard? No, easy - and basic economics. Thanks, though.

D

I agree with Chundles original point, and his subsequent incredulity at the armchair economic insight that ensued. Does that clear it up?

Thanks, though. :)

queshy
Dec 28, 2008, 05:24 PM
iPhone nano now less likely...

M-X
Dec 28, 2008, 05:57 PM
fyi not sure if this has been mentioned but it's now possible to get a refurb iphone on o2 (8gb black) for free over the phone ;)

http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=74768&sid=0d5730afe7f7081048191908d11501a8

edit: other successful reports of this suggest its only for existing o2 customers due for an phone upgrade.

Just to let those in the UK know, 02 have started selling refurbished phones.

More details can be found here (http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=74768&sid=0d5730afe7f7081048191908d11501a8) and here (http://hotukdeals.com/item/305241/02-reconditioned-iphone-3g-free-on-/).

Long story short - you get the handset free (refurbished) when going pay monthly.

tru dat :cool:

rjflyn
Dec 28, 2008, 07:07 PM
Yeah for anecdotal evidence! I can play too!

Mine did need to be replaced in the first couple of months. So what is your point?

Fact is, I wouldn't touch this with a 90 day-ish warranty to save $100. Unless you also add AppleCare, it is not worth the risk to save $100. And AppleCare is $69. So you save $30 and get an extra year of warranty. Sounds OK if it is not a pain in the ass to order.

And this is coming from a guy that never buys AppleCare.

I would still save $100, refurb or new with the iPhone and the stories I have heard and as fickle as Apple and AT&T are being I wouldn't want to be without it. (AppleCare) You know be 19 months into a contract and have your phone die and have to pay who know what the price will be for what generation iPhone.

As far as the total cost of owner ship all the cell cos are screwing us. I have had a phone for sometime. Common sense says better tech and widespread use should drive the cost down. The opposite is happening. My bill has never bill higher.

chewbaccacabra
Dec 28, 2008, 09:26 PM

Seems so. I'm curious if the iphone nano comes out, will it be exclusive to AT&T?

Shawn D
Dec 28, 2008, 11:20 PM
So I haven't kept up with this thread have they come back in stock recently? or is the page still long gone?

mccldwll
Dec 29, 2008, 07:10 AM
Any major credit card (Mastercard is best) automatically doubles the warranty. If the battery goes on the iPhone, they will replace the phone for $79. I can't see Apple Care being worthwhile.

That is far from true. Only certain cards have warranty doubling/protection programs. Carefully read the T&C. Assume nothing. And where/on what card did you see anything about replacing the phone for $79 if the battery goes?

charlituna
Dec 29, 2008, 07:47 AM
Nice rant about something totally unrelated.
Also, Apple re-uped their exclusivity contract with AT&T when the 3G came out, until 2010 I believe. So don't expect a Verizon iPhone anytime soon.

actually the contract isn't the issue in this case.

Verizon had a shot at this gig. They refused it. Rumor is that they refused to turn over final design approval to Apple -- They wanted the phone made the way they wanted. ATT gave Apple all control so long as it worked.

Also, there is not likely to be a CDMA iphone. It is a standard that is apparently not as dominate in the world market which is why Apple picked GSM over CDMA. They didn't want to have to bother with creating country by country phones which would be more costly.

charlituna
Dec 29, 2008, 07:52 AM
It won't matter how much the price of the phone drops, it's the accompanying plan that is cost prohibitive for most people, and that will likely increase.

or not.

there is a lot of talk around town, even on Capitol Hill, about price gouging in the cell phone market, especially over issues like SMS and data plans. Seems that someone called for a tech study that showed that the costs of such items is hardly what the companies want us to believe. Esp for SMS which costs them fractions of fractions of pennies to send a message and yet without a plan they are charging up to 25 cents a message.

so we may find in not so distant future that at the least SMS message plans go way down. Like unlimited for $5 as the only option, or even free if bundled with a data plan.

and then you have phones restricting you to wifi use for larger items like music file downloads etc. you aren't on the precious 3g network using up bandwidth and aren't allowed to be so usage isn't quite as 'unlimited' as they advertise. so their claims they need all that money cause of high bandwidth traffic might be a tad bogus.

charlituna
Dec 29, 2008, 07:54 AM
Seems so. I'm curious if the iphone nano comes out, will it be exclusive to AT&T?

