Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtlm22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
Hello,

I am looking for some help with what is the fastest software to convert .avi files or any other files to apple tv for a mac, i am aware of handbrake and visual hub,

However i am looking for a software program that i can buy, that may be faster !

I have been told that iskysoft is good and also imtoo, but this is only what the net says !

I would rather take someone's experience, and buy something i know that is fast and easy to use !

Please help if you can.

Many Thanks

mac&cheesey

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2008
I use Toast 9 Titanium. Seems to work well. Although I have no experience with Handbrake or any others.

m&c

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Fastest by far software wise is VisualHub.

However, the fastest overall has to be the dedicated h.264 hardware encoder from Elgato (http://www.elgato.com). The Turbo.264 is awesome and will encode a tv episode in around 12 minutes (for a 45min episode). Great.

VTMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Fastest by far software wise is VisualHub.

This is nothing more than a popular internet myth. Visual Hub (and pre-.9.3) versions of Handbake use the same open source libraries. The differences in speed are because VisualHub came with much lower default quality settings than Handbrake. This is has been further magnified by the fact that Handbrake .9.3 has been shipped with even higher default quality settings, which in many cases nearly double the amount of time to convert. Because most average users don't have any understanding of what the settings do, they use default settings and assume VisualHub is faster than Handbrake. If the equivalent settings are chosen for both Handbrake and VisualHub, Handbrake will win every time because Handbrake .9.3 uses the latest version of those open source libraries which are faster than previous.

And just for the record the same is true of Handbrake .9.2 and Handbrake .9.3. I've seen numerous people post that .9.3 is much slower than .9.2. Once again .. not even close to true. If you used the legacy settings in .9.3 (which as the same as .9.2) you will find in .9.3 to be faster.

Bottom line you have to be comparing apples to apples. And that means understanding what things like bitrate, video codecs, and decombing mean. If you don't understand those things, you probably can't accurately compare the speed of two competing products because no two competing products ship with the same default quality settings.

To answer the original question, I'm not aware of any consumer grade product that will encode any faster than handbrake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.