Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsanjeev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Hi all
Season greetings.
I have a MBP 17" Santa Rosa
It recently took a nasty 8 feet fall(yeah 8 feet!!!) while it was on it.Its still working fine but has few scratches/bruises and dents on the top cover.its still working fine.
I have 3 years apple care and its still under warranty.I Was wondering if i can claim a replacement from apple care.

However i had manualy replaced the hard disk to 500 GB Samsung M6

Did this void all warranties.If they do replace it,should i replace it with the original 160 gigs seagate HD and then give t to them

I know its a long shot but worth a try
regards

Luftwaffles

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2008
Kansas City, MO
AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage like that, plus I think you did void your warranty by installing a new hard drive yourself.

Getting those dents/scratches fixed (a new case, really) would run you upwards of $800, depending on the extent of the damage. You might as well order the parts and do it yourself, I doubt Apple would allow your warranty to continue given your modification.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Replacing the top cover makes a Tier 4 repair which is $1200USD and they basically give you a new (or rather refurbished) computer.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Hi all
Season greetings.
I have a MBP 17" Santa Rosa
It recently took a nasty 8 feet fall(yeah 8 feet!!!) while it was on it.Its still working fine but has few scratches/bruises and dents on the top cover.its still working fine.
I have 3 years apple care and its still under warranty.I Was wondering if i can claim a replacement from apple care.

However i had manualy replaced the hard disk to 500 GB Samsung M6

Did this void all warranties.If they do replace it,should i replace it with the original 160 gigs seagate HD and then give t to them

I know its a long shot but worth a try
regards

Why would you think that Apple would cover a repair for damages to the machine that YOU caused?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Do we seriously need 3 posts tell the OP it's not covered. We're suppose to be helping here, not indirectly saying "bad" things.

r88my

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Manchester UK
I don't see how replacing your hard drive would void your applecare at all. Its understood that it would only do so if damage occured as a result of you changing the drive. After all, apple has made the hard drive user replaceble on nearly all its current laptop line. You could always swap the drive back over to the factory one.

As others have mentioned though, your applecare won't cover accidental damage.

six.four

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2008
incredible that your MBP still works after an 8 foot drop. Did it land on carpet or something?

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
A top case would be the part where your keyboard, trackpad and speakers are housed. The display housing is what im assuming you are talking about and no that is not a simple repair. On MBP's you have to replace the whole display assembly IE LCD and everything which isnt cheap

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.