IF there is ever an iphone nano and it is released before the contract with ATT ends, then yes, it will be exclusive to ATT. as evidenced by the fact that the 2nd generation iphone (ie, the 3g phone) was covered by the exclusivity within the contract. You can bet that the wording is such that all updated versions of the phone released during the contract period are covered, no matter their design etc.

charlituna
Dec 29, 2008, 07:58 AM
That is far from true. Only certain cards have warranty doubling/protection programs.

correct. some have the price protection, even if the store also adjusted the price, some have accidental damage/loss coverage, some have both, some have none.

And where/on what card did you see anything about replacing the phone for $79 if the battery goes?

I don't think that is on any card. I believe that is an Apple thing. if your ipod or iphone is out of warranty they will allow you to buy a service part phone (the new one they would have swapped you for under warranty) for a reduced price if the issue is the battery reaching end of life before a reasonable time. The price depends on the device I believe, but seem to all run between $80-100

charlituna
Dec 29, 2008, 08:23 AM

selling refurbs says nada about new items. it all says is that they don't want to toss working, current equipment into the landfills.

synth3tik
Dec 29, 2008, 01:51 PM

arn

I would agree. When I worked in the retail market I did a lot of would with setting up sales and discounted "packages". A large discount on one item drove more sales then a smaller discount that was spread over more products. For instance. When I worked at the music store, offering some one $100 off a mixer did more to drive sales then offering someone 50% off $300 worth of cables to go with it. People will always look at the immediate first, so getting a $100 off an iPhone would be better then a smaller monthly bill. Also your not paying your bill right away when you go to pick up the phone, so that savings would not be immediate, and the consumer would have to spread the savings over 2 years.

Shawn D
Dec 29, 2008, 02:29 PM
So then have these refurbs been back lately or what?

Moomba
Dec 29, 2008, 04:43 PM
There is a catch that is supposedly a "glitch" in the AT&T web store. Apparently, you can purchase a refurbished iPhone from their website for $149 (until 12/31/08 then it goes back to $199.) However, you can not upgrade to one (new or refurbished) if you are already an AT&T customer. I'm told the inability to upgrade to the refurbished device is a glitch in the store as when you go to select a phone the iPhone disappears and even if you do some manipulation of the URL to get it to show the refurbished iPhone (or even the new units) it will not give you the option to add it to the cart. However, after speaking to a rep they said if you want the additional discount simply call in before the promotion ends and they will note your account and when you are able to order an iPhone in a few days (supposedly) they can/will credit your account for the promotion.

icecold0913
Dec 29, 2008, 05:24 PM
Yeahhh... I just called AT&T and the person I spoke with informed me that corporate was telling them explicitly that the refurb iPhone is for new customers or customers adding a new line only. Existing customers looking to upgrade don't even have the option of purchasing a refurb period, much less at the discounted price. And the new iPhone isn't discounted, either, of course.

The website makes it seem otherwise though. Such horrible policy.

Anyone able to actually upgrade to a refurb for $100 less anyway?

applemonkey
Dec 29, 2008, 07:47 PM
There is a catch that is supposedly a "glitch" in the AT&T web store. Apparently, you can purchase a refurbished iPhone from their website for $149 (until 12/31/08 then it goes back to $199.) However, you can not upgrade to one (new or refurbished) if you are already an AT&T customer. I'm told the inability to upgrade to the refurbished device is a glitch in the store as when you go to select a phone the iPhone disappears and even if you do some manipulation of the URL to get it to show the refurbished iPhone (or even the new units) it will not give you the option to add it to the cart. However, after speaking to a rep they said if you want the additional discount simply call in before the promotion ends and they will note your account and when you are able to order an iPhone in a few days (supposedly) they can/will credit your account for the promotion.

they noted my acount for this as well. So do i just order the iphone at 149.99?

way2l84sanity
Dec 29, 2008, 09:34 PM
Yeahhh... I just called AT&T and the person I spoke with informed me that corporate was telling them explicitly that the refurb iPhone is for new customers or customers adding a new line only. Existing customers looking to upgrade don't even have the option of purchasing a refurb period, much less at the discounted price. And the new iPhone isn't discounted, either, of course.

The website makes it seem otherwise though. Such horrible policy.

Anyone able to actually upgrade to a refurb for $100 less anyway?

