Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DjWoody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Clubland
Hello! First time poster, long time lurker.

I'm puzzled. I bought my girlfriend an 8gb iPod Touch at Target for Xmas. The iPod kept crashing even after I reformatted. So I went and returned it today. I took advantage that I was returning it to upgrade to the 16GB.

After driving around I couldn't find a 16GB at any Target nearby. I asked the sales man to check on the computer to see who had one. All targets in OC were sold out. So then I asked him when would he get one and he said he wasn't sure because the computer was showing as "DISCONTINUED." He then mentioned that usually when they say that, new ones are about to come out.

Hmmm should I wait til after Mac World? Or should I go to the Apple Store and get one there? Hmmmm

:eek::eek::eek:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I find it very unlikely that the 16 GB model would be discontinued any time soon, but who knows. It is a fact that 32 GB chips are now available, so technically Apple could upgrade the iPod touch line to 32 GB and 64 GB, but I just don't see them doing that - due to the cost of a 64 GB model, I think they would want to keep the 16 GB version around. I think it would be safe to say that we will not see the 16 GB iPod touch discontinued until the iPhone receives a 32 GB upgrade at the least, and even then I still see it sticking around for some time.

MWSF will potentially shed some light on this in a couple weeks though, so wait and see!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
There is no one less informed than a Target employee. The worst you will see is the 8 gb gone and the 64 gb introduced. At best, your 16gb will be the "base" model iPod Touch. Take your girlfriend's 8 gb iPod touch that you bought her, return it, trade up for the 16 gb and be done with it. It was a very nice gift regardless.

DjWoody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Clubland
Thanks guys! She said she's willing to wait to see if anything new comes out. Honestly, I kinda doubt it or else we would've heard by now. Hehehe

I WANT AN AVATAR!!! Gotta post more! hehe

:eek:

Cyclotrode

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Virginia
They more than likely have the 1st gen iPod touch still listed in their database which is why they showed them as discontinued.

Also remember that during the holiday season a lot of stores will have empty shelves on certain items and should be restocked by the first of the year.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thanks guys! She said she's willing to wait to see if anything new comes out. Honestly, I kinda doubt it or else we would've heard by now. Hehehe

:eek:
No, we would not have known sooner. Everything you hear is a rumor until the day of the announcement. But it is entirely up to you wait. What I don't recommend is posting as much as possible so you can get an avatar. ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003

Just do it the right way. ;) Please keep in mind that posting for the sake of posting is considered spamming and is a ban-able offense here on MacRumors. Instead, be an active member who makes valuable contributions to the community via assistance, discussions and the like, and I'm sure you'll find that you will naturally reach that milestone in no time without a need to focus on posting itself. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.