Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asif3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
London, UK.
Heya Guys & Gals,

Firstly, I thought I better point out I'm in the UK, so AppleCare isnt exactly the same as it is in the US (I presume..)

Anyways, I bought a top of the range 15" Albook in Oct 2003. I got all the mod cons - i.e. iSight, Lacie Porsche Hard drive, etc, just to make sure my PB was always happy. :)

Anyways, in Nov I notice the white spots. I'd read up on the problem, and I noticed people saying Apple didnt have the displays. Well, I thought 'who cares? i'm sure i'll get used to it, and maybe i'll send it in in a few months time'

Anyway, time went by, and I was in december - by this time the spots were getting worse, so I decided I better send it in. Christmas is always a busy time, so I waited till the the start of Jan to part with my little baby, and they collected her on I think the 6th of Jan. Well, it's the 27th of Feb and I dont have it back.

Now, I am very upset. I'm not soo upset becuase Apple are just not bothered about my laptop, I'm upset becuase it's not the sort of behaviour I would except. When I have to tug my old iBook around (snow 700), people are always saying 'Where's that nifty new powerbook of yours?'. It's in the repair shop is what I have to reply :(

Anyways, does anyone know what I can do about this? I dont want to get Apple in trouble, so i really dont want to call trading standards or anyone in. Am I likely to get some form of compensation? After spending £3000+ ($5000+) with them in one purchase, I would hope they could honour their customers.

Whats the likelyhood of them sending me a free iMac? after all 8 weeks *is* a long time :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Asif

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I sent my iBook in twice to Apple UK with mixed results. First time the courier came on tuesday, and returned with it on thursday - I was more than happy!!

Second time it was gone about 15 days. It could be a coinscidence, but it came 2 days after I spent an hour on the phone to Apple and got them to upgrade me to a PB.....

I agree with AppleMacDude... try calling them and get them to get their act together - don't pussyfoot around, they're not treating you right, you need your powerbook back - right??

Good Luck!

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
Call them. How much contact have you had with them so far? You should be bothering them weekly at least, and make sure they document they call as it is outragous.

As for the free iMac, there is more chance that the guys outside the SF store at this moment will be given a brand new G5 Powerbook free of charge as they enter the store! I wouldn't waste your breath asking, but I would demand the PB back within 7 days or you wants a replacement sent out FOC.

Good luck, and don't be so soft with them!

Marc

asif3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
London, UK.
Hi People,

Sorry for the delay - I didnt get a reply notification :(

Anyways, I have already spent £100+ calling them at peak times, becuase at all other times they cant do anything. EVERY time I call, they say 'We aren't sure whats going on. We'll phone you back tomorrow'

It's soo frustrating. Sometimes I laugh and sometimes I cry at how ridiculous this is getting. I do appreciate that there is the odd case, every now and again, that slips through the net, etc, But I would expect Apple to recognise their mistake and do something about it.

I've cancelled my order for a 20" cinema display for now. Firstly, because I dont have a PB to use it with, but secondly becuase I dont know if I want to give apple another £1000 after they've behaved like this.

What about if I go to their offices in cork - do you think that might help? I *need* my PB, and tbh I couldnt give a toss if it costs me £100 to get to Ireland - maybe I can get something done that way!

Any help appreciated,

Asif

asif3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
London, UK.
Oh, and about being soft with them - I cant help it! I think every time they see my call they route it to some polite young lady, who I cant shout at - becuase she's so polite and apologetic!

grrr... :)

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I sent my Powerbook 15" back to Applecare UK last week, they quoted 10 working days to me when I sent it in. For some reason the Bluetooth module had stopped working. This is my second 15" Al Powerbook the first had to be returned to John Lewis in Bristol because of the dreaded white spot problem last year. Hope you get your Powerbook back soon, I will be mad as h*ll if I have to wait 8 weeks for mine to come back.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
asif3 said:
Hi People,

Sorry for the delay - I didnt get a reply notification :(

Anyways, I have already spent £100+ calling them at peak times, becuase at all other times they cant do anything. EVERY time I call, they say 'We aren't sure whats going on. We'll phone you back tomorrow'

Document all contact (be polite, bu tindicate you are upset) and send an email to Jobs (steve@apple.com) Usually you get quick response when you do things like this. Jobs may not read the email, but osmeone with the ability to make things happen will read it.

asif3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
London, UK.
Bear said:
Document all contact (be polite, bu tindicate you are upset) and send an email to Jobs (steve@apple.com) Usually you get quick response when you do things like this. Jobs may not read the email, but osmeone with the ability to make things happen will read it.