Yes, I was able to. I can happily say that I was able to purchase the 16gb white refurbished iphone. Although the $50 had to be credited to my account because of some "glitch" on ATT's site. I have it in my hand, received it today. I know there was some question about warranty, but I checked that on Apple's site and I am able to have their warranty and add AppleCare even though it was refurbished and bought from the ATT site. I will have to send Apple my proof of date of purchase because the warranty is about a month short but they have a pretty straight forward way to do that right on their site. :D

applemonkey
Dec 29, 2008, 10:00 PM
if they noted my account when do i call them. After or before i buy the iphone?

Marci
Dec 29, 2008, 10:48 PM
a savy AT&T person can build a compatible plan using rate codes found across the internet.

please share how you are able to do this - and where you get the rate codes/

Thanks!

Marci
Dec 29, 2008, 11:18 PM
I am about to click the "buy" button. Is the "one time activation fee" of $36 normal? Or is this just with the refurbs?

Shawn D
Dec 29, 2008, 11:29 PM
I am about to click the "buy" button. Is the "one time activation fee" of $36 normal? Or is this just with the refurbs?

It is perfectly normal to any new customers when activating a line.

Rayfire
Dec 29, 2008, 11:38 PM

No need to fret, that is normal. Read more here. (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iphone-info.jsp#0faqSection3)

mccldwll
Dec 30, 2008, 07:50 AM
if your ipod or iphone is out of warranty they will allow you to buy a service part phone (the new one they would have swapped you for under warranty) for a reduced price if the issue is the battery reaching end of life before a reasonable time. The price depends on the device I believe, but seem to all run between $80-100

Any idea where this might be found, in writing, or where it might be verified? Not that it doesn't make some sense financially, but why would someone buy Applecare for $69 to get another year if can get new refurb for $80-$100 if something goes wrong (unless also have to sign new 2 year contract, and go to 3G plan)?

hhlee
Dec 30, 2008, 08:08 PM
Not that it doesn't make some sense financially, but why would someone buy Applecare for $69 to get another year if can get new refurb for $80-$100 if something goes wrong (unless also have to sign new 2 year contract, and go to 3G plan)?

other than having to resign a 2 year contract and 3G plan, most people are refurb-skeptical so i'm sure most would still buy new.

charlituna
Dec 31, 2008, 12:13 AM
Any idea where this might be found, in writing, or where it might be verified? Not that it doesn't make some sense financially, but why would someone buy Applecare for $69 to get another year if can get new refurb for $80-$100 if something goes wrong (unless also have to sign new 2 year contract, and go to 3G plan)?

ddon't know where it would be in writing, sorry

as for the why. well how about saving at least $30 dollars for the first time and a lot more the rest of the times. cause with AppleCare if the failure isn't clearly cause you did it, they will swap the phone more than once.

and from what I understand, service part phones are not refurbs. they are new phones sent to the stores without all the goodies, sim card etc just for swaps.

personally I would rather get that than a refurb that I'm not sure about who verified that it's not a POS

stolen laptop
Dec 31, 2008, 07:56 AM
Well,
I've wasted a considerable amount of time on this now, and wanted to save anyone else from the frustration.
There is no way that they will let you upgrade to a refurbished iphone 3G. With or without the 50 promo, with it applied to your account or anything, they have changed their policy, the web page says nothing, but they will only let you have a refurbished model as a new customer.
As for the guy who did manage to already, you're a lucky sob. Anybody that got a promise that when they fixed the "glitch" they'd be able to get a refurbished iphone, good luck with that.
These guys at AT&T are worse than useless.

schwab
Dec 31, 2008, 01:53 PM
:D $99 iPhone Refurb - One Only - Now on the Premier Site until Midnight 12/31

obilix
Dec 31, 2008, 06:02 PM
:D $99 iPhone Refurb - One Only - Now on the Premier Site until Midnight 12/31

Bah! Humbug! :D

wish i had a premier account. :rolleyes:

mpshay
Jan 1, 2009, 08:05 AM
My 16 GB refurb iphone arrived yesterday. The sticker on the side off the boxes states "Refurbished iPhones have a full 1 year warrenty. You must retain receipt for warrenty claims through Apple"

Rayfire
Jan 2, 2009, 01:38 PM
Just to let everyone know, no more $99 pricing as it was only till the 31st of December 2008.

The prices are now back up to $149 (from $199) and $249 (from $299) respectively.