Hiya,

Really? I was thinking of doing that, but I didnt want to be 'rude'. Sounds good! It sure would be cool if Steve did read it! I heard it was sjobs@apple.com though - can anyone confirm the correct address?

Thanks,
Asif

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
asif3 said:
Hiya,

Really? I was thinking of doing that, but I didnt want to be 'rude'. Sounds good! It sure would be cool if Steve did read it! I heard it was sjobs@apple.com though - can anyone confirm the correct address?

Thanks,
Asif
You might be right on the address.

As for sending email, I wouldn't do it on something little, but it has been 8 weeks for something that is a relatively easy fix (replace the screen with a good one). Also, point out how much it's cost you calling and the fact that they haven't gotten back to you when they said they would.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Asif3,

You need to phone up and complain to see what the problem is. My Powerbook went back to Apple Wens last week, but I got it back today. I am pretty impressed with Apple's turnaround. There must be a specific reason for your hold up.

Good Luck!

asif3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
London, UK.
James Craner said:
Asif3,

You need to phone up and complain to see what the problem is. My Powerbook went back to Apple Wens last week, but I got it back today. I am pretty impressed with Apple's turnaround. There must be a specific reason for your hold up.

Good Luck!

Hi,

I think we all know that every once in a while, a company slips up when it comes to support, and I think thats what's happened here. It's probably something trivial, like a number being entered in the support database wrong or something, but whatever it is, it's caused my powerBook to be held for 8 weeks. I know Apple isn't doing this on purpose, they're probably just too ignorant to realise something isn't right..

or am I being naive?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
asif3 said:
Hi,

I think we all know that every once in a while, a company slips up when it comes to support, and I think thats what's happened here. It's probably something trivial, like a number being entered in the support database wrong or something, but whatever it is, it's caused my powerBook to be held for 8 weeks. I know Apple isn't doing this on purpose, they're probably just too ignorant to realise something isn't right..

or am I being naive?

you're being very naive.... write a letter demanding that they have 14 days to return your PowerBook repaired or replaced, otherwise you'll be taking the matter further (you are within your rights as a consumer to do this).

asif3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
London, UK.
WOW!

I emailed Steve the other day, telling him about what happened, and how I know these things happen etc..

I just got a call from an Apple UK executive, who said that Steve had contacted the Apple UK office personally regarding this matter, and he said that he is just going to find out what the status of my repair is, and then get back to me!

Wow! Now I love Apple even more and I cant get this silly grin of my face!

:D :D :D :D

Asif

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
wow that is quite impressive. have you found the reason for the delay yet?

all i can say is long let steve be apple ceo!

asif3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
London, UK.
russed said:
wow that is quite impressive. have you found the reason for the delay yet?

all i can say is long let steve be apple ceo!

Indeed, NEVER leave Apple Steve!!

They don't know what the delay is yet - but I hope they haven't lost it :(. I had all my photos for the past 5/6 years on there 2000+ and I sort of forgot to back up my home folder before I sent it in :( Oh well!

P.S. I asked about compensation and the executive guy from the UK said they will definitely look into it for me as soon as my machine gets back.

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
That is quite impressive. I would have thought Steve Jobs gets an incredible amount of email, and to be honest I was going to say don't bother emailing him! Seems like he genuinely is a good egg.

As for your display, I don't believe that the Apple one is the best out there. Sure it is nice, but you can get some very nice displays, better, for less money. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple, and their kit is to die for, but the displays are not the best - many reviews show that they are good, but there is better - and certainly not the best price. Plus, I think I am right in saying they are overdue an update.

Do some looking around. I am sure that most of the people on here will tell you that you can't buy better, but not so many of these people will have actually compared several displays in real world test's next to each other, where as the magazines have.

Just some advice. :)

Marc

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
marccarter said:
That is quite impressive. I would have thought Steve Jobs gets an incredible amount of email, and to be honest I was going to say don't bother emailing him! Seems like he genuinely is a good egg.

As for your display, I don't believe that the Apple one is the best out there. Sure it is nice, but you can get some very nice displays, better, for less money. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple, and their kit is to die for, but the displays are not the best - many reviews show that they are good, but there is better - and certainly not the best price. Plus, I think I am right in saying they are overdue an update.

Do some looking around. I am sure that most of the people on here will tell you that you can't buy better, but not so many of these people will have actually compared several displays in real world test's next to each other, where as the magazines have.

Just some advice. :)

Marc
Sure, but how do you replace the display on a Powerbook with one not designed for it. Before you bash a product, you should make sure you're bashing the correct product. This thread was about an isssue with the display built into a Powerbook.

And actually the Apple Displays are acknowledged as being very good by many people. Yes, they do need a bit of an update, however, the ones Apple has are fine.

asif3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
London, UK.
Bear said:
Sure, but how do you replace the display on a Powerbook with one not designed for it. Before you bash a product, you should make sure you're bashing the correct product. This thread was about an isssue with the display built into a Powerbook.

And actually the Apple Displays are acknowledged as being very good by many people. Yes, they do need a bit of an update, however, the ones Apple has are fine.

Hiya,

I think he was referring to the post where I said I ordered an Apple cinema display but then cancelled it. I love the apple displays, and I would choose it over a formac display any day - because to me, really, aesthetics are the most important thing, and nothing beats the Apple studio displays.

But, I would feel like I fool if I bought one and then Apple released one to match my PB 2 weeks later, dont you think?

I'm gonna hang in there for a few more weeks, to see if Apple release new displays. If not I'll probably buy a new 17" iMac or something. I hate lots of leads coming out of my PB :cool:

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
asif3 said:
WOW!

I emailed Steve the other day, telling him about what happened, and how I know these things happen etc..

I just got a call from an Apple UK executive, who said that Steve had contacted the Apple UK office personally regarding this matter, and he said that he is just going to find out what the status of my repair is, and then get back to me!

Wow! Now I love Apple even more and I cant get this silly grin of my face!

:D :D :D :D

Asif

Which address did you use?

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
I can't believe Steve actually reads emails that go to that adress... I mean, there are a lot of Apple-fanatics out there, wouldn't his Junk Mail filter go crazy? Well, if it indeed worked for you, I must say Apple is really the most unusual company out there. Stevie's the best :cool:

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
TheT said:
I can't believe Steve actually reads emails that go to that adress... I mean, there are a lot of Apple-fanatics out there, wouldn't his Junk Mail filter go crazy? Well, if it indeed worked for you, I must say Apple is really the most unusual company out there. Stevie's the best :cool:

I'm sure he has some kinda secretary that filters out the "Thanks steve - you legend" emails from the "I have a serious problem with your company steve" emails....

Or 'Steve' is a computer controlled bot... That automatically emails relevant emails to UK 'Exec's - who are just phone operators putting on a posh accent :p

Or not...

asif3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
London, UK.
hob said:
I'm sure he has some kinda secretary that filters out the "Thanks steve - you legend" emails from the "I have a serious problem with your company steve" emails....

Or 'Steve' is a computer controlled bot... That automatically emails relevant emails to UK 'Exec's - who are just phone operators putting on a posh accent :p

Or not...

You're skating on thin ice there sunny Jim :p the 'Or not' bailed you out this time!

Anyways, I'm sure his mail is filtered. Maybe he was reaaaly bored, so he decided to follow mine up :